BC Boards

Questions about growth and adult coat

My pup will be 6 months in a week, and has seemed to stop growing. I was wondering if he will get any fluffier or get any taller after six months? He's not nearly as furry as I thought he'd be at this age. Also, what contributes to the change in his ears? They were off to the side for a good month, and now one is flopped over.

Attached are pictures from when he was a pup, and him now :)

post-16283-0-56581200-1402323157_thumb.jpg

post-16283-0-29994300-1402323177_thumb.jpg

post-16283-0-82889800-1402323181_thumb.jpg

post-16283-0-92466300-1402323299_thumb.jpg

post-16283-0-51086200-1402323306_thumb.jpg

post-16283-0-61133500-1402323376_thumb.jpg

post-16283-0-60431000-1402323381_thumb.jpg

post-16283-0-32054000-1402323386_thumb.jpg

I was told the ear thing had to do with their teething, that they change all over the place, up down etc. while teething. Mya held hers up straight for 2 weeks but then she has let them halfway droop again and she is 8 months and I would think done teething so I guess that is how they are going to stay. I was hoping for the prick ears myself but she is cute no matter.

She really has not changed much at all since about 6 months. Maybe grown another 1/2 inch and added a pound or so in the last 2 months but barely anything.

While it's really impossible to say for sure, my best guess is that all that fuzz on his ears means he's gonna' get a much fuller coat over time.

Here's a pic of Camden when he'd just turned 6 month old:

6mo_zps7e1eebdb.jpg

And here he is at 21 months old:

21mo_zps3f431768.jpg

Not only did his coat fill out a lot but he did do quite a bit more growing over the next year. It was slow enough that I wouldn't really notice until I'd look back at pictures from a couple months earlier.

My goodness, Camden is a beautiful dog.

^^^ Couldnt agree more! One good looking Collie.

Aw, shucks... Thanks! I sure think so, too (but I'm unabashedly partial, lol). ^_^

I was just gonna' comment on the ear thing as well. I don't remember precisely when Camden made a final decision on how he'd wear his ears but I know he went through a LOT of "ear-dos" throughout his puppyhood. The only style he never even tried out were full pricked ears. He tried one up (and the other doing any variety of things) plenty of times but never thought to see what they both looked like standing up at the same time. ;)

Like Mom of Mya, I've heard ear changes are associated with teething. I'd think he'd have his teeth (and eardo) set by the time he's one year old?

My pup will be 6 months in a week, and has seemed to stop growing. I was wondering if he will get any fluffier or get any taller after six months? He's not nearly as furry as I thought he'd be at this age. Also, what contributes to the change in his ears? They were off to the side for a good month, and now one is flopped over.

Attached are pictures from when he was a pup, and him now :)

What a cute pup! And what a lot of handsome and cute dogs all along this thread. :)

He might have most of his height by now, but he's going to fill out for another couple years and he probably won't have his full coat until he's over 3 years old. That's just been my experience with my own dogs. Looks like he's going to be a fairly furry rascal, though! And did I mention cute? :P

~ Gloria

After teething is finished around 6 months the ears should settle, but I have seen a couple dogs how changed ear set even later than that, but I really mean 2 dogs out of thousands.

And Gideon and Micah, both, didn't have much coat at all until after 8 months then continued to get more for quite a while. Gideon is almost 3 1/2 and definitely got more coat after 2 1/2, but I haven't noticed any changes for a while. Many dogs that are medium coats continue to get heavier coats as they age.

Um, sometimes that is their ear set. Both of my dogs are airplane eared, but both are capable of pulling their ears completely erect, if something interests them enough. Usually, they only do one side or the other, but they can do both sides. They are almost 2 1/2 and almost 3 1/2 and their ear set is not going to change, but it is very mobile.