BC Boards

Body language - How to Become a Pillar of Serenity

Maja

Dear Handlers,

When I watch top handlers work, the thing that is very striking is their complete calmness. No movement is superfluous, and the movements that do happen are deliberate and calm. I know that this comes with experience, and at trials I see that people who actually raise livestock develop in that respect faster that those who do not.

I have improved with my body language a great deal since the days of my frantic stick-bug style attempts at livestock work, which is course not the only error one may make. I recently saw a handler whose movements were neither frantic nor excessive, but she was very stiff and tense and the dog very obviously, in my opinion, was reacting to it very much.

I would like now to improve this aspect of my handling, next to my finally firm resolve to put Bonnie on the whistle, or else.

So I would be very grateful if those who have used some techniques both during training and at trials would share them.

Dear Mrs. Donald,

Thank you for the good tip.

The handler I observed exhibited tension already going to the post, and I think this affected the out-bye of this otherwise fine dog for whom an outrun would be the last thing to cause troubles. So this made me think that I should be careful to make sure I project calm from the very beginning to the very end. I don't get very nervous during trials, but I would like to keep it that way and more consciously project calm during training with my other dog.

Maja

For me, it came from having my first dogs be rather sensitive. I had to remain calm/serene or risk disaster. I think it helped that I used to show horses--tension in the show ring is a sure-fire way to ruin a class.

Honestly, though, I think it's just like we say for the dogs: mileage.

J.

Julie,

Mileage - I expected that it would be mostly the case.

And I too learned to relax (at gun point - with Bonnie pointing the gun :lol: ). Except I "merely" changed my entire attitude. I identified was was making me nervous, decided it was stupid and threw it out. I had never thought that such a radical change was possible at my age. But - in reference to the previous discussion on lying - I had no way to fake calmness, Bonnie always got wise to my real mood. But as she matured I gradually built her up too, so that I she also learned to deal with stressful situations, since there may be many reasons the handler gets upset, nervous.

Now I have an additional dog, who is young and a bit different - I find that she needs a calmer behavior, and I also found that after a two year hiatus in trialling, my sheep handling leaves a lot to be desired. So I am looking into ways on how to improve all this.

I can empathize on the handling skills becoming rusty. I haven't trialed in a few years because of financial issues, but in early spring I was setting sheep at a trial where I friend withdrew her dog and asked if I wanted to throw mine in and run him. Oh my goodness, my skills left a lot to be desired. I felt sorry for my dog because all of the mistakes we made on the field were mine. It was a noncompete run, so not a big deal, but I did realize then that if I want to trial him at all this fall, I definitely need to work not only on some of his specific skills (shedding, because he's been doing set out for the years we haven't trialed, and set out is the "anti-shed"), but also on my handling, which is way rustier than any of my dog's skills, lol!

J.

Yes, anybody who thinks money can't buy you happiness has no idea about training and trialling.

Sometimes part of me seems to (mis)guide the dog,while the other part of me watches my own blunders like this: :o:wacko::ph34r::o:blink::ph34r::blink::o :o

Dear Fellow Sheepdoggers,

Handling skills also deteriorate when you're running a problem dog. You're too busy trying to correct for the dog's weaknesses to read the sheep. Jock Richardson once told me his Sweep "Just gave me confidence when I went to the post." That confidence is required to do at all well.

The dog/human skill level necessary to run creditably at a big trial is comparable to any major sport. One does have the advantage/disadvantage of competing directly with the best in the world. You too can compete in the World Cup!!!

Donald McCaig

Bonnie gives me confidence that she will try her "bestest", so even if she bungles something it does not upset me. I wonder how I will feel about trialling with Darinka, but she too wants to do the best she can. But we have to get there first, don't we :) and with them being so different in many ways, I am getting some experience too.

Why was I born in Warsaw instead on a farm in Wales?

I know, there are even a couple of linguists on these boards.

I am not complaining; Warsaw has had many advantages, and I have had a good life, but having started to trial after I turned forty makes the "mileage" thingy a but problematic :) . Hence, I am searching for some ways to improve on things.

Nice conversation either way.

Maybe I will get a video up.

FWIW, I was nearly 40 when I went for my first stockdog lesson. Granted, I was raised around livestock so I had an advantage there, but I certainly wasn't a spring chick. I think many people come to sheepdog trialing a little later in life. The advantage we have here in the US is that you can get a lot of trial mileage in a short amount of time, if you have the money and time to do it.

J.

Dear Fellow Sheepdoggers,

We had a small (100 ewe) commercial/purebred flock for 5 years before my first sheepdog, Pip, was born, same year I turned 40.

Although we geezers are happy to see younger folks come in, trialing has been a sport that interests people in lateish middle age. The dog does most of the physical stuff but the handler has to be - a wee bit - wise.

I won't go on about what these wonderful dogs have taught me but 34 years after Pip entered my life I'm a better, happier man for knowing Pip. And there's a TRIAL this weekend in beautiful country with beautiful dogs and the good friends I've made because of their dogs and mine.

Donald McCaig