BC Boards

Age is just a number

Wick has been competing in agility since 2002. I'll never know how old she is (she was a pregnant stray whom I adopted through rescue after she whelped) but given that her pups are turning 13 in December, she must be around 14 (I like to think she was a teenage mom).

I run her infrequently now, but she can still rock it out in the veterans classes. Last weekend, I let her have a go at Masters Jumpers and she won her class with a run that was over 5 yards per second.

She has no startline stay anymore, and she screams feedback at me frequently on course. She is fast and sassy, and an absolute blast to run.

That was awesome to watch. She's having a blast!

Agility and flyball and freestyle and whatnot are all like alien things to me and I always find myself amazed and impressed by how much fun the dogs seem to be having. Then I consider the sort of training that must take and ... yeah ... no ... could not do it ... so glad some people can.

Yay for Wick. It is wonderful to watch an older dog having great fun. "Wait", says Wick, "who's old?"

Then I consider the sort of training that must take and ... yeah ... no ... could not do it ... so glad some people can.

As for agility, training techniques have undergone a seachange in the past 5-7 years. Most of the 'newer' techniques are just a variation on playing games with your dog so you and your dog enjoy the training. It is not the 'old-fashioned' type of obedience-agility that I was introduced to about 12-14 years ago.

That was awesome to watch. She's having a blast!

Agility and flyball and freestyle and whatnot are all like alien things to me and I always find myself amazed and impressed by how much fun the dogs seem to be having. Then I consider the sort of training that must take and ... yeah ... no ... could not do it ... so glad some people can.

Dogs get old when they don't have a purpose in life, whatever that purpose may be. Same as people really.

Way to go Wick....she certainly was having a great time :) When I finally got to watch 'Away to Me' a few nights ago, the bonus feature was of the championship run at Soldier Hollow. The dog was 11 years old....it was truly a pleasure to watch :)

That is so awesome and encouraging! She looks fantastic. My little papillon and I started agility foundations when she was 8. We did her first trial at age 9 and is now working on her 11th year and still going strong! It's been a blast and she's a great dog to run and learn with. Every run is a joy and I'm just really thankful my dog can still have so much fun. My last dog was acting a lot older by this point in her life.

I love seeing active older dogs. I really feel like it has brought new life into my girl. She even learned how to play with toys. She absolutely loves the sport so I hope to keep going as long as she can play safely.

Here she is with her first Q.

9277788835_21be9ab4e2.jpg

Q by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr
She's my buddy.
9280659434_369f2f4672.jpg
agility by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr
I wish more people would not discount older dogs! They can sure surprise you!

My 13 year old terrier got a 6 mile walk up a steep hill (600 steps) and across pretty rocky terrain today. I was huffing and puffing and making sure to stop for little breaks to 'rest the dog' (getting over flu), she was ahead of me at the end of the lead telling me to go faster.

I did contemplate photoshopping her black and white so's I could post the pictures here...

I decided to do a bit of competitive obedience with my hound cross and took Ross along for company. I thought I might as well enter him too and he won me out of a grade at the age of 12 not having done any formal obedience training for about 7 years. I definitely agree that we shouldn't underestimate the older dogs.