BC Boards

Single coat?

Out of curiosity I'm wondering if anyone has a a BC that is not double coated? Maizey is 7.5 months and I guess you would call her smooth coated but her fur is long and very soft but her skin can easily be seen. This being our first full BC pup my interest has been peaked. Izzy is a mix and her coat is lab like. Tobey is medium rough I guess, double coated that takes forever to dry. Maizey dries in about 30 minutes from sopping-wet-do-not dare-jump-on-the-couch to dry.

I also noticed her feet are webbed but Tobey isn't nor was Zoey.

I feel like I'm always learning about the breed which I love :)

Young dogs often have thin coats. She'll probably develop more undercoat after she hits 2, if not before.

Tansy, who's a mix just over 2 1/2, had little undercoat until this year. Now all of a sudden I'm combing all sorts of undercoat out. :blink:

And, yes, border collies have webbed feet. A lot of breeds do. I just discovered the other day that boxers do, too.

I'm very curious to see what her coat will do, and how she will finish growing. She looks part baby deer part fox right now. I have noticed as well that her coordination has gotten better over the past three weeks. Her birthday is Christmas Day so as she gets towards a year it will be cold and maybe an undercoat will come in.

post-10145-0-18105000-1407585757_thumb.jpg

Coat also depends largely on the climate conditions the dog is living in. I live in Colorado, and my dogs live in the house with me. I sent my youngest to train in Canada last winter, where he lived outside. He developed a very thick and bushy undercoat that stayed and did not begin to shed until the end of June of this year (he came back home and resumed living in the house in April). He spent six weeks shedding a crazy amount and now has a thin coat again without much undercoat. He looks like a completely different (and much smaller) dog now.

I've attached a photo of Gus from last winter and two I just took now. I actually think the photos are not as dramatic as real life, but I think they show how much a coat can change due to change in climate.

post-4091-0-89625500-1407694463_thumb.jpg post-4091-0-90646900-1407696709_thumb.png post-4091-0-30143300-1407696032_thumb.png

Oh wow! I certainly see a difference. She was born in Ohio sold to a home in Penn. Then this spring went to the rescue in upper NY then to a foster in VT the to us in Mass. Whew. Lots of homes in a short period! We shall see what this winter brings!