BC Boards

New BC owner and having a blast!

Hi All!

Firstly, thank you everyone for such a valuable resource. I've been soaking up all the wonderful insight and information the experienced border collie folks have so generously provided.

We brought home out first BC as a seven week old pup almost nine weeks ago. She's from working lines and both her parents are working sheep dogs. We have been having an absolute blast with her! I've been considering a BC for years and kept talking myself out of it. When I met her sire two years ago, I reconsidered. I'm so glad I did! Many of the reasons that caused me to tell myself I didn't want to take on a BC must surely have been flavored with the opinions of those who haven't owned one. This puppy is a dream. Yes, I can see the seeds of some first class naughtiness in the hands of a less pro-active puppy owner. And yes, she needs exercise. But she's super fun to train, she's more motivated and more focused than any puppy I've worked with, she loves people, she's been far easier to integrate with my "herd" of six cats than I could have hoped for, and she seems perpetually attuned to getting right whatever I ask of her.

I share this for the folks, like me, who are considering a BC and spend a lot of time convincing themselves that a BC would be, not just a challenge, but a ticking time bomb. At just 4 months, we no doubtedly have challenges ahead of us. But so far, puppyhood has been a wonderful, rewarding, and ever-amusing experience and I'm thankful every single day that I took the plunge with our Scout.

Welcome!

I think you summed it up pretty well when you said "...in the hands of a less pro-active puppy owner..." The problem for many people is that they are either not willing, not able, or not knowledgeable enough to put in the training, interaction, and environment that is needed for an active, intelligent, intense, motion and sound sensitive pup/dog. That is where the disasters happen. Too many people feel that "the world's most intelligent dog" will train itself and require little or no input and effort on their part, and that is the opposite of reality.

PS - You haven't hit the teenage stage yet and many "perfect" pups become "perfect demons" for a while, forgetting everything you've taught them and no longer considering you the center of their world, but that, too, will pass.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm preparing myself for the terrible teenage phase the same way I prepared for the dreaded puppy challenges: doing all I can to build a strong working relationship and prevention, prevention, prevention. We are finishing our first basic obedience class this weekend and will start foundation agility the next. That said, my basic expectation of every dog is they act like complete turds during their teen phase. I'm sure this pup will have her moments! I won't hold it against her. :)

As soon as I figure out how to add pics, I will make that happen!

I will add the caveat, I did not intend to say that every novice puppy seeker should run out and get a Border Collie. Rather, my personal experience with dairy goat forums (very similar to this one) is this: if you are new to dairy goats and read the boards, you can easily convince yourself that your perfectly healthy goats will kick the bucket any minute. Often, folks look to forums (especially those where experienced hands offer advice) to ask questions regarding an issue or crisis. It's much less common to post that "everything is peaches and cream and isn't that lovely." The truth is, if you are educated and proactive about your management in dairy goats (and prepared for the worst) then you will probably be successful in raising them overall, despite the number of things that can and do go wrong. I am starting to suspect the same is true of raising a Border Collie... So here is my "peaches and cream" post. :)

OK, you might just have the cutest puppy in the world... Scout (I'm assuming that's her name based on your username?) is adorable and has the most expressive face!!

Congrats and it was so nice to read your post about her. I agree with Sue that the teenage phase can be a trying one, but I actually enjoyed my dog's adolescence more then his puppyhood. He was like a little sponge soaking up everything I taught him (and yes, selectively forgetting all of it when it suited him, lol). Still, I think adolescence is a pretty cool stage of life... you just have to stock up on patience and remember to breathe. ;)

Well, isn't Scout just the cutest.thing.evah! :wub: I especially love the third picture where she's grinning from ear to ear.

Welcome to the wonderful world of border collies, and to the Boards. It sounds like you've got just the right understanding and attitude to do really well with her. ;)

Too many people feel that "the world's most intelligent dog" will train itself and require little or no input and effort on their part, and that is the opposite of reality.

This totally hits the nail on the head. Such a sad, unfortunate consequence of their well deserved reputation. It's refreshing to hear from someone new to the breed who's thought things out and is doing what needs to be done to assure that her new pup gets the best foundation for success.

Thanks for posting your very thoughtful peaches and cream post! Wishing the two of you a very long and happy partnership in the years to come.

I'm in a similar position. Been looking for a BC rescue or good working breeder, and not going to lie, I've heard lots of horror stories. Reading your posts is refreshing and your pup is a GREAT LOOKING dog!

Hi I am also a new member, although I do not have a puppy, I have just lost my best friend. Becky was 12 years old and I find after 1 1/2 weeks i can finally breath. We made an awful lot of mistakes with Miss Becky but she was very forgiving and a very well mannered and wonderful working partner. (In fact I have had trouble getting horses out to pasture, they keep turning and coming back somewhat confused - "where is that little black and white demon?" We are going to attend our first trial in July at Cortland, NY, just hopefully to meet some folks and see how it works. My husband has always wanted to have a dog that could participate in the trials. This was my third BC in my lifetime and not my last! (although I had to laugh at the reference to the teenager -YIKES - that was the worst!) Thank you all for all the wonderful information! I am just soaking it up. I have Appaloosa horses, and they are kind of like a BC - too smart for their britches! LOL!

Oh my, GentleLake, there are some really good lookin' dogs up for adoption... Maizey and Annabelle look very, very cool! Does GHF actually do instinct testing on their rescues? Just curious.

I also wanted to say "welcome" to nyappylady! So sorry to hear of your recent loss... Becky sounded like a wonderful best friend. I hope that when you are ready you'll be able to open your heart and your home to a new companion. When you start attending trials let people on the boards know. Members are spread from coast to coast (and over the "ponds") so you'd probably bump into a few forum member at just about any trial you attend. :)

Oh my, what an adorable puppy! I love the photo where she's smiling... it's just the cutest thing! That is one of the cutest bcs I've ever seen, to be honest.

It's so refreshing to hear such great enthusiasm when it comes to the breed. I'll be getting my bc in a week or two, and I've been really nervous. I'm nervous I won't be able to spend enough time with her, that she'll be crazy hyperactive, and that she will be (as you said) a ticking time bomb. Like you, I've always told myself I couldn't handle the energy. Now I've taken the jump, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to reap the benefits.

I hope for a soulmate in this dog, and I'm so nervous I won't be able to handle her. Wish me luck~

I think GHF does some instinct testing, but I don't know if they do on all their dogs. My old gal, Tilly, is a GHF alum. ;)

I'd inquired about Maizey but her dog issues wouldn't have made her a fit here (or for the therapy work I'd have hoped to do with her), but I hadn't noticed that her sister had come in . . . . it really isn't the best time for me to get another yet, but I may just have to shoot off an inquiry . . . (Darn you, Camden's Mom! LOL I might have lived in blissful ignorance of Annabelle if you hadn't peeked. :D )

I just came here to say welcome, and THAT PUPPY. That smile. Those markings around the eyes. That everything. She's adorable, is all! As someone who will very soon be getting their first Border Collie, I am psyched to hear that puppyhood was a great experience for one person at least.