BC Boards

Frequent Urination w/ Slight Blood in Pee After Spay

Impulse1578

We brought our 4 month old girl Kai in to get spayed this past Friday. She slept pretty much all day Friday and was lethargic Saturday, but Sunday she seemed back to her old self with lots of energy. Monday we noticed that her incision site was slightly inflamed and that she was urinating more frequently than normal, sometimes squatting down without peeing at all or occasionally having a small amount of blood in her pee. We took her to the vet on Tuesday and they said the incision sight was inflamed but nothing too serious. They did a Urinalysis and found she had a slightly elevated White Cell count, but they didn't think it was a UTI or Bladder Infection because she isn't having any pain with urination, nor was she in pain when they palpated her stomach. They gave us a 9 day course of an antibiotic called Simplicef which she has been on since Tuesday, but she is still urinating a lot and there will still occasionally be some blood in her pee. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and she is still eating and drinking plenty of water as well with her normal amount energy.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it still too soon for the Antibiotics to have killed the infection completely? I'm worried because the Vet said if the frequent urinating and blood don't stop they would have to do an Ultrasound to see if there was something pressing on her bladder which could mean they would have to open her up again. This is our first puppy so someone please feel free to tell me if I am over reacting. I appreciate any input. Thank you.

Well, I am NOT a vet nor am I particularly qualified to dispense advice about dogs except that I have owned a lot of them.

That said, anytime blood is dispensed via stool or urine, it's a concern. I think it's maybe a trust issue ... do you trust your vet? If you do then accept the advice, follow the instructions and wait and see. If you do not, get a second opinion from another vet.

It is unlikely that anyone on a forum could help you make that decision.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

My old female recently had a UTI with blood, frequent urination etc. She was dramatically improved within 24 hours of the first dose of antibiotic.

Ultrasounds are non invasive and neither of my dogs needed sedation. If the bleeding does not improve, I would do the ultrasound sooner rather than later.