BC Boards

doesnt want to go home...

Hi

has anyone got any suggestions for my 1 yr old border collie lucky, she is getting there with obediance training, fantastic indoors but when we go out for a long walk off the lead playing fetch the ball (which she loves) when its time to go home (we will have been out for ages and she is exausted) she will not come close enough to have the lead put back on..she is a little toad.. tried doing it when she not expecting it but she is too clever and wont come in reach distance. it is so frustrating i could be nicey nicey..or really angry shouting no diffrence she just doesnt want to go home.. but this is making me really reluctante to let her off the leash..

even take yummy treats like cheese and pork chunks and liver cake...she wont come close to take it from me. she doesnt run off. will run around me.. any suggestions...PLEASE..

My pup Cody did this when he was younger. I did what Barb just suggested. When playing fetch if he came close I would touch his head or collar then throw the ball. After that I started putting the leash on and walk around a bit then take it off. He seems to be over it now thank goodness.

Had the exact same problem with Diamond - she's 2 but we've only had her for a few months.

In addition to what's been suggested above, I also tell her "okay, time for work!" then she goes to the flat place in the park where we work on her obedience skills (mainly "heeling").

She meekly goes over there, waits for me, I clip on her leash, we do a few minutes of obedience work and then I tell her "good work!!!" and we go home ...

She loves to "work", loves all of the positive reinforcement that goes along with it, and it sure makes the 'recall' training easier, because she knows that having her leash attached doesn't mean the fun is over!

Good luck ...

not good....tried touching collar praising when she came near. managed to clip the lead on once when the ball went in the bush and she was trying to get it..then tokk her round the field, not strait home, then next time she went to the drink trough and cliped the lead on with praise..kept walking with her so not taking her strait home, but then the next time we went, she would not come near me at all, just styed out of reach..and in the end my husbad had to yell and shout at her so she coward down and was put in the car after trying to get her for an hour.......not happy ..the little toad.. she will have to stay on the lead for a while till shes a tad older i think..as i cant take the stress..he he..any more suggestions, please keep me posted..thanks.

Make coming to you OFTEN a treat-----give her tons of praise and sit on the ground with her, petting as praising. Every time you take her outside make this happen. Make sure she has ONE command that brings her in to you......this way she will know you mean business about coming in. Then praise, praise, praise. I like to not use food, just praise. Don't try to leash her right away, just get her used to coming in. Then after awhile covertly leash her and praise, praise praise her........then unleash her. Repeat this a lot. You must make this fun for her as something she wants to do for the love and raise. I had a dog I was trainignthat had this habit and she responded well to this.

The other day my neighbor's Chow got away from her while I was outside playing with Jake. She was following behind the dog, calling her and using all kinds of voices......the dog was getting further away from her. I saw this and knew that dog neeeded to be brought home asap. I told her to stop and stand still ( put the owner on a down-stay) and walked up the sidewalk a little till I could see the dog disappearing around the corner. I called her name and said "Come Back, _____" She immediately turned and came right for me, and I grabbed her for the owner. Apparently the dog does this a lot......but now the owner has learned how to get her to return. I gave her some other pointers also.

Raining here and I have a meeting to go to....

Have a great day, all!

thanks everyone sounds good carly i will try that...i am using an extendable lead at the moment as the coming to me is great in a closed area..(garden, house) its when we are on a walk absoloutly brill while walking its when its time to go home she knows and just isnt ready....doesnt matter how long weve been out....she slipped her collar a couple of days ago..after calling and calling and following..i decided to turn away ignore her and walk back towards the car..opened the passenger door..where she sits then opened my door and slammed it..he he there she was so in a happy voice said in you go.. and in she got..bet she wont do that every time..but i praised her a lot...

The last thing I would do is chase after her when she is "taunting" you. I have a dog (not a BC) who does the exact same thing, and what worked best for me was to completely ignore him when he was doing that. It drove him crazy that every time he would come near me, I would walk in the other direction.

f you give her no reinforcement for the bad behavior, but give her rewards when she is near you, I think that would be a step in the right direction.

I also like Barb Scott's idea. Don't chase her, have her chase you.

Along with that, calling her to you frequently for a treat or toy is a great idea. Don't just call her when you're going to put the leash on.

I had this problem with Jordi - He would do a superb recall off the lead, in a field when training but on walks would go into play mode and either run off or igore me! The only way I "solved" it was to teach him to drop on command, on & off the lead, and at any time in the house or out. When its time to come back in from a walk he now lies down and waits for me to collect him! Not ideal but at least we go home when I want to.

Jenny

Remember that, anytime you want your dog to come, it should be a positive experience. A recall should always be a good thing - no punishment, harsh words, etc. No matter how mad you are (and I know how that is). If the dog will "down" for you and let you walk up, same thing, no punishment and no negativity.

Everyone has given you good advice. Try it and see which works. Make the leash a good thing - it should mean a good time is coming or a fabulous treat.

Good luck!