BC Boards
chene

Itty Bitty Border Collies

LOL I hear ya! I always have a huge list of possible names, but I have to meet a dog before choosing the right one. Sometimes it's not even on the original list. ;)

I had a list of names when I adopted my last pup. It was an unexpected adoption (I was looking, but hadn't thought I'd find her the day I did), so I wasn't even thinking about names that day. When the foster mom asked me if I know what I'd name her, Tansy just popped out of my mouth. It was on the list, but I hadn't really thought about it for quite some time.

But it suits her. She's a wild child. :rolleyes:

That's really cool. I think I'll probably wait until the pup's home for a few days before I decide. I'd really like to get to know him well first. I just counted, and there were 33 names on my list! But after eliminating the girl names, the ones I was unsure of, and the cute ones (this pup strikes me as more serious) then I'm left with these.

Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Chene (Pronounced like "shen" with a French accent - It means oak)

Milne (After A.A. Milne)

Nalle (NALL-ee)

Foulden (FOAL-den)

Klaus/Claus (Clow-se)

Dasha

Kalford

Larkin

Fintan

I like unusual names I suppose. Any opinions?

Oh oh oh! Congratulations! I remember when I picked out this puppy. It was the best day, EVER :)

I do not much care for the name "Molly" but my mother, who came with me to be the driver on the home trip, said, "Your father was going to name his next female Molly". (My father was a stockman who never went anywhere or did anything without a couple of his Collies - he passed recently.)

So, Molly it is.

I call her "boo" most of the time, anyway. I think she thinks "Molly" is just the word used to preface commands. Must be confusing, but she works it out.

Anyway - keep us posted - let us know when you laugh and cry and pull your hair out ... surely you will do all three, it's a BC puppy rite of passage :) Again, congrats!

He even looks like a serious minded pup in the pictures, Nice train, imo.

Knowing now that Chene isn't your name, and knowing what it means, I like it a lot. And it's already your screen name, so it'd be perfect in so many ways!

But they're all good. Can't wait to hear what you end up choosing.

I like "Fintan" best because it can be shortened to Fin and the best Border Collie I ever knew was named Fin. Appropos of nothing, of course :/

Gentlelake: Yeah, Chene has been one of my favourites from the start (hence the username). My boyfriend isn't sure about it, though, so we'll see. CMP I will make sure to do all of those things! And for what it's worth I've never known a Molly-dog that I didn't like. And yeah, I like Fin as a name too, I just know a ton of dogs named that. So it as a nickname would be a perfect in-between.

I'm also maybe leaning towards Claus. It seems to suit him, and it reminds me of the boy from A Series of Unfortunate Events (not sure if anyone on this board would have read those though).

Love Lemony Snicket!!

Whatever you end up with as a name will be perfect! And if not, you'll change it. ;)

I did that with Bodhi. When I first adopted him, I was trying to call him Quinn. Perfectly fine name and it seemed appropriate. But it just wasn't sitting quite right, for either one of us. It didn't feel quite right to me, and he seemed to be having a bit of trouble acclimating to it, too.

Then a couple, three weeks later I went to a retreat where my favorite Buddhist teacher translated "bodhi" (usually translated as "enlightened" or "awakened") as "enlightened or love." I knew in that instant that it was his name. When I came home and called him Bodhi he responded like it had been his name all his life, so he obviously agreed. B)

Not exactly the name I would have been considering for a Scottish breed, but sometimes you just can't ignore what works.

Bodhi is a brilliant name. And you're right, what happens will happen. Maybe what I like won't fit, or what fits now won't in two weeks. I'll be patient. I can be patient.

...Right?

Yes sir (ma'am?). One of our first choices from the beginning. Ahh, I honestly love the older puppies. Anything from 6 months to two years. Where they start becoming adults and working with you but they still forget themselves sometimes and have these wonderful puppy tendencies. Tiny puppies are for cuddling over and over, but older puppies are for the biggest hugs I can give.

I like 3 of your choices. Larkin was my favorite, and Finch and Chene were tied for second. I love the literary names!!

Yippee! Now the waiting begins... My first dog had a name when I brought her home. The other three took a few days to name... I'm just loving every stage with my boy. Even when I first brought him home he was a sponge and loved to learn. I felt like I had the total package - a cute adorable baby who had the focus of an older dog.

Cute, cute, cute!! I like Finch - short and a bit uncommon. Congrats on finally picking "the one". I'm sure the next couple of weeks will probably drag by but what fun awaits you!

A week later and I've suddenly thrown out all of my potential names. Nothing feels right. Damn being a perfectionist. I'll just have to wait until I see the kid in person.

This past and next week I'm putting trim on the dog house and packing all my dresses into socks, grudgingly making it through the last five days of work, going through last minute lists of puppy stuff, making plans for the trip, reading and re-reading Control Unleashed, and meticulously crossing off each day on my calendar. Ahh! Am I ready, you guys? It's been more than five months now waiting for this. What in the heck am I going to do once I get the little guy? I think I've gone into overdrive. It's awful and great.

Soon -- soon. I know you will enjoy your pup when you get him.

Re: the name. I also like to consider what the name will sound like when one screams it across the field. Can it be heard well? Does it sound like another inappropriate word? [My friend has a Welshie who she named Tucker. Hmmmm.] It shouldn't sound like a word that will also be a command (IMHO).

Soon.

Yeah, agreed. That is definitely on my mind as I work at a kennel and I am seriously embarrassed about calling out some of those names. A lot of them were eliminated for that reason. Good point about the command though. I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

Took me a week to name Kolt. He ended up with a name that wasn't on my list. I was stressed about it at the time (doesn't he have a name yet?) but it all worked out fine :)

Took me a week to name Kolt. He ended up with a name that wasn't on my list. I was stressed about it at the time (doesn't he have a name yet?) but it all worked out fine :)

I'd posted my experience naming Bodhi earlier in this thread.. It took a couple weeks to find his name and it definitely wasn't a name on my list. ;)

You'll figure it out when you get to know him. And you may discover it's a name on your list after all . . . or not. But it'll be the right one when it comes to you.

It took me two weeks to name one of my pups. I just called him "Little Boy" until I decided on a name.

My five month old BC will respond to Natasha, Natty, Nat, Girly-Girl (she is our only female pet). She doesn't seem confused by multiple names. My GSD will also respond to a number of different names including "Here kitty, kitty".

Well, guys, this is it...I'm leaving to pick up the puppy in 20 minutes and I'm suddenly terrified that I know nothing about raising a dog. This will be my first border collie and my first puppy on my own (also my first in ten years). This is crazy! Here we go. I'll post pictures sometime next week. Keep your fingers and paws crossed for me!