BC Boards

Non-AKC Dog Sports

Hello all,

I'm struggling to find non AKC dog sports and events. I'd like to try a few new things with Tess, and potentially Crow in the future, but so far I'm not having any luck.

I know there are numerous non-AKC agility venues, but what about other sports? Rally, competitive obedience, etc?

If it helps, my location is Lexington, KY.

Thanks for the help.

There are currently five sanctioning bodies for Rally-O in the United States: the American Kennel Club (AKC); World Cynosport (formerly the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT)); Canine Work and Games (C-Wags;)and Canines and Humans United (CHU). The United Kennel Club (UKC) added rally obedience to their program as of January 2009, and the Swedish Working Dog Club (SBK) added it in July 2011.

That's according to wiki.

I know NOTHING of competitive obedience.

I know flyball has its own organization. I think most other sports do, too. The real issue is going to be finding venues for them. AKC is everywhere.

That's according to wiki.

I know NOTHING of competitive obedience.

I know flyball has its own organization. I think most other sports do, too. The real issue is going to be finding venues for them. AKC is everywhere.

I found the wikipedia page but then I couldn't really find any follow up about the different organizations who how to go about finding events. The couple of things I did find weren't up to date. Yes, the problem I have been finding it that the AKC is everywhere. Why doesn't Tess have her CGC? Is one of the questions I hear all the time.

Thanks, Rufftie! I will look into the asca.

Rally: World Cynosport (USDAA), Cyber Rally-O (video), C-Wags, ASCA (I think), UKC

Agility: CPE, UKI, USDAA, Docna, ASCA, UKC, NADAC, Teacup, the VALOR Project (video)

Obedience: CDSP, UKC, ASCA

Musical Freestyle: The Dogs Can Dance Challenge (video), WCFO (live or video), MDSA (live or video), CFF, Paws 2 Dance, Cyber Rally-O (video), Rally Freestyle Elements (live or video)

Rally/Freestyle Hybrid: Rally Freestyle Elements Rally FrEe (live or video), Cyber Rally-O (video), C-Wags

Those are all the non-AKC sport venues I can think of off the top of my head. Lots to choose from, and lots of video options if you live in an area where a particular sport/venue is not offered.

Nosework is NASCW and soon to be UKC.

Flyball is NAFA or UFli.

Barn hunt association I think is the barn hunt group...

Just a couple I'm familiar with that weren't outright mentioned by name. I know nothing of obedience or rally.