BC Boards

Border Collie pups are... easy?

At the risk of jinxing everything, I'll start this thread. I've thought about getting a BC pup for several years now. And have mentally gone through the work a pup would take. But a couple weeks ago I was telling someone, "you know, Kolt has been a really easy pup so far". I mean, he's active, he's mischievous, he's got puppy quirks (and teeth!). But he's attentive, wants to learn, is go-with-the-flow, and just generally a delight. I mean, he does get great puppy exercise and puppy training sessions/lifestyle learning so I know that factors into it. But so far he's still been much easier to raise than I expected.

Other than how fast Micah was to grab things off the ground, and plucking Gideon's fur out, both of mine were easy to raise and train. Gideon just about trained himself and Micah is/was a bit of work, but nothing like a horror story. But then, I have always had working dogs, so I don't expect a couch potato(she says with a dog sleeping on the couch beside her on either side).

I think once you're on the path, the journey that is border collie, puppies are easier. I mean, you knew, pretty much, what you were in for and were prepared and excited about it. that's half the battle. i'm very happy for you and just a wee bit jealous!

Its also a bit dependent on the dog in question and the human in question.

I have had very easy puppies and some that seemed to be more needy and into things.

Also, my personal definition of "easy" and a JQP definition of "easy" probably are not the same.

My first 3 dogs also came with issues of varying levels. So the fact that he just needs training and not retraining (at this stage) may be playing into this as well. I've been able to do more with him training and socialization wise in the first month than I was able to do with Missy in the first year and Kipp in the first 6 months.

Glad to hear Kolt is doing so well! Quinn was by far the worst puppy I have ever had until he turned 6 months and then he became by far the best puppy I have ever had. I think at that age, he decided I was important to him and life with my young coywolf changed from hectic to wonderful. :wub:

I think the real point is that it is not a breed thing. It is an individual dog thing. As a matter of fact, due to their drives and smarts....I have found a love in herding breeds period. And a few other working dog breeds. If I have those two things....it is only a matter of guidance and direction.

Same with Bandit. I was ready to be run utterly ragged, having my house torn to shreds, being awake for hours in the night, and I don't even know what else.

It has been much, much, much easier than I thought it would be. At least so far.

At the risk of jinxing future behavior (like Maralynn), I also think that Kiefer has been easier than Torque was as a puppy (~7 years ago). Part of it may be that I am better prepared (i.e. more knowledgeable about time outs, distraction techniques, and training in general) than I was 7 years ago, and part of it may be the difference between working-bred and sport-bred. I think Torque was a great puppy, but he was A LOT of work because he had a lot of energy and was very pushy.

After having 3 cattle dogs in the house for a week, one adult, 1 year, and 8 months in age I can first off say We all survived. The pup we babysat is a heeler/shep mix. He is much slower to learn and all, hes more apt to get in to trouble. And I hate to say not quite as smart as the other two. I think all and all Gidget is learning rapidly and not too much trouble. The one thing I will say is What is hers is hers, what is someone elses is hers, she is bossy and a bit pushy more then the other two. She is a very bound and determined girl. That is the only thing I can really say is harder, just have to keep an eye on things and stay on top of every situation, then all goes pretty smoothly.

Till 5 mo, I wouldn't say Tess was easy. She was very active and, oh my, soooo mouthy! She was different from any pup I ever had, more.... "there", more interested in everything and anything. Then we got to know and understand each other better, and she calmed down and became easy. I find her very easy now, at 11 mo. Provided we do interesting stuff dayly, of course.

I have two border collie boys (littermates) who have just turned two, and now have a 23 week old chocolate merle boy puppy. Our new boy was a surprise, as he was advertised to giveaway on an online website, in our rural city. I classify him as a pre-emptive rescue!

Yes, they were/are energetic, and inquisitive, and eager to learn and to please and occasionally are destructive. I did not really know what I was getting into, but would not trade the experience with Oscar, George and Bailey for anything! And, yes, they were far easier than I thought!

It's interesting, but I've actually found border collie puppies to be less of a problem with chewing than other dogs I've had.

Maybe it's because I started out with a very destructive Lab/pointer mix, but I don't even think it's the comparison. Most of my BC pups tried chewing once, maybe twice, and once they were scolded for it never tried it again.

After now having had 2 border collie mixes (one with a spitz-type breed, possibly American Eskimo, and the other a lurcher), I've vowed to never have a mix again. <_< The border collies have been so much easier to raise and to live with.

My entire day is planned so I can be outside from 5:30-7:30. I sit in the shade under the misters while my pup plays. She races around with her toys, jumps into the play pool, and gets the GSD to chase and wrestle with her. After two hours of play I dry her off and put her to bed (reminds me of when my children were toddlers).

Dean doesn't play with Bandit for hours, but he is usually willing to entertain him for a while just before bed when his energy level (Bandit's, not Dean's) suddenly skyrockets!!!

I have finally noted some help in the "wear out the puppy energy" department from Torque. He is beginning to warm up to Kiefer. But Torque likes to play rough. That is just his personality. Yesterday I walked to the pond and the two of them were doing the "bump and run" [or "run and bump" - not sure which action is first] along the edge of the pond. I was watching them run along the steep bank, when 'splash', Kiefer had been bumped into the pond. Not sure if this was a random bump or intentional. ^_^ No worries though, Kiefer pulled himself up the bank and went back to running after big brother.

I've been surprised over and over again at how easy my BC pup has been. She's 4 1/2 months now and has been nothing but fun. She's probably saving all her naughtiness for her teenage months. :) Seriously though, for a person that enjoys training and other dog friendly activities, she has been easy peasy. This is my first high drive dog and I had mentally prepared myself for a whirlwind. I do see her being a problem pup for someone disinterested in training and/ or unable to set clear boundaries, but I don't feel like any of her puppyness has been "work" so far.