BC Boards

Shipping a dog from US to Canada

I flew with a dog from Canada to the US. He'd gone from the US to Canada by car. Aside from the fact that he was in Canada *just* long enough for his health papers to expire, it wasn't a big deal. He was up there for training, and so I took him to the trainer's vet & got new papers. Flying with a dog gets you through customs REALLY quickly :)

US-Canada isn't usually a problem. I found a customs or import/export website & got all the proper health papers & vaccinations. I'm not sure about shipping a dog unattended, but I can't imagine it's that much more trouble.

Alaska Airlines, if they are an option, was absolutely awesome. I've also flown a dog attended, and shipped one unattended on Delta with no trouble. All three dogs flew in the fall/winter. There can be summer weather restrictions.

You might make sure you wouldn't have trouble shipping a dog from Canada, if you're not a Canadian citizen. It was definitely easier flying across the boarder than driving... but we were crossing between WA & BC, where the road crossings are always freakin' busy no matter what time of day or year.

I actually got my pup from Canada. The breeder crossed over in Michigan by car. She had all the papers and said that was the fastest she ever crossed over the border. She usually crosses over into NY. I am thinking about sending our dog backover into Canada for a month of training. Never really thought about shipping the dog over. How stressful is that on the dog as I want this to be as stressless as possible so our dog can take in as much training as possible. I might check into flying him over. I have also had somethought about just doing training her also.

Hope

Hope, I left my young dog- 18 months at the time- with a trainer neither he nor I had ever met. She came very highly recommended, though. She took him home after a trial we were both attending, kept him for 10-12 weeks (I forget- Hoot is almost 5 now), and then I flew up to bring him back since flights were cheap in the winter & it was easier than driving over snowy mountain passes. Hoot never missed a beat, and he's not really an easy-going, take-it-all-in type of dog. In fact, he's the one who is hyper-sensitive to changes in his routine, and he worries about things a lot. He also went from house living to kennel living, and I think he was like a kid at camp- he was perfectly happy in a house made of straw with a bouncy pup in the next kennel. He was SUPER happy & wiggly when I got up there, but he would have happily stayed, I'm sure. Most dogs are pretty resilient... especially when the "new" temporary home involves working every day :)

My very selfish employer flies his dogs 7 hours to a second home a couple of times a year so they can be with him - instead of leaving them, for a couple of months at a time -

His dogs are both complete wrecks about certain things: urban subway entrances, sewer grates, loud noises, trains (i e subway), jackhammers, construction noise, car interiors, the sight of travel crates, suitcases, and being held for longer than 30 seconds or so. Pinned ears, glazed eyes, heavy panting, prostration - so much cortisol in those dogs for so long. both of his dogs have had spontaneous GI issues (HGE twice) , one has developed hip dysplasia, the other pannus....So I'm very biased against flying dogs because I think it's just too foreign. No matter how you coat it, it's hot, dark, lonely and noisy and it vibrates.

Just took two into Canada for the day. health paper requirements for traveling with a dog was a rabies cert (we also had health certificate for insurance. But it was easy to cross the border.

I have sent dogs to Canada but it was years ago, in the check for the current regulations you need a health cert 24 hours before sending the dog on a plane is what I was told.