BC Boards

New BC owner and having a blast!

Nathan, Have you checked out Glen Highland Farm? http://glenhighlandfarm.com/ghf_home.htm

They cover PA.

Good luck finding your dog!

Thanks! I have looked into GH farm and am impressed w them. My wife and I are taking our time, no rush whatsoever, but I'm extremely amped knowing one day that day will be here when I find the right dog, the right fit, hopefully attend a few trials, and eventually have everything as ready as can be. As for now hope everyone won't mind me being a BC admirer

As for now hope everyone won't mind me being a BC admirer

ha! So long as you don't mind me being a GSD admirer. ;) It's the breed I really wanted but since I was a first time dog owner I was worried I was too novice to manage and properly channel the guarding instinct that makes the breed so noble to me. So I got a border collie and that really made life a lot easier... <_<

Have fun at the trials. BC people are so friendly and happy to talk about the breed they love and cherish. You should also give a shout out on the boards when you are about to attend a trial. I wouldn't be surprised if you bump into a few forum members while you are there!

Very cute puppy! I love the one ear up, one ear down photo. I got my first BC four weeks ago and I love hearing positive experiences from other first time owners.

ha! So long as you don't mind me being a GSD admirer. ;) It's the breed I really wanted but since I was a first time dog owner I was worried I was too novice to manage and properly channel the guarding instinct that makes the breed so noble to me. So I got a border collie and that really made life a lot easier... <_<

It has only been a few weeks but I can tell you that so far my GSD was the easier puppy! :D

Too many people feel that "the world's most intelligent dog" will train itself and require little or no input and effort on their part, and that is the opposite of reality.

... and by "opposite of reality", understand that "the world's most intelligent dog" is smart enough to train you if you are not careful...

• 2 weeks later...

Puppies AND kitties?! I think I've died and gone to heaven! I too, am a new bc parent. My little guy Piper is 6 months old and a total goof. He's wild and he always keeps me on my toes, but he really is the best dog. I know I'm not the best trainer as I am a pretty novice dog owner, but we work on it everyday and it's always fun and lots of laughs! In a few days we are going to start dog scootering, which I can't wait for, and we have already started laying the foundation for triball. I live in the suburbs so sheep are kind of out of the question! Your dog Scout is absolutely perfect.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to update this thread to say that our pup is now around 6 months old and is still so much fun to work and live with! We finished both a basic obedience and our first (age appropriate) agility course. We start another 8 week agility course in a few days. After a little encouragement, she's also discovered how much fun it is to swim! I've seen a twinkle in her eye hinting at teenage antics, but for now she's still easy peasy. It has been such a joy seeing her grow! I'm hooked.