BC Boards

Herding Trainer Central Iowa

Hope/P.

Bob Johnson and Niyole Livingston are down in Tingly, they have practice night every Tuesday. There are a few handlers up in the Des Moines area that head down there now and then. We will be hosting a Scott Glen Clinic at his place in October along with a field trial that Scott will be judging, Oct. 17th-20th

oh, probably best to get to know those of us working, training, breeding and using dogs in the state. See which people fit in with your goals and aspirations and then network with them.

If you can get time off on August 13th (Wednesday) come on out to the Iowa State Fair, many of the Iowa handlers will be there, cattle in the morning, sheep in the after noon. Some focus on cattle, some focus more on sheep, some do both. The trial is held in the covered arena by the cattle barn.

Many of the open cattledog handlers have competed and even won the USBCHA National Cattledog Finals. And, some have competed at the Sheepdog Finals, so while the trial is a arena trial some of the handlers/dogs also compete out in open field trials.

Be fore warned, there are some in the group who are far more serious about their dogs then some are comfortable with, if the dog isn't made up of the right stuff they will come out and say so, not to be mean but instead to try to help people move on so they can have a quality dog to invest the time in effort into.

I know it puts some people off. When we first started trialing it was with Australian Cattledogs and crossbreds, one of the handlers came straight out and told us that if want to have fun and do well to get rid of them and get a good border collie. We had not so great border collies when we got started, and heard the same advise. It's hard to hear, but part of learning and the journey.

Each of us has a different goal, if it's to have the best dogs you can have then you may elect to work with a different group of people then if your goal is to do the best with what you have and be happy with what ever your dog can do.

I take lessons with James in Williams fairly reguarly now as I can't afford to drive to my dog's breeder for lessons reguarly (she lives south of Iowa City). James is really good at teaching the basics and is really patient while he beats the basic concepts into your head. He might be a great place to start. It'd be great to see more Border Collie people at his lessons. :)

Bethany, Rose, and Loki

Hi Hope, I was recently sent the list of exhibitors along with their location for the Iowa State Fair, Donna Tuttle lives in Des Moines, she moved down this way recently from Minnesota and gets together with a few others to work dogs. If you get to the fair look her up, all handlers should have name tags on with the city and state that they are originating from to help make it easier to track them down once out of the arena. She will be running in the afternoon in the sheep division.

:) Thanks for the mention Deb!

Hope, I did send you a PM as well about working with you and your dog.

Definitely look for me if you are able to make it to the Iowa State Fair. I'd be more than happy to talk with you more about working with you and your dog and you would also have a chance to meet the individual that owns the farm & sheep where I work my dogs. She just started her young dog this year and can vouch for how much fun (and frustration! lol) it is to work dogs.

The Iowa stockdog people are really a great group and are wonderful at welcoming new people into the fold!

Look forward to meeting ya!

Donna