BC Boards

how to teach dogs to play with toys together.

So some peoples dogs may fight over toys.

My dogs simply wont play together with a toy. When I throw it both dogs start to run, then my one dog Anthony stops and lets Jay fetch the toy.

He stops after a couple steps, once hes sees Jay running as well. I feel like I taught them to take turns too well. I feel like that is part of the problem.

How do I teach my dogs to race for 1 toy and race back?

Border collies are smart dogs, I know they can learn this pretty easily. I'm kind of struggling for ideas as a trainer though. Any advice, help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Generally speaking, dogs have their own rules and hierarchy in regards to play. If you watch any pack of dogs playing, there's almost always one dog who gets the toys while the other dog(s) just sort of play along.

By establishing this order amongst themselves, they are avoiding competition, since if two dogs go after the same toy with equal vigor, how do they sort out who gets it, without risking their play turning into conflict? It's easier and more polite for them to just let one dog be the lead toy-dog while the others follow, since dogs don't really have a natural sense of taking turns.

So, rather than encourage both your dogs to chase the same toy at once, perhaps you could give each a toy and train them to only go after "their" toy. Or you could teach them to take turns chasing the toy by having one dog stay while the other fetches. That way neither dog has to worry about offending or competing with the other. :)

~ Gloria

^^ This! Sometimes dogs are much smarter than people give them credit for. Much of their behavior with each other is about avoiding conflict. -_-

I also don't believe they have the same sense of competitive gamesmanship that humans do.

I love watching my border collie playing a chase game with his best buddy, also a border collie. It took me a while to realize it, but there are definite rules to the game, but they have nothing to do with who's the fastest or who can outrun the other. They'll run full out for a while, but the distance between the dogs remains the same. Then they'll turn on the proverbial dime and switch places, with the chaser now becoming the chased. Still the distance between them remains the same. It's not about winning for them. B)

Humans would do well to take some lessons from dogs . . .

Have you tried letting them each have a toy?

My Speedy and Dean played well that way. Speedy would keep his ball in his mouth and run out with Dean when he ran for his toy and then ran back with him.

Bandit also likes to have a toy of his own. If they just have one, he will steal Dean's from him, so they each get one. He will either run with Dean like Speedy did, with his own toy in his mouth, or he will let me throw his, and they both go out for their own.

We dog-sat a Border Collie recently and he doesn't do the two-toy thing. He just ran with Dean, toyless, and ran back with him. Occasionally he would get to it first and bring it back. He seemed happy with that arrangement.

I would try different things and see what works for them.

Generally speaking, dogs have their own rules and hierarchy in regards to play. If you watch any pack of dogs playing, there's almost always one dog who gets the toys while the other dog(s) just sort of play along.

By establishing this order amongst themselves, they are avoiding competition, since if two dogs go after the same toy with equal vigor, how do they sort out who gets it, without risking their play turning into conflict? It's easier and more polite for them to just let one dog be the lead toy-dog while the others follow, since dogs don't really have a natural sense of taking turns.

So, rather than encourage both your dogs to chase the same toy at once, perhaps you could give each a toy and train them to only go after "their" toy. Or you could teach them to take turns chasing the toy by having one dog stay while the other fetches. That way neither dog has to worry about offending or competing with the other. :)

~ Gloria

1. My dogs are very well at taking turns, while playing, eating and training. I need to teach them when it is ok to both be active doing the same activity. I have seen many dogs running after the same toy, racing and chasing each other.

2.I already taught my dogs to chase different toys, I have also taught my dogs to take turns chasing the same toy.

3. I understand what you are saying about competition, neither of my dogs have ever showed any toy aggression and both dogs get reward equally. It doesn't matter if they are the dog to bring the toy back or the that ran out and came back with nothing. As long as the are running for the same toy together.

^^ This! Sometimes dogs are much smarter than people give them credit for. Much of their behavior with each other is about avoiding conflict. -_-

I also don't believe they have the same sense of competitive gamesmanship that humans do.

I love watching my border collie playing a chase game with his best buddy, also a border collie. It took me a while to realize it, but there are definite rules to the game, but they have nothing to do with who's the fastest or who can outrun the other. They'll run full out for a while, but the distance between the dogs remains the same. Then they'll turn on the proverbial dime and switch places, with the chaser now becoming the chased. Still the distance between them remains the same. It's not about winning for them. B)

Humans would do well to take some lessons from dogs . . .

I totally agree with your post. I believe a strong leader doesn't tolerate consistent conflict. My dogs know not to fight with each other. Every now and then the dogs get into a small barking match over a treat on the ground. For the most part tho, the understand to avoid conflict and give each other their space while eating.

People do not give dogs enough credit for avoiding conflicts. Part of being a social animal that lives in a group, is knowing how to avoid conflict to survive.

Have you tried letting them each have a toy?

My Speedy and Dean played well that way. Speedy would keep his ball in his mouth and run out with Dean when he ran for his toy and then ran back with him.

Bandit also likes to have a toy of his own. If they just have one, he will steal Dean's from him, so they each get one. He will either run with Dean like Speedy did, with his own toy in his mouth, or he will let me throw his, and they both go out for their own.

We dog-sat a Border Collie recently and he doesn't do the two-toy thing. He just ran with Dean, toyless, and ran back with him. Occasionally he would get to it first and bring it back. He seemed happy with that arrangement.

I would try different things and see what works for them.

They have multiple toys they share, they know how to take turns and watch. They also know how to fetch different toys at the same time. I would just like to add a new element to play time. I would like to teach them to play together, I feel like it would help them bond. It would also switch things up from time to time.

You said, "I totally agree with your post. I believe a strong leader doesn't tolerate consistent conflict." and then "I would like to teach them to play together, I feel like it would help them bond."

The problem is, by teaching them to go after the same ball you are teaching them conflict. You are encouraging them to fight over the same resources. Instead of helping them bond it will increase tension and could potentially make your dogs not like each other.

There are plenty of other ways to switch things up during play time. If you want them to interact with each other I would remove toys from the picture altogether and let them interact on their own terms.