BC Boards

How many walkies

As a pretty knew person to this great sight,i just wanted to get a rough idea how many times people take there bc out in a day or for how long.Mine gets 2 walks a day 30-45 each time...the first time with toys so i can polish up our training while playing and then a good longish walk second time.Plus we play at home and in the garden.But sometimes through work i can only get her out for 1 45 min walk........do you think thats plenty? i guess i just feel guily if i miss 1 off as dogs love there walks....

My dogs get either a 4ish mile hike up and down hills off leash, them running around like wild animals or an hour walk on leash- guess which one they like best :rolleyes: Then they get a good 45 min of ball fetching in a big field by our house. Besides that we wrestle indoors and play mind-stimulating games. I can always tell if Moose needs a walk because his behavior hits an all time low- whining, barking, attacking big brother...

We have a schedule here...

Morning: Run 4 miles, play ball.

Lunchtime: Walk 1-2 miles, play ball.

Dinnertime: Walk 1-2 miles, play ball.

I stick with Tess's usual routine even when we go somewhere on the weekend. When I go see my parents, if I get home after dark, we skip the last round outside and have a ball game inside. Tonight, though, Tess was so tired from playing tug with my dad that she is still sleeping on the couch where I left her when I finished my book.

We hike on the weekends. And, of course, play ball. I keep the fetching toys out of reach and she knows she gets a game after a walk, so she is always eager to hear the word "walk." :rolleyes: I recently found that an offleash area that is at the beach here is actually quite nice and is practically empty on a rainy day, so that's a nice change from the mud on the trails.

I got Tess some soft frisbee-type things and have thrown those a time or two. She does not get the whole bring it back idea with something other than ball yet. Once she has the retrieving part down for a new object, I'll teach her to catch one in her mouth. Then I figure she will be confident about catching the frisbee thing in mid air the way she leaps up and grabs the ball.

When it is warm enough (and not muddy in the yard, don't want Tess to slip or fall), we have agility stuff set up and we practice that before we do a real fetch game (throwing the ball is her reward for doing an obstacle or two).

We do training whenever I fit it in. I try to do 10 minutes or so a day. Right now we are working on "heel" and "come" and also "beep, beep, beep" (back up), "dance" (jump around while standing on hind legs), and "take a bow." I got a book with a bunch of other stuff in it, too. And of course we practice what she already knows each time, too.

With everyone raving about hide and seek, I am going to start that with Tess. She has a great sniffer, but the toy has to really be something else to get her to go looking for it instead of going to ask my husband to make me give it to her. :D I thought I'd also try hiding treat toys with liver inside for her to find. I'll start easy, letting her see me hide something, then work up to having her find something I hide while she is out of the room. This would be a fabulous activity to keep her busy while my husband or my mom is watching her for me, I think.

Having a dog is so much fun. Having a smart dog is just beyond all the fun I thought I'd be having. I love having a dog to do stuff with. It's like, now my family does not look at me like I am nuts. "Oh, I have to go on a walk now. You know, the dog needs her walk..." Finally, a genuine reason to be outside 3 times a day walking or jogging in the pouring rain. :D

Allie & Tess

Allie - is this your first BC? I am asking because you sound just like I did when I got my first and it was just this wonderful world of discovery! I went from beagles (sweet dogs but not a BC!) to a border collie, and, well you know what I mean...big difference! And I love your beep, beep, beep command for back up...I just use the words back up. Maybe I should be a little more inventive!

depends on the day and the weather. they got a 2 hour run in the park on tuesday, and they dont go anywhere on wed. because I am at dance. on thursday they went for a half hour walk, yesterday it was to cold and today I am sick, so they are only gettin mental exersize today and they got some yesterday, when I made them help me with my chores lol in the summer they get like a 4-5 hour run every day to every other day, generally to the creek for a swim and run on the bike path to dry off.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonzo gets 2-3 walkies a day, at least 30 minutes each. In the morning he usually runs a few miles with my sister. We go to our nieghborhood park and he plays ball/frisbee/with his friends from the 'hood for at least 1 hour near the end of the day. I walk him to the lake to play ball on the beach when the weather is nice.

It's insane how much we BC people walk our dogs compared to other people ... I would say, 5% of people in my nieghborhood with dogs actually walk them on a regular basis at all. I know this girl who has an adorable BCxCattle dog, who is morbidly obese, and she always jokes that I spend all of my time walking my dog. People don't understand that these dogs NEED exercise like they need food, water and air. It's really not my choice to exercise him, I either do it or he cries all day and tears our house apart :rolleyes:

Good Topic

I am in the process of training my Border for Frisbee Competion. And we do lots of Distance Throws which are also sprints for him and I do a lot of Free style practice with, He gets pretty tired. But sometimes I just feel like some more long walks will do him good also. We do usually get in a few five mile walks a week in between the training.

I'm not training for a marathon at the moment (next one will be spring 2006) so this amount of exercise is really mild for me.

Weather? Ha! We laugh in the face of weather. Unless it is too hot, then we go to the beach or the trails where there is shade and/or a breeze. Of course, we do not live in Alaska and our weather is easy to laugh off... :rolleyes:

Allie & Tess

Oh so you do marathons. You probably laugh at us who can barely go 2 miles with a dog :rolleyes::D LOL I bet your BC feels quite lucky to be owned by a runner!!

I like jogging myself, and the only time i go jogging past 5 miles is when I'm at our beach house. I'll wake up at 5am and go jogging 5 miles up the coast and 5 miles back - walking sometimes of course. Feels good in the ocean breeze!

lol my dad is a marathone runner and trainer with the running room. to bad I am not lol the girls get LONG walks and runs in the summer but the weather around here is terrable in the winter sometimes down to -50*C and colder to unless your up for frost bite you dont go outside a heck of a lot when you can help it lol summers however get really really hot so I put on short and a tang top, grab my bike and take them to run around the bike path and swim in the creek for hours and of coarse I always gotta make a stop at the water park and let them play in the sand and kids like to hose the girls lol its also amusing to put them in a sit stay in the center of the fountain when its off then turn it on lol it does not scare them as they LOVE water but the look on their face when they are all of a sudden surrounded by water shooting all around them lol its pricless! I have actually walked the thing before, 5 hours straight of solid walking, my legs were in auto walk by the end, I could not stop, litterally my legs just kept on going and going... lol

I am a slow runner... takes me 4.5 hours to run a marathon. Once I did it in 4 hours and 24 minutes, though. I was speedy that day! :rolleyes:

If I am on some kind of course where you can see the head runners zip by, I just remind myself that those poor souls do not have the stamina to run for 4.5 hours. Poor things. I pity them. :D

And of course, I burn twice as many calories as the fast people. This means when I get home I get to eat twice the ice cream. :D

Tess loves to run. She drags me out the door every morning. So far she has done 6 miles with me. We will work up to more, and as we do so, I will plan routes that have good resting spots so I can stretch and she can lay down and have some water (Tess always lays down to drink and has since she was a tiny pup).

This is part of why I need another dog. I need running partners for my long runs; the really long ones I can split between the two dogs.

Allie & Tess