BC Boards

What's the best thing your dog ever taught YOU?

Amongst a myriad of other lessons, (many of which have already been mentioned) Sometimes you get what you need, sometimes you need what you get. And there are so many lessons to be learned from both scenarios. And the "perfect" dog can come in a variety of packages and sometimes is found where you least expect it.

Sammie taught me that some dogs just need to be allowed to be themselves. That some dogs don't fit into any mold and are happy just being who they are.

And Bandit . . . well, I don't know yet. That remains to be seen. Right now all he has taught me is that I love him an awful lot and that I am so, so, so very glad he is here!

My vet said something interesting, he said in his experience people tend to get the dog they deserve, and to a certain extent make the dog they get. Allowing for genetics and such, people have such a huge influence over what a dog is taught and how it's kept that a dog will often reflect that care back to them.

Her name was Nova, she was my childhood dog. Half Symon, half collie. Nova was a true loving dog, not a mean bone in her body, she cared for every baby critter on the farm as if it was her own, She was a lover! She was always there for me, never ever did she let me go off for my adventures and not be at my side.

My life was anything but normal, I lived in a very sad world, my only salvation was the animals and my art. Nova knew this. When things got bad Nova would come to me, I would hold her and cry my eyes out, she understood. Some how that dog always made things better. I learned from Nova that no matter how bad life is that she always would be there for me, never judging me, never having to say a word, just there letting me know everything would be ok. I learned how to deal with bad situations, I learned that when someone needs to vent the best thing to do is be there for them, sometimes not saying a word helps much more then pouring advice and opinions on a person. I learned that I was worthy of being loved. I learned kindness, I learned what love is! A big reason why I am alive today is because of Nova! She saved my life a few times, but she also gave me a reason to live, to never give up no matter how bad life gets. I know this may sound a bit crazy but its true. Nova was the only one in my world who cared about me, I didnt hardly realize it half the time. I had her, she had me and that made life good.

Nova died at the age of 17 and a half.

Journey, on 10 Aug 2014 - 06:31, said:

snapback.png

Mine have taught me to keep a clean house!

LOL Mine have taught me it's not so important if the house isn't always clean. ;)

I was quite a messy person before getting a puppy... but I didn't want him to eat anything dangerous so I very quickly became a neat person. He just LOVED putting any small object in his mouth to eat. so he taught me to be a cleaner person too, lol.

He has taught me that children and puppies are basically the same in the way they learn. I teach kids and have applied dog training techniques(horrible, i know) to that and it works and vice versa.

A good 'stop that' often works for both. You can't expect to sit them down with Disneyland outside and want them to keep still and quiet without giving them a good reason. Your expectations matter but don't expect them to learn something you're not teaching.

Yeah, I can see the similarities!

Teaching is teaching - you're 'installing' a new concept in a more or less receptive consciousness. The details change from species to species, individual to individual, situation to situation. The more you teach successfully, the more able you are to read situations and individuals.

In my mind, it breaks down to teaching these kinds of things: Trust me, No, NO!, Yes, only when I tell you, stay there quietly, and ohgodthatscute!

Ruth and SuperGibbs

I have four dogs, two which are really soft dogs. They have taught me how to be calm and let it go. ( still working on perfecting this though). They both pick up stress, even quiet stress, like you are screaming. My mantra "its okay". What an amazing lesson and gift they have given me.

I think all dogs have something to teach us at different stages of their lives if we just take the time to listen to them.

Things JJ have taught me:

It’s better to have a few weeks with your loved ones than a few hours or a few days. It gives you the opportunity to spoil them like they’ve never been spoiled before. More treats, different treats, you don’t have to worry about their weight or whether or not it’s good for them.

Stop worrying so much about the future. Live for today. You can plan for the future later.

Stop being so serious. So what if the house needs vacuuming. Snuggle time, car rides or just walking around the yard will always trump vacuuming.

Be grateful for the small things in life. Smile and laugh as often as possible.

Always tell your loved ones you love them. You never know when you’ll never be able to tell them again. Well, this one I always knew. It just seems more important right now.

Patience, forgiveness, NEVER give up on your goals, try, try and try again, do not judge another until you sniff their butt!!! LOL!

and for my Border Collie babies over the years... LOOK SOMEONE DIRECTLY IN THE EYES...if you want to really know them......

and last but not least unconditional love and loyalty !

ALL 13 dogs of my adult life have taught me well and continue to do so. Can't even begin to imagine my life without them ~~sigh~~

CMP..... Aaaaaaaw....my eyes are fogging up just from reading your post! Get well Precious Molly! ((hugs))

Work with what you've got, keep trying, forgive easily.

J.

What J said.

And, ...................I think the best thing they all have taught me is that life is in the moments - each moment - and it is rarely as serious as one tends to think it is. They always remind me that, no matter what time it is or what needs to be done or what has just happened or what I fear might happen or whatever.......there is always time enough to pet the dogs.......and it is more important to do that than almost anything else.

I have a personal policy that under no circumstance do I ignore a dog's (or cat's) request for attention. Even if all I have time for, rushing out the door, is a quick stroke and a loving word, it is not only worth my while to do that, it improves my day. I am very grateful for their presence in my life.