BC Boards

What areas has your BC not mastered yet?

This is the companion thread to "What does your dog know?"

Boyden is learning "heel", "come", "fetch", not to bark at people when they get too close to the car, and is continuing to work on his SA. He doesn't understand "speak", so am looking for a dog nearby to set an example. I just can't get him to vocalize. He still needs work on "let go".

Tess knows let's go, sit, down, stay, leave it, crawl, shake/other paw, high five, gimme ten, spin around/twirl, go left/go right (around something). She also goes potty on command and is housetrained. She knows sit up and touch, too. And she goes into her crate with the command "in you go" during the day and "cookies!" at night. Also, she knows what "feed my fish" means. It means go bonkers and try to climb into the fish tank to Tess. :rolleyes:

She is still learning heel, come, and is completely obsessed with cars (and has been since she was 7.5 weeks old when she began trying to leap out of my arms after them as I walked her around the neighborhood).

Oh, and she is still learning to fetch properly. She will chase the ball, pick it up, and mostly bring it back. The problem comes of getting her to bring it all the way and to give up the ball so I can throw the other one. Some days are good, some days are an exercise in frustration for me (Tess always has a good time, though :D ).

I would teach her to speak on command, but she already barks plenty. :D

I don't want to get another dog until Tess knows heel and come really well. I figure the heel will help with the car problem, but I am going to end up managing that one instead of fixing it, I think.

Allie & Tess

Happy knows:sit, down, stay, stand, up, weave between my legs, paw, other paw, high five, wave, plays catch with a basketball as is she throws it back, spin, roll over, hid, find me, find it(exactly the same way a drug detection dog does), all agility commands, all flyball commands, all frisbee stuff, a few freestyle moves,mostly everything involved in schutzand exept a walking sit/down/stand we are workin on that one lol,speak, count, her age, and all my other dogs ages,fluff the pillow, kill it(shake it), heel on and off lead, biking commands, I ride my bike with her but I keep her off lead when doing this and I stay to the side of the road, so she has commands to move in or out so she know what to do before I run her over with my bike lol, bow, hug, etc...

Misty knows:sit, down, stand, stay, all agility commands, all flyball commands, frisbee stuff, freestyle stuff, bang, stick em up, paces, go potty(on the toilet), flush, close the lid, open the lid, get the light, say your prayers,are you a bad girl?(hits herself on the nose lol), paw, other paw, bow, walk like a people.....the list goes on lol Happy know more simple tricks, Misty mostly knows a bunch of complicated tricks lol

Nellie knows sit, shake, come, "High Five", wave. She will potty on command.

She is great with fetch of the frisbee but anywhere from bringing it back and sitting in front of us and reaching it up to dropping it 5 feet behind us and take off running for the next throw. In the snow she tends to come half way back and decide that she has to roll in the snow chewing her frisbee and when called she starts coming, drops the frisbee and comes over, tell her to "get the frisbee" she will walk over and pick it up "come" she drops it and comes over and this continues for way too long. This usually only happens when it is really cold outside, I think her brain freezes lol.

We are working on heel, sit-stay, down-stay, roll over, "GET YOUR #@&*% SNOUT OUT OF THE %(@ CAT FOOD." :rolleyes:

haven't worked very much on the heel thing...maybe I will start when weather breaks..she has not learned yet NOT to be so jealous..she is jealous if I say abird is pretty..she'll come to me hug me and NOT let me look at bird..(wild birds outside)..or butterly or cat..anything living....LOL

Originally posted by CaelinTess:

Oh, and she is still learning to fetch properly. She will chase the ball, pick it up, and mostly bring it back. The problem comes of getting her to bring it all the way and to give up the ball so I can throw the other one.

I'm still trying hard to get Boyden interested in balls/toys, etc. I'm not having a whole lot of success. If I throw a ball he may very well take the time to turn his head to watch it whiz by. He may also put great effort into following the ball until it stops. Anything he does after that, like picking it up or attempting to bring it back is the exception and not the rule. He likes his rope more than anything and will pick that up more often, but will fly past me in a game of "catch me if you can". :rolleyes:

Jackson knows:

basic commands, get it, drop it, leave it, shake, wave, bang(play dead), c'mon (get over next to me), load up(get in your kennel), under, over, up, ball, out, frisbe, sock, stick, water(drink), sweep(go check on the ducks and chickens), various casual forms of come here like get over here, right now(pointing),motioning to come, can't think of more, lots of things I've never taught him, he just picks stuff up, like many other dogs you've all told me about.

What he doesn't know?

Jackson refuses to properly heel, he HATES it. Doesn't know that strange dogs don't always want to eat him, only sometimes and I'll let him know when. Will never learn the new cat really hates him, he never gives up trying to play with that hissing cat, doesn't matter how many times his nose has been scratched. I know his persistence must be good for something, and no I don't mean obsessivly licking rocks(yum).

Riley needs to work on being silent around other dogs when on leash. Depending on the other dog's behavior he will growl at them, or whine at me to allow him to play. He'll sit or heel on a loose lead while he's at it, but it's still a nuisance. One woman at Petco decided to train her dog around Riley, so she kept circling the aisle and having her doberman sit-stay. Riley didn't know what they heck they were doing, just knew another dog was circling him then staring him down and after softly growling for a bit he burst into a full out coon hound baying howl-bark. We were out of there pretty fast! :mad:

teaching classes... aahhhh now THAT would be a dream job to have on the side lol I would love to when I am older, but not to many people are willing to trust a 17 year old with their dogs training lol

The most recent class I took with Tess had an apprentice trainer!! She was a sophomore in high school, I think. Not sure. Maybe a senior and had been the apprentice since she was a sophomore? She had been doing it for 2-3 years.

So you never know. (: Tess LOVED the apprentice but did not like the instructor that much. :rolleyes:

Allie & Tess