BC Boards

Tennis Treibball

Tessa apparently wants to invent a new version of this sport!!! :)

She actually doesn't study Treibball (although I am starting to learn a bit with Dean). This was just a fun side effect of a shaping session.

Very cute.

One question: why do you throw the treat rather than giving it to her?

I can't definitely speak for the OP but when I throw a treat rather than hand it over, it's because it makes the dog leave hte ball/box/object/place and 'reset'. Standing right on top of the object I want them to interact with (sometimes literally, with paw targeting) can hinder progress.

Very cute.

One question: why do you throw the treat rather than giving it to her?

To set her up to interact with the ball again. If I handed it to her, she would likely either sit or lie down and stare at me.

It seemed, at about 38, that she was looking back for the treat rather than rolling the ball. Learn fast, don't they?

Our Megan, back when she could hear, had a "nudge" command. It was a natural development from her habit of nudging the ball when I ignored it or didn't pick it up, so we built it into a command. It was a lot of fun with her and the nudging was a huge hit with smaller grandkids playing ball with her as she didn't always drop it close enough to them, but a nudge would bring it to where they could easily pick it up.

It seemed, at about 38, that she was looking back for the treat rather than rolling the ball. Learn fast, don't they?

Our Megan, back when she could hear, had a "nudge" command. It was a natural development from her habit of nudging the ball when I ignored it or didn't pick it up, so we built it into a command. It was a lot of fun with her and the nudging was a huge hit with smaller grandkids playing ball with her as she didn't always drop it close enough to them, but a nudge would bring it to where they could easily pick it up.

I think the chickens were clucking outside the building over that way at that point. You can't hear it on the video, but I remember it happening (and her looking over that way). I'm not 100% positive it was right then, but I'm thinking that might have been what caught her attention.

Our friend's dog does that, too!! If you don't throw the ball, he will nudge it toward you. :)

"Nudge" is a great cue!! I need something to tell her - I want to try to build this to multiple pushes! I might steal that. :)