BC Boards

Lanky

Hello again. I posted on this board several months ago when I was looking for a border collie. I finally rescued a sweet border collie from a nearby shelter. The only problem was, she didn't know she was a border collie. She was very much a couch potato who just wanted to be loved. My daughter fell in love with her and she went to live with her and her family and is one very happy dog.

I then started the search again. I couldn't find anybody with a working line puppy so I ended up getting an AKC puppy. Her name is Jazz.

Jazz is now 10 months old and to me looks more like she's from working lines. She's tall and lanky and at 9 months weighed 41.5 pounds. She's very smart and very in tune to me. Sometimes I think she can read my mind. She loves to run and would probably become ball obsessed if I wasn't careful. She loves people and other dogs. She wants to play with everything and everybody. She also loves kids. She's such a joy.

The breeder sent me the following link:

http://www.possumhollowfarms.com/InMemory.htm

Lanky was Jazz's great grandfather. He's from Possum Hollow Farms. I can't find the article they mentioned anywhere. I emailed Possum Hollow but have yet to hear back.

Has anyone heard of Lanky or know where I can get a copy of the September 2002 issue of Stockdog Magazine? I would love to know more about him.

I know Jazz will fill out in the following months and I could be indulging in wishful thinking, but I want to know more about her. Maybe I got lucky. No matter what she's my girl and I'm glad we ended up together.

Gail

I knew Lanky back when he was being trialed, but that was long enough ago that I can't really give you any useful information about him. But he was definitely working bred.

FWIW, not all AKC registered border collies look like show dogs. It really depends on what the breeder was breeding for, and in this case apparently it wasn't for show.

J.

Hi Borg Queen

She was actually being bred for conformation. Her father is a champion but didn't go beyond that due to a chipped or missing tooth (pretty silly, huh?) Her mother is a grand champion. The kennel she came from is a small kennel with 2 or 3 litters a year. But there are sports dogs in her background (their father or grandfather being Lanky). I'm interested in how good Lanky was. I know he was featured in An article in Stockdog Magazine but it appears that the magazine was short lived and maybe even just getting started when he was in it. Not sure but maybe that's why I can't find much information on it except an ad in 2002.

Can a dog have a genetic throwback to be more like a great grandfather than her parents?

It's great to hear from someone who actually knew Lanky. Thanks for posting.

Gail

Hi Gail,

I honestly don't remember enough about Lanky and how he worked to be able to make any coherent comments about him. I was a novice at the time myself. I don't remember a lot of trial wins, but that may well be a testament to his handler rather than to him. He seemed a good farm dog, and certainly was a "go to" dog for his owner for work on the farm.

Hopefully Vicky at Possum Hollow will write back to you.

FWIW, I have often been told by old timers that if you want the best idea of what the offspring of a particular cross will be, you might want to look at the grandparents. I wouldn't consider your dog a "throwback" per se, but just breeding to her line, especially if Lanky is on both the sire's and dam's side.

J.

I received an email from Vicky at Possum Hollow Farm. She referred me to the memorial on their website and said Lanky was the best dog she ever had. That made my smile even bigger.

I replied and asked her where I could find the article about him and told her my story. I hope I hear something back.

Gail