BC Boards

How to get started in Freestyle

RemsMom

Fenzi Dog Sports Academy has a class starting this week that gives and intro to Freestyle. I have taken a couple bronze level classes and have been quite impressed and learned a lot about the skill presented. So, while I hardly know anything about freestyle, I feel pretty confident recommending their classes :)

The Fenzi classes are great, and little Bandit is going to be taking the Freestyle/Rally FrEe class (I splurged on gold, but I view it as an investment in what I hope will be a phenomenal Freestyle future for him).

I also have an online training school (much, much smaller than the Fenzi Academy) and I will be offering my introductory Freestyle class, starting around the beginning of November. I offer full participation for very reasonable prices.

Judy Gamet also does online Freestyle training and she has an introductory class that is priced very reasonably, but is an auditor-style class only.

If you are interested in either of those options, let me know and I can PM you information.

As far as events goes, it depends on what type of Freestyle you want to do - there are a few different types. You can check out websites for World Canine Freestyle Organization, Musical Dog Sport Association, Rally Freestyle Elements (they have a Freestyle division) in the US for live events. CFF (Canine Freestyle Federation) also does events in the US, but they are a very secretive organization. You have to be a member to even know their rules, so I don't recommend it on principle.

Also, the Dogs Can Dance Challenge offers three events per year by video and you can film and enter from anywhere. I highly recommend looking into this. The work I am starting to see in the Dogs Can Dance Challenge is the most artistic and beautiful Freestyle I have seen in a long time. It's not as highly trick oriented as the other venues, but it has a lot to offer, and there are three divisions, so there really is something for everyone.