BC Boards
CptJack

(My) Molly grows up.

Yeah, it's me again. It's been a while since I did a regular old playing at home photo-dump, so you're getting it today.

11_zps518bef3c.jpg

Her ears still don't know what they're doing.

7_zps785c8f8d.jpg

Well, okay, that one ear still doesn't know.

8_zpse9525438.jpg

Love this one.

9_zps183518ad.jpg

Look - tail feathers (and the funniest expression ever)

12_zpsd372def7.jpg

Just love this one.

14_zps76b4b232.jpg

Legs forever.

1_zpsa09a8f5c.jpg

She looks like a pinhead lying down because of those legs (and thighs!)

2_zps733d5cce.jpg

More

3_zpsa7c1e00d.jpg

6_zpsc85e9675.jpg

and one more:

4_zps61a4960b.jpg

When you've gotta go, you've just gotta go. (In fairness she dropped the ball to pee once - and then it rolled under her. That ended the game and she learned to hold onto it).

LOVE this dog.

And done now

Oh and re: Ears being utterly inconsistent. These pictures are also from today:

2_zpsd40aeb8e.jpg

1_zpsa3c31a1b.jpg

Is 'whatever I feel like' an ear set?

Yes, "whatever I feel like" is an ear set. Both of mine have it, but they go from airplane to erect.

Her ears MOSTLY seem to stay up and sort of tipped - with the right one being a little more inclined to sometimes airplane. Lately, though, they seriously go from BADLY erect (as in these pictures) to all the way flopped down. I am so over caring, except the part where I find it kind of fun.

Hybrid ears are fun, aren't they!!

They really, really are.

Okay. 8 months, agility starts next Tuesday, so I'm doing another massive picture dump.

3_zps2e165122.jpg

Ears are a little more stable this week. That seems to be her default, anyway.

4_zps15e49ec8.jpg

She is so great at looking at the camera for me. Or, really, looking intently at me.

8_zps81290139.jpg

She spends a ton of time with her butt in the air.

11_zps09d111fb.jpg

Legs much?

14_zps43d486d8.jpg

20_zps322765b2.jpg

again: Legs much?

And one more that are just all play shots:

5_zpsb286af18.jpg

6_zpseff1bb8b.jpg

10_zpsc1c89947.jpg

12_zps4d75b683.jpg

Noticing she overshot.

13_zps147167e6.jpg

Still caught it.

15_zps7ecc15c2.jpg

16_zps3fc8628e.jpg

Same throw as above. She can BOOK IT in a crouch.

18_zps208ba354.jpg

The things we (she) finds in our undergrowth.

19_zps8cd58896.jpg

Called her off with an old basketball.

25_zps628257f4.jpg

She LOVED that thing. Killed it, but killed it with love and fun.

One more set.

4Lq4942NCxdAB7V1p8vrbJ.jpg

LOOK!

Every time Molly got close to Kylie up until the last month it looked like this:

DSC_0101_zps5db79df4.jpg

Molly's expression hasn't changed at all but Kylie is no longer overcome with disgust and exasperation.

Ha! Poor Kylie! I'll bet she didn't let Molly do any stupid puppy things though. Keeper was met with similar expressions when he arrived. I LOVE Molly's little squiggle of hair going down her back. And she really looks all BC now too! I'm sure you still get the lab-mix comments because, ya know, black with smooth hair. But now that she's lost the puppy pudge she really looks nothing but a big border collie lady. :wub: (Even if there's heeler in there somewhere)

Kylie let her get away with nothing - but in Kylie's defense, Kylie was Molly's favorite target for eyeing/stalking/chasing/biting/general sheep stand in. Me getting that under control helped things - once Kylie chose to believe it was under control.

I'm a pretty big fan of that squiggle too. It showed up super intensely zig-zaggy when her adult coat started coming in. As her fur grows out it disappears (her fur is much longer/thicker (or just less slick) than it looks, I need to get a picture with a hand in it or something to demonstrate), but I think the one around the base of her tail is going to stick and I find it ADORABLE.

We'll never know for sure if her dad was a heavily ticked BC or actually an ACD mix, but I could honestly not care less. Behavior and appearance wise she's both all border collie and all absolutely freaking awesome. I put off getting a BC for YEARS because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to handle it, but man. She is just The. Best. Dog.

It's me again. I'm still camera happy with this puppy.

"Puppy".

6_zps61a1a9e2.jpg

7_zps4fff4934.jpg

8_zps0aaea017.jpg

10_zpsfe709869.jpg

12_zpsb4245d1d.jpg

13_zps806953a1.jpg

20_zps71005ce7.jpg

For those at home: yes, there is almost always a ball in pictures of play, but we also tug and train and do other things and balls go away after play time. I just LIKE the pictures I get of her playing ball.

Thanks. I think that's one of my all time favorite pictures of her.

She's turning into a pretty cool dog. On and off again weirdness with leash reactivity but overall I could not have asked for better.

1_zps74781e39.jpg

2_zps8c242406.jpg

3_zpsf465db94.jpg

4_zps61053733.jpg

5_zps2f810186.jpg

Reactivity or not, I'm crazy about my puppy - and cope by taking pictures. I swear she'll hit a year old and I'll be reasonable, maybe.

A few not!BC pics, from a project I'm doing this year:

1_zps2c6ab915.jpg

14_zps11015eeb.jpg

15_zps3dc28d10.jpg

At least spamming this thread saves me spamming the board?

Back to Molly:

Bodytype_zpsc865d049.jpg

You wanna talk about a tuck....

tail_zpsed48a5de.jpg

Only spot of roaning on her - underside of her tail.

10_zpsa706d023.jpg

8_zpsb546816c.jpg

4_zps8503f4be.jpg

She loves that ball. Mostly runs with it, but it's a decent thing to gnaw, too.

Oh and LOL:

2_zps0707c066.jpg

Kylie is charming. What a lovely girl!

What is your project?

I think I will have to get a ball like Molly's for Nattie. I was never a parent who thought my children needed what the neighbor kid had but I am terrible about thinking that my puppy needs everything all the other puppies have.

Kylie is charming. What a lovely girl!

What is your project?

I think I will have to get a ball like Molly's for Nattie. I was never a parent who thought my children needed what the neighbor kid had but I am terrible about thinking that my puppy needs everything all the other puppies have.

I am actually making a point to get out and take photos of a different dog every day. It's keeping me getting the dogs out for one on one time and working a bit with photography and a subject that's fun. We'll see how far I take it.

That ball is awesome. It's a Jolly Ball for horses (the 10") and it's the best. Thing. Ever. Well, according to Molly, anyway.

I like your idea for a project. I bet Molly usually gets to be the subject of most your photos. I know my poor GSD gets neglected in photos because the puppy is so animated. My project for the year is to take photos every day. Since my pets and my youngest child are always around they are in most of the photographs.

Off to order a Jolly Ball for Nattie....

Yep. I'm pretty good about pictures of Kylie, and a little bit Thud when he's WITH Molly, but Molly is otherwise the one who gets the most camera time, so I'm trying to balance it out a little.

...I have no guilt about enabling. She'll LOVE IT>

I don't know where else to put this so I'm just sticking it here.

Tonight was session two of Agility Foundations - AKA: We sit here and counter condition my reactive dog to the presence of other dogs.

Last week wasn't horrible. We did zero work along with the class, sat in the far back corner behind a barrier (see through) and I fed her lots of treats. She was able to do a LITTLE BIT of obedience stuff, took treats, played for a minute or two.

This week she was much better. Loose, relaxed, tail wagging, able to play tug with me with enthusiasm, was able to get out from behind the barrier a couple of times and while we worked on a little bit of (new for her) material along with the class completely forgot the other dogs existed. Definitely started to figure out what I wanted her to do and how I wanted her to handle the situation.

Still had some lunging growling insanity, but mostly (MOSTLY) getting into and out of the building. Much less over all and much HAPPIER. Am realizing that, ironically, her biggest trigger are other BC. Because they STARE.

Instructor was great about making sure the dogs didn't run straight toward us while running recalls and targeting games, and I'm just feeling better about the situation overall. I think we're going to be okay. Or at least okay enough.

That's great to hear! I have no doubt in my mind that you'll be able to overcome this - you're clearly a very competent handler. It's nice for me to hear, as well, as Aed has started up with some leash reactivity in certain places which (I believe) is caused by his resource guarding. But it's essentially the same thing. It's hard. I wish you the best of luck with working with it.

The best thing for me dealing with this was something I read in Control Unleashed:

"Reactivity is an information-seeking strategy. A reactive dog will rush toward something or someone that he is uncertain about, barking, lunging, growling, and making a big display. People sometimes perceive reactive behavior as aggression, but the reactive dog is not rushing in to do damage; he is attempting to assess the threat level of a given situation. His assessment strategy is intensified because he is panicking as the adrenaline flows through his body. If a reactive dog learns to feel confident about something, he is less worried about that thing and therefore reacts less to it." Leslie McDevitt

I feel like I was doing a lot of flailing around with her at first, by trying to make her feel better but not giving her any input about what to DO. I mean what to do here is 'take your attention off the other dogs and pay attention to me' which isn't exactly rocket science, but it's a clear criteria for her and that seems to be helping - her and ME.

I still don't expect quick/instant resolution, but at least there's a plan and criteria for success in play, which means I can be a lot more consistent with rewarding and shaping the behavior I'm looking for.