BC Boards
CptJack

(My) Molly grows up.

I'm just posting this here since I know there are some people following, but:

I need to register Molly relatively soon (with NADAC, for agility). Do I register her all american or BC? Does it actually matter? Opinions, thoughts, buller?

Molly turned one last weekend, but thanks to computer problems I didn't post here. So, have some belated pictures.

5_zpsx846b2xf.jpg

9_zps7gunujng.jpg

15_zps1oflsye7.jpg

She's turned into a pretty incredible girl.

In other news, Kylie missed a Q at an agility trial today - by .04th of a second. I couldn't stop laughing.

Thanks you guys. I don't actually love those pictures of her (well the close up) because it doesn't look quite like HER, but I love my girl. She's a sweetheart and the best dog in the world. Says, um, me. Which should surprise no one ;-)

I was mostly referring to the ones of her with the frisbee anyhow. Loooong dog.

OH yes. And I LOVE those, because they're just so her. Lots and lots of legs and body and she is GOOD at using it. I *love* her build.

We are back in classes after 4 weeks off.

We had minimal issues with reactivity - the only issues at all were when another dog lost its crap at her and she kind of lost it in return, and when we walked out of the building there was a knot of people and dogs outside chatting with each other that were a little much for her.

Otherwise, we've gone from a dog who had to be behind barriers to function in class, to a dog who ran a short sequence off leash (just a tunnel, lowered a-frame and hoop) and was happy and relaxed the whole class. AFTER break. And a dog who was wary of people and growled the first time she saw the instructor to needing to work on polite greetings now because she wants to climb her.

I mean. Her 2o2o behavior was 'creative' sometimes (or just plain absent) and we need to work on that, and she can't jump to save my life, and she tends to bound up when running with me and sometimes want to grab my arms with her mouth, but guys? This is all, IMO, normal teenaged puppy and baby-agility dog stuff. THIS? I can work with.

I am so happy and proud I could actually cry.

T5%20-%201_zpsh46qxv9g.jpg

Last one for a while, I promise to fade in the ether after- but I LOVE this picture. Something about the very different ways they're moving here just delights me.

Very happy to hear about her (and your!) progress with the reactivity. I dunno, in the picture it looks like they've just stolen someone's high-vis jacket and are making a break for it. It's the 'happy yet frantic' look about them- "GO GO GO GO quick before they catch us!"

Drove through a place called Sheepdog's Hut today. Thought of Molly for some reason.

Well, you nailed the 'stolen' part :P It was a cleaning rag my husband had been using to play tug with the Boston. Who was a good few feet behind being righteously annoyed at both of them because EXCUSE HER, SHE WAS USING THAT.

Molly's turned into a pretty spectacular dog, all around. A NUT, but you know, we're getting there and I'm pleased as punch with her.

...Sheepdog's Hut sounds like something I should put on a sign on my desk. Maybe something rustic and painted, since she lives under it during the day. (And thank for you thinking of her.)

5EGi81rkfxBWP8jHlxRFr3.jpg

Kylie's sleeping. Molly's watching television. They remind me of an old, SWEET, married couple.

Or my husband and I most evenings. Same thing, really.

I swear by all that is holy, I would have an easier time convincing a brick wall to get up and walk than convincing Molly to listen to me after she has decided that she knows what she's supposed to do.

I swear by all that is holy, I would have an easier time convincing a brick wall to get up and walk than convincing Molly to listen to me after she has decided that she knows what she's supposed to do.

I know the feeling .. But I,ve also realised with my on dogs that sometimes (often) they may be right ..at .least from their point of view..and I'm just being inconsistent or haven't ,explained' myself clearly enough. When they do get it, they give me a sideways look that seems to say 'ooohh, so that's what you mean, why didn't you just say so before?'

I know the feeling .. But I,ve also realised with my on dogs that sometimes (often) they may be right ..at .least from their point of view..and I'm just being inconsistent or haven't ,explained' myself clearly enough. When they do get it, they give me a sideways look that seems to say 'ooohh, so that's what you mean, why didn't you just say so before?'

I have absolutely no doubt that it was the result of me not being clear and her not understanding what I was going for. I just... had this period where she so clearly got fed up with me, and just kept very pointedly, forcefully, and with literal huffing air out her nose doing what she thought I was asking for.

I had to walk away because otherwise I was going to laugh until I fell over.

Poor dog.

To continue my 'Molly grows up' blog portion of this:

Molly did her first sequence tonight. Off leash. Successfully. Stayed with me, did what she needed to do, and got her contact.

Given that the last goal I had for her was just to be able to do the off leash recall exercises.... Yeah. I'm happy. Looong way to go on the actual agility front, but. Holy crap.

(Next step: Attend some practices and trials (as a spectator) in the fall, so she can get used to those spaces and know to expect dogs in them. Because she's come a long, long way but she still gets pretty thrown and loud when Suddenly, There Are Dogs and Crowds.

At least I'm more confident in her ability to learn to cope, now?

It's such a great feeling, isn't it?

My last dog Sara was slightly reactive to other dogs and a lot reactive to strange sudden things and sounds, and it was such a pleasure to see a confident trustfull happy dog that could ignore previous stressors emerge... :) It was a lot of work, but satisfying work though. I learned a lot with her.

I am so, so proud of how far she has come with this stuff. My next (intermediate) goal is actually getting her comfortable and focused enough in class to work for her ball. I know, I could worry more about actual agility skills, but she works a lot harder and has a lot more fun when she's working for the ball. Mostly it's, for me, a good barometer of where her brain is.

We'll see how it goes with what's left of this session.

I successfully called her off a doe and two fawns that surprised us in our agility field this morning. I only noticed them when she stopped, crouched, crept and then started to run. I said leave it and by GOD she left it and came back to stand beside me and watch.

WHO IS THIS DOG?

For comparison, this is her with a regular/9" frisbee

K10_zpsaahjnqgn.jpg

I owe the person who found small ones for me my eternal gratitude, at LEAST

You know, I'm looking at Molly in agility class and realizing every actual agility related issue we have had, is down to collection. As in, she really has very little. We're having to teach it to her individually with every obstacle and situation and she's getting it, but it's interesting for me. Because let me tell you, the 11" dog does not need to COLLECT for much of anything except weaves.

Molly had a private agility lesson today, outside, in a new place, with people doing construction type work on the other side of the field. We did have to move away so she would work, but she DID work. As in she mostly stayed with me, did the jumps and tunnels and sends, and was actually pretty danged good. Better obstacle focus than she's had at class, where she just looks at my arm instead of where we're going. She also PLAYED ball and worked for it, which was really great to see.

I mean, unfocused, hyperactive, kind of spazzy and not as relaxed as I would have liked, but all things considered I'll pretty well take it.

Also self: Molly is not Kylie. Molly is not Kylie. Molly is not Kylie. MOLLY IS NOT KYLIE.

(Kylie also had a lesson. Kylie did great with discrimination, she has finally figured out off side weaving really well, and was just great. *I* meanwhile kept getting lost. Apparently having a bunch of 'dead' jumps in the midst of the ones i need to take is enough to make my head explode. Sometimes agility really makes me question my intelligence.)

2%20-%201_zpsfggobqfz.jpg

3%20-%201_zpssiedwnsm.jpg

4%20-%201_zpsmz6c3x2o.jpg

I told her to wait. She waited - then she caught it.

7%20-%201_zpsq0rei2nk.jpgSun fading is turning her tri-ish looking.