BC Boards

Who are your dogs?

I am very new and far more likely to lurk than post (my only border-collie-ish dog is very, very young), but I can never pass up an opportunity to share pictures and talk about my dogs - or to read about other people's.

So.

Jack: The Rat Terrier.

13334433525_9e08485252_c.jpg

Jack's 7, will be 8 at the end of December. He's a sweet, serious dog who is heck on all manner of rodents. He is an all around good, steady, tolerant, *stoic* dog who will put up with anything from anybody. He's a very dignified dog, and I don't think he's could be truly goofy if his life depended on it. He's a little stubborn, but mostly he's naturally well behaved and game for doing anything you want him to, from barn clearing, to multi-mile hikes, to cuddling up on the couch for days.

Bug, The Boston:

13334435745_df22159156_o.jpg

Also 7 - will be 8 in March. She's deaf. She's absolutely Jack's opposite in that she's absolutely not serious, ever. She bubbles over with enthusiasm and love for everything and everyone. She is 15lbs of laughter, goofiness, a love of life and the desire to play whatever game you're up for. Right now she's doing a (very little) bit of agility with me just because it's a game I like and she wants to play along.

Kylie.

K2_zpse7ed5dfd.jpg

She turned 2 in May. I don't know what her breed mix is - we found her inside a commercial trash dumpster when she was four weeks old. I don't know where she came from. What I DO know is that she is one of those once in a lifetime dogs who reads your mind, and is absolutely the right fit at the right time. She's got some issues with being shy, but she's always willing to try anything with and for me. She lives to learn; learning is her favorite game. She's my 'serious' agility dog. And by that I mean she takes agility seriously.

Thud:

5w8OzRh8EyOrGjKJOG86nq.jpg

18 months old - will be 2 in November. I don't even know what to say about this mess of a dog - and I say it with love. He's huge. He's clumsy. He's EXTREMELY hard, hard headed, independent. He's high energy. He OOZES prey-drive, his energy level is over the top and teaching him an off switch has taken just this side of eternity. He is smart as can be, into everything, guardy, and just... a lot of dog. He's probably a GSDXLGD. He is NOTHING I ever wanted in a dog and a lot of things I expressly did not. He is wonderful, amazing, and mine on a very fundamental level. He's changed me, how I view dogs, and how I relate to them. He's also given me gray hair, ulcers, and a new appreciation for alcoholic beverages.

And, finally, the Border Thing.

6kFo6ZVxGkuwjqfnHUAHZp.jpg

Molly's 10 weeks old. She's a puppy. She's 3/4 BC, 1/4 ACD and she's a doll. Hard to make judgements about what she will ultimately be. I have a lot of things I hope to do and try with her, but time will tell. She's active, curious, fearless, and eager to learn - but still a baby and still very much a work in progress.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed reading about your dog's. Kylie is adorable, hard to imagine she was thrown away.

Kylie.jpg

That was her very first picture after being fished out and brought home. She's turned into a pretty incredible girl.

(And actually Thud came out of a rural county dump (but not inside the dumpsters) near my mom's house. One person's trash-? Definitely.

And thank you!

I am very new and far more likely to lurk than post (my only border-collie-ish dog is very, very young), but I can never pass up an opportunity to share pictures and talk about my dogs - or to read about other people's.

That was awesome to read - thanks. That's a veritable cornucopia of canines! This is the first time in my life that I have had only one personal dog and I think I might be a little jealous of you.

Sadie is a 11 year old Lab/Husky whom we rescued as a puppy. She's a big fraidy cat due to not having proper socialization(not of people, just things) and hasn't had proper training until the last year so isn't very well trained. She catches onto new tricks very quickly, the most recent taught being, istua and alas. She's in good health although she does have some arthiritis in her front legs.

This picture, taken this winter, is the most recent I have of her.

IMG_7764_zps64efe6b3.jpg

Then Duke. He was born to us last spring after we were very, VERY irresponsible with our intact border collie bitch, Riika who later died through strangling. She was a WONDERFUL cowdog and she was what I think people refer to as my heart dog. Back to Duke.... I am almost certain that he is border collie/lab/pit bull as I'm quite certain I know who the sire is.

He is a big softy (can't take any correction at all) but I just love him. It took me almost a year to realize that I need to stop comparing him to his dam though, and he suffered because of it. He is very helpful around the farm as he will go get any object I point out to him, and carry it where I want him to. Another thing it took me a long time to figure out is, he takes 3-6 seconds to process nearly every command I tell him. He'll just sit there, staring as if like, "What?" and then, "Oh! I can do that!" and then he runs and does it. Anyway, I'd better stop rambling and get a picture on. :) Or several.....

This winter

IMG_7766_zpse173b24a.jpg

The beginning of his helper career.

0106141740-00_zpsdc58c9b6.jpg

This spring

DSC_5561_zps8f143a4f.jpg

And after I shaved him. I debated doing this for a long time as I've read good and bad about it but I decided to do it. (Obviously) I'm very glad I did because his haunches were covered in cheat grass that hadn't been coming out when I combed him and I had no clue was there.

IMG_8403_zpsfc7bfe96.jpg

So there you are! I loved to read all about the rest of ya'lls dogs!

I currently have two dogs living with me, both beautiful Border Collies.

Lyka is now a year old. I am only certain her mom was a border collie, because her litter was dropped off as part of a spay the momma program our shelter runs. The shelter will spay the bitch for free if you turn over a litter, as such the bitches owner wasn't sure who the dad was. The shelter had her down as a possible border collie/golden retriever mix because of her coloring. However after lots of research and finding out that border collies do come in a rare golden color I believe her to be a pure border collie. She acts like a border collie for sure, is unbelievably smart, and has more energy than any dog I have ever been met. Unfortunately she has a severe grain allergy that we discovered in January. She had been sick for two months and the vets were stumped. Thanks to our trainer we were relieved to find out it was only an allergy and not something deadly. We have altered a lot of our habits and have to educate everyone she is around about what they can and cannot give her. Lyka is also very social and has never met a dog, cat, or person she didn't like. Lyka's social skills is partially what led us to our other puppy. Lyka loves playing fetch, being petted, and her puppy play dates.

Lily is now six months old and is a pure border collie. She is a small border collie at bearly 25 lbs currently, we are looking forward to seeing her adult size. Her parents work on a cattle ranch about 3 hours from my house. I had originally planned to get another shelter puppy, but that changed when I stumbled upon an ad for Lily's litter. The breeder had planned on only selling to working homes, but said that she had one pup with no working instinct she was willing to sell to a non-working home under the agreement that I would give the puppy everything she needed to be a happy collie. Lily is much more shy than Lyka, and when I brought her home she was petrified of new dogs. Lily has been so much fun to watch gain confidence. Her and Lyka are best friends and love playing and cuddling eachother when humans are busy. Lily's favorite activities are snuggling up with her humans, fetch, herding the in-law's corgi, and being a big lap dog. She would rather we skip the puppy play dates.

Both of my dogs are currently training the agility basics, and I someday soon hope to compete in agility with one or both of them.

I have two dogs. Rem, a seven year old German Shepherd.

post-16122-0-48044600-1406954838_thumb.jpg

And my four month old Border Collie, Natasha.

post-16122-0-58189200-1406954880_thumb.jpg

We have always been a two dog family and when our Miniature Schnauzer died of old age a year and a half ago I knew I needed another dog. I love my GSD but he is so big that I didn't think I wanted another dog that size. My 12 year old daughter started agility with the GSD and fell in love with agility (the dog wasn't so convinced) so we began the search for an agility dog and that is how we ended up with Natasha.

CptJack, oh what a cute collie in miniature Kylie was. Your little tri surprise was really a Saddleback Sable.

Yes! The color changes are still ongoing, though less so (it's still creeping up her thighs/back end, now) and it's wicked neat to watch. Definitely not a dog who grew up to be what you'd have expected from her puppy appearance.

And thank you! I can NEVER remember the term for the coloration. Now maybe saddleback sable will stick with me.

Because let's face it, the cutest puppy is a sleeping puppy.

Anijo001-1.jpg

Anijo002.jpg

Yes, one blue eye, one brown

Anijo003.jpg

Anijo. (ani) ahnee. Purchased from a "backyard breeder". Contrary to what some folks here believe, she is going to be our pet. 13 weeks at this point. I have built a short "agility" course in our yard for some of her activity. Just starting on some weave poles. That is seeming a little challenge, but it keeps her working for a little while, then we go on to frisbee, or ball fetch, or throw in some basic commands. She does, SIT, (lay) DOWN, WHOA, pretty well. COMEs pretty good, sometimes she just doesn't feel like it. :)

So...the current crew is 3 Border Collies and one terrierest.

Cricket is 11 1/2 and rules the roost as the only female in the pack. I got her at 6 months old from a disabled couple who only had daschunds...she was fearful and their first question was 'should we put her down?.. I bought her, then discovered she had severe hip dysplasia, which I had repaired. She runs like the wind and has only recently started slowing down.

Fint is my pup at 2 years old - He is an awesome dog who I hope to get trained on sheep so he can help with my little flock (6 sheltands) He is the only dog I currently own that I actually know his breeding (granddad Preacher will be running in the trials in Kingston)

I have Spark 6-7 years old (formerly known as Sport) a rescue I took in last year as a companion for Flint...that has been a challenge - Spark has some obsessive habits that we are working on...things are getting better but it is still a work in progress

Last but not least, is Dusty, my terrierest - found on the side of the road in 2005 and we've had him ever since. The best guess of his age would be 10 or 11. He will be having surgery on Aug 14 to repair a torn cruciate on one leg...and we'll be leaving the partial tear on the other leg to hopefully mend on its own.

Jazz (1999-2010) was my first BC pup - he was an awesome therapy dog and succumbed to cancer too soon. His best buddy was a miniature schnauzer named Zachary who was as tough as nails and earned the nickname Ironman

Because let's face it, the cutest puppy is a sleeping puppy.

Anijo001-1.jpg

Anijo002.jpg

Yes, one blue eye, one brown

Anijo003.jpg

Anijo. (ani) ahnee. Purchased from a "backyard breeder". Contrary to what some folks here believe, she is going to be our pet. 13 weeks at this point. I have built a short "agility" course in our yard for some of her activity. Just starting on some weave poles. That is seeming a little challenge, but it keeps her working for a little while, then we go on to frisbee, or ball fetch, or throw in some basic commands. She does, SIT, (lay) DOWN, WHOA, pretty well. COMEs pretty good, sometimes she just doesn't feel like it. :)

She's adorable, but please, please be careful. It sounds like you're having a lot of fun and doing a great job playing and training her, but she should not be learning weave poles yet, it's not good for their growing bodies. Jumping her this young is ill advised as well, of course she can jump in play and at her own free will, but you run the risk of hurting her body. My girl is 11 months old and hasn't even begun to learn to weave, normal recommendations are wait until they're at least a year old. Don't take this the wrong way, I think it's fantastic that you're spending a lot of time with her, just please do more research on what is appropriate for a 13 week old puppy. There are lots of other tricks she can learn, for example, weaving around your legs. :)

Holy god, Bug is adorable. So is everyone else of course, but something about that happy face...I'm such a sucker for bull dogs.

I'm pretty sure if you can look at that face and not feel joy, you're not human. She is the HAPPIEST dog I have EVER met. Gives lots and lots of people the impression she's dumb for some reason (or maybe it's the smooshy face), so it's always fun to see people do a double (or triple) take when she actually proves otherwise.

She's adorable, but please, please be careful. It sounds like you're having a lot of fun and doing a great job playing and training her, but she should not be learning weave poles yet, it's not good for their growing bodies. Jumping her this young is ill advised as well, of course she can jump in play and at her own free will, but you run the risk of hurting her body. My girl is 11 months old and hasn't even begun to learn to weave, normal recommendations are wait until they're at least a year old. Don't take this the wrong way, I think it's fantastic that you're spending a lot of time with her, just please do more research on what is appropriate for a 13 week old puppy. There are lots of other tricks she can learn, for example, weaving around your legs. :)

Yeah, I was going to say this. Exercise is good but repetitve, high stress exercise is not. Weave poles where they're basically an open channel might be okay, walking through jumps with the bars OFF (ie: just walking through the uprights), and a whole lot of cute tricks are okay but actual weave poles and encouraged to go over jumps are a bad idea. Pup is REALLY young. And really, really cute.

Ok. you all know alot more about BCs than me. I will take your advice to heart. I am a little baffled how to exercise her mind and body. I thought the weaving would make her think. I have been doing it once or twice every couple of days. And I have been walking her through by tempting her with treats right at her nose so she is not running. Just walking around the poles. But will stop. Not taking your advice the wrong way at all.

This probably isn't the thread to go much deeper into it, so I will keep it short and do some searching how to occupy her. Thanks for the kind words.

I only have one dog currently. Four and a half month old Layla. The product of my whining and begging. I was actually seeking out a rottie or greater swiss mountain dog. He talked me into looking at these farm pups. They were outside beasts and skittesh of people. But there was just something about Layla's face and that darned freckled nose she out grew. I was adament that we couldn't handle a border collie but he purchased her and since bring her home at 5 weeks old she's been one of the kids. He said that they were fine to go at 5you weeks and despite my arguing we left with her and as a results we had a lot of bite inhibition to deal with and food aggression. Though she has become a wonderful addition. So smart and funny. Currently she's covered in spider webs from playing under our porch.

Now I know they aren't dogs but my boys are very special to me as well. We have Moose the tuxedo cat who I snuck out and brought home because a house without animals is not home. He's like a dog. Plays fetch, drools, barks, and looooooooves head scratches. Then we have Hamilton. He's 9 weeks old and my husband found him at work as the survivor of a dumped litter. We shared many many long nights of wondering if he would make it all skin and bones with parasites all over. He's a sweet boy. My kids treat him like a baby and drag him everywhere.post-16687-0-28265800-1407417054_thumb.jpgpost-16687-0-51778100-1407417031_thumb.jpgpost-16687-0-15977300-1407417007_thumb.jpg

I have 2 dogs currently. Crunchy is the red and white. He will be 5 in a few months and is the sweetest little guy. He had a growth plate disorder when he was just 14 weeks we found it. Thankfully he pulled through. He loves to play fetch and would play all day if he could. Unfortunately he doesn't have much stamina during play. I think it may be a side effect of his disorder. I'm sure he would make a great fly ball dog otherwise.

Nanuke my heart dog is the black and white. He is border collie and collie mix. He just had surgery to remove a large tumor. He is 12.5 and is the guardian of is flock (human family) he checks on my 3 boys every night. He loves frisbee and still thinks he is 2.

post-10840-0-38911600-1407528991_thumb.jpg

post-10840-0-81738100-1407529033_thumb.jpg