BC Boards

A brag about my patient and flexible dog

A little back story first, Rievaulx came to me as a 4 month old rescue puppy born in a barn in Pennsylvania, he grew up to be a cautious dog who has looked to me for protection. He could be a little leash aggressive when highly aroused, and had become scared of children on any sort of wheels ( a text book case of transferring fear to the wrong thing, I was there when it happened) but to those that don't know him well he carries himself like a confident dog. He became a great dog to play agility, with throws himself wholeheartedly into anything I want to do with him, learn a trick or new command, his attitude is lets to do it.

At the end of April we sold our house his home for 4+ years, much of our furniture, trucks etc and headed to Europe. He has now been in 5 countries, and had dinner in the principality of Monaco, been to pubs in the UK, had croissants for breakfast in France and is now living in a 5 floor walk up in the middle of a city. And throughout all of this he has been calm and just an unbelievably good traveling companion, he has has been mauled by children, growled at by small rude French dogs, got car sick on absurd French mountain roads that station wagons do not belong on, walked beside running diesel trucks on the ferry deck, a vehicle that formerly terrified him and not once has he reacted nervously to any of this, as long as I am with him all is well.

I have also been amazed how well in each place he has adapted and how the basic commands we have I have been able to apply to new situations. In England my mother lives almost on the beach, but the road is used heavily for parking and we were concerned about him running out to the green, very quickly he learned at the end of the drive he sat and waited for permission to cross (no leads needed on the walk). In Palma we are living an apartment with terrazzo steps and really open rails, a dog could slide under very easily, so I used wait on each landing and within 24 hours he got the idea, and happily walks beside (against the wall) me. And as for leash walking, never our strong suit well when you are surrounded by people there is not much point in being away from me!

I beyond proud of my dog.

People often focus too much on what a dog can't do rather than what it can and they can surprise us. You weren't as restricted as some while in the US and he will have had more freedom to be a dog. You are right to be proud of him and yourself for helping him build such a bond of trust.

He sounds similar to my late Ross. Terrified of people to the extent that he would pee if anyone looked at him when we got him at 18 months but coped well with all the scary things in life as long as he was with me and even grew to love and seek fuss from strangers. Gunshots / thunder, heavy traffic, hotel stays, even the crowds and noise of Crufts didn't faze him at all.

Well, you know what they say, he didn't pick it up off the stones...

Well done! Imagine what his life could have been like with someone else, relegated to the backyard. Instead it sounds like he's had about as full a life as dog ever gets, more than many humans do.