BC Boards

That'll do, Tansy (Aug. 2000-July 2014)

Pippin's person

Tansy came to us from Great Lakes Border Collie Rescue in February 2005. My spouse (known here as grenzehund) fell in love with her picture, met her at a meet and greet and brought her home soon after that. From the moment they met, grenzehund and Tansy were soulmates, with a deep and abiding respect, admiration and love for one another that was a joy to witness for the 9+ years I got to witness it.

Tansy was "working" bred (probably a bit more of a BYB but she had ABCA papers), sold as a puppy to a non-working home. She lived her first years in a backyard pen, watching cars zoom past on the Interstate Highway. As far as we could tell, she had no contact with people beyond the single woman who owned her. This remained apparent for her entire life, though she tolerated most everyone she was asked to (except she never did come around to grenzehund's father).

The lovely woman who fostered her brought her to someone who gave herding lessons (an all-breed AKC trainer). Both of them burst into tears seeing Tansy on the sheep because for the first time they could see that something in the world made sense to this dog. We were so touched by that story that we promised to keep bringing her there so she could work the sheep.

Little did we know how profoundly that agreement and this dog would alter our lives.

Not only did we end up fostering many dogs into new lives thanks to Tansy, we also became immersed in the world of stockdogs, moving from the AKC trainer to a USBCHA trainer, adding dogs to our pack, buying a small farm, tending a small flock of sheep. Tansy drove just about every major life decision we made as a family from the moment we brought her home.

She was the definition of a heart dog. I hope everyone (myself included) gets to have a relationship with an animal like the one grenzehund and Tansy shared. And even though she wasn't my heart dog, my heart was every bit as rapt as if she were.

We will miss her terribly, wish her Godspeed, and thank her from the depth of our souls for leading us on such a merry ride.

post-3650-0-54601200-1404406253_thumb.jpg

A life well spent. It's so wonderful to think that she was what inspired you to save all those fosters' lives. It's amazing how dogs can flip our worlds. A beautiful dog and a beautiful story. I am touched by this dog I have never met before.

Rest in peace, Tansy. Mourning with your people.

Tansy had a lot of love and a lot to be proud of, what she accomplished with you two. Her story resonates; Daisy came to us as a rescue in January 2005, and like Tansy, she led us into the world of border collies. Tansy had a lot of soul in her brown eyes. I'm so very, very sorry.

What a moving story for what must have been an absolutely wonderful dog. She must be leaving a very big hole in your lives.

Thanks so much for giving Tansy a great home and a great life, and for allowing her to take you on a journey that would touch so many more lives.

Sincere condolences from my Tansy and me.

roxanne

That was a fabulous, well-told story. Made me tear up in that good way.

I had my first BC for 18 years and she too changed everything about my life and triggered many a major life decision. Every dog I have had since then walks a little in her shadow.

Thanks for sharing.

My profound sympathies for your loss.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It is amazing how such a little being (she only weighed 28 lbs!) can have such a monumental place. I love all of the people we've met and places we've been thanks to Tansy helping us forge the path.

Here's another picture of her with a pretty sweet backstory: Every year the rescue has a picnic and does various competitions and such. Tansy was always far too shy to join in, but one year the contest was for the best kisses. Tansy wouldn't join in, but she showed what she had just outside the gate! The "judge" caught the act and gave her an award even though she wasn't in the competition.

post-3650-0-97211200-1404423099_thumb.jpg

when we adopt them, we always think how much we are changing their lives, for the better, when in truth, it is they who are changing our lives in ways we would have never imagined! well done Tansy, well done.

I always try to avoid this section, because it makes me cry. But I know Tansy was a dog in a million. My heart goes out to you and yours, and I'd like to repeat the deepest condolences I already offered on FB.

And now everyone go out and give your dogs a BIG hug - this made three "heart dogs" that I know of that were lost in less than a week.