BC Boards

Have an agressive Lab/Golden mix male adult

So our BC puppy is very demanding. She gets along fine with our other 2 dogs terrier male and a rotti coon hound mix female. Outside is fine it's in the house that is the problem. We try and make our dogs a pack and we are in charge, The lab would just as soon kill the BC inside as look at her outside he is fine. We keep them separate that as you know a BC puppy can be a terror. So when would it be safe to allow interaction inside the house. She is 3 months. Just wondering at what age could A BC handle herself against a 135 LB lab mix inside when he wants to kill her.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I believe this is an area meant to post questions specifically related to stockdog training, not general dog training.

2. to answer your question, never. She will always be a fraction of his size and you know that he is aggressive enough to want to kill her. Putting them together is a Very. Bad. Idea. It would be grossly irresponsible. Sorry to be so blunt.

Find a way to crate and rotate, keep them separated another way or re-home one of them.

So our BC puppy is very demanding. She gets along fine with our other 2 dogs terrier male and a rotti coon hound mix female. Outside is fine it's in the house that is the problem. We try and make our dogs a pack and we are in charge, The lab would just as soon kill the BC inside as look at her outside he is fine. We keep them separate that as you know a BC puppy can be a terror. So when would it be safe to allow interaction inside the house. She is 3 months. Just wondering at what age could A BC handle herself against a 135 LB lab mix inside when he wants to kill her.

You've posted twice in the Ask an Expert section with variations of this question. Perhaps Eileen could move this post for you, but I'm concerned about the scenario you describe.

First, this "demanding" pup should not be allowed to pester your older dogs until they feel compelled to correct her. Their job is not to raise the pup. That's your job. Your older dogs need "safe areas" where she can't reach them and privacy whenever they desire it.

You can't force dogs to be friends or pals, and if they don't like each other, then you must manage the situation.

The answer to your question though, has already been given. She will NEVER be able to "handle herself" against a dog who weighs more than I do and who wants to "kill her."

If the antipathy is to the point of physical danger, you've already crossed the line of that dog's tolerance. You can't un-make that level of dislike. You can only manage it and assure that everyone else in your household strictly follows the same guidelines. They may require being kept separate their entire lives. Or perhaps when she matures, he'll learn some tolerance, but you absolutely must - I can't stress this enough - control and manage your pup's level of exuberance and rowdiness with your other dogs. If she's not being fair to them, if she's annoying and bothersome, remove her and give them peace. Do that for as long as it takes.

Otherwise, it's like expecting a room full of adults to tolerate a screaming child romping around the house. Be fair to your grown dogs. Manage the pup. And do not expect your big male to ever like her enough to be trusted with her. The results of complacency could be bloody and tragic.

Wishing you well,

Gloria

Everything that Gloria and Rushdoggie said with one addition.

It doesn't matter whether the dog that's taking offense is 135 lbs. or 10 lbs., it's irresponsible and dangerous to permit them to interact in ways that either should have to "handle" itself in an untenable situation.

Get smart about this before you have some serious regrets.

Although I agree with the others that an aggressive dog is nothing to be taken lightly, I still want to know what behaviours the lab is exhibiting that makes you think he wants to "kill her". It's a pretty extreme statement and before I advise you to take extreme measures it'd be nice to have some confirmation that it really is that extreme of a situation.

If this is real seek out a professional trainer ASAP! That's the equivalent of asking when my grandma's 5 pound toy poodle will be able to take on my 45 pound border collie. Weight doesn't matter and it is a myth that you should let dogs work dominance/aggression issues out on their own. You're more likely to get one of your pets seriously hurt.

The short answer to your question is never it's your job to make sure that is never neccicary, which is why I have a professional trainer to help me make sure my dogs are well behaved.

I think this was a joke question. That's the first thing I thought when I read it. It is too over the top to be real.

The thing is, I remember this person something to this effect before this post. I just tried to find it and couldn't (and s/he has only posted twice, but this is the only one coming up), but I'm sure it's not my imagination.

It's like when we were kids and would call a phone number and then ask the people if their refrigerator was running. Or the one about Prince Albert in a can. We thought that was hilarious. We were about 8.

By 9 we were on to other things.

I think trolls are kind of like that. They just like to feed off the reactions.

I think trolls are kind of like that. They just like to feed off the reactions.

Yeah, but if that were the case, wouldn't (generic) you think s/he would have come back to see what the reaction s were? I just think it's very odd that s/he posted and never came back to see if there were any responses at all.

Yet here we all are, still talking about it. LOL

But he/she could come back and we wouldn't know, as long as he/she did not sign in. I can be on a computer, not signed in, and click on "view new content" and see all the new stuff and/or navigate around the site.

So some sicko can be reading everything we've written and we would not know as long as they did not sign in. As it's saying below, "1 member, 1 guest, 0 anonymous" means "one member who is signed in, one person who is not signed in, and nobody who is a signed in member who is following anonymously". The anonymous person can still get notifications of new posts in the topic and yet never be known to be reading it if they follow anonymously or without signing in.

That's how I understand it.

Prince Albert was a brand of tobacco, pipe tobacco I think, that was sold in a can, as well as, IIRC, other packaging. So you'd ask someone if they had Prince Albert in a can and if they said yes, you replied, well, then, you should let him out. Only funny to a juvenile mind.

Sue, you're right, of course, but if it was an at all serious question (and it was posed twice, the other time in another thread), you'd think the person would have come back. Unless we scared her or him off by saying it was posted in the wrong place and then that it was a serious problem that needed to be dealt with.

Who knows? And if it weren't for the fact that there's for a dog or dogs out there that might end up getting hurt, I'd say who cares?