BC Boards

Hair very thin on body by front legs?? What to do?

Mya's hair has always seemed to be thinner there but not it is almost like she is bald there. The skin is not irritated and she does not have any sores or anything there. She has been shedding a lot and that is where her harness goes but it is a very soft plush harness and it is not extremely tight. What can I do about this or is there anything to do about it?

Hopefully if you click on the picture below you can see the spot I am talking about behind her front leg. She has this same spot on both sides.

Thanks for the advice.

post-16107-0-21575400-1405110704_thumb.jpg

Thanks Julie and Gentle Lake. I didn't know if I needed to do something like Vitamin E or whatever. She is still young at 9-1/2 months and she is shedding a great deal yet too. I thought she might have been done with that for a day or two but got up this morning to everything being covered in hair again :)

We have a seven month old border collie and her coat is coming in long on top with feathers forming on her tail, but her belly coat is pretty sparse especially under her front elbos. I think it can take up to two years for their coat to mature. You could supplement her food with fish oil which is good for skin and coat if you prefer and bath her in a quality dog shampoo with oatmeal. The vet recommends it for their skin. Hope that helps.

Just noticed this same thing today on 2 chihuahuas I'm sitting this weekend. ;)

Were they young too? I used the double rake and combed Mya out several times this weekend and got at least a handful every time I did it or more. You would think she would be bald by now but she seems to keep finding hair to shed.

Well must just be a thing then with short coated dogs. I will see as Mya gets older. She is going to the vet tomorrow for nail trimming so I will have him check it while I am there but I am sure there is nothing to worry about. Guess since we had a yorkie and american eskimo before we just never noticed it.