BC Boards

How to Prevent Allergy Issues in Public

My older border collie Lyka has a pretty serious grain allergy. Even just a couple of treats containing grain cause her to itch like crazy and get very runny poop starting about 15 minutes after she eats it. So, while it's not life threatening it is very unpleasant for both me and Lyka. I make sure that anything I give her has 0 grains and have made the people that I bring her around aware of her issue.

The problem I have is when I take her to training classes the other people insist on feeding her treats with grain regardless of me explaining the allergy to them. The trainer in my class has also told them not to share treats with Lyka if I didn't give them the OK. The students in Lyka's class are constantly rotating as the point of the class is to expose her to being able to focus on me with as many different dogs and people as possible. The rotating students means that there is almost always someone new who 'forgets' and tosses her treats anyway.

I've taken to keeping Lyka away from

The other people for the most part, but I have been wondering if there is an easier better way to help remind people that she can't have grains, possibly even some kind of identification she can wear...

Has anyone else has any issue similar to this or any ideas that could help me?

You can buy a bandana and write please don't feed or has grain allergy. I am sure someplace online sells something that already says it. However I doubt it does much good. If people can't listen to what you say I can't imagine them taking the time to read something and abide by it.

I would just keep her away from people you think will not listen to you. I like the suggestion of having the trainer announce it really quick each class.

Asking the trainer to announce it is a good idea, but the reality is you're just going to have to be really firm with people in order to protect your dog. If they don't get it when you try politely, then get firm. If they think you're rude, that's their problem. <_<

I have a dog reactive dog, and people just.don't.listen. So if they keep approaching with their dogs, I just turn and go the other way, often turning back and telling them why. This may help, too.

Yeah, agree totally with GentleLake.

I am a meek timid person offline (no really, stop laughing) and people can brush that off quite easily. Some people will listen to emotion, abrasiveness, or irrationality where the same thing said quietly or politely will leave them cold. If it really won't stop bring a snarky friend, or do a bit of amateur dramatics yourself. It can help to treat it like acting. Sometimes it's better to have people think you're rude or daft than to have to cope with the diarrhoea or your dog going crazy!

A bandana could work nicely if the person's genuinely forgetting.

It's sad but true that the assertive people, or eccentrics, who can make it hard work for others to thwart them will usually be thwarted less often. The trouble is that there are no memorable circumstances or negative consequences attached to them giving treats currently, the consequences all fall on you.

I think the instructor announcing a friendly reminder before class is a good idea. Some people may genuinely forget. I was at an off-leash dog area and a super friendly dog came up and plopped right down, square in front of me, in a perfect little sit. I swear I didn't even *think* about what I was doing when I said "Good Dog!!" and tossed him one of the homemade treats I make for Camden. As soon as the treat hit that dog's mouth I groaned... I knew better... but I got swept up in the moment with this charming lil' pup. I immediately walked over to the owner to let her know what I had done and was prepared to tell her exactly what was in the treats in case the dog had an allergy. Lucky for me it wasn't a problem at all but she appreciated me letting her know and I kicked myself for not thinking... So yeah, sometimes people make mistakes or forget, especially if you have a very sweet and friendly dog.

Because people really like to feed treats to other dogs (especially in a socializing/training environment) can you supply treats that Lyka can eat for others to give her throughout the class?

As for the people who know she has a reaction and still insist on feeding her treats that aren't safe... I think it's time to get rude. I do not like confrontation but honestly, why on earth should your dog have to suffer an allergic reaction just because they really want to give her one of their treats?!?! I can't imagine a more selfish choice for another dog owner to make. Have the trainer be a second set of eyes to make sure no one is feeding her treats. If someone openly defies your and the instructor's direction NOT to feed her non-safe treats I'd collect their info so they can pay for the vet visit should she have a serious reaction. That might drive the point home.

Thank you all for the advice she has a class tonight, so I will visit with the instructor and see if she would remind everyone at the beginning of each class.

I may look into the bandana for other situations that are more out of my control like visits to the dog park or even camping, as Lyka is a very friendly dog and easily solicits treats from everyone she meets. My grandma in particular loves giving her treats and carries baby carrots around if I bring Lyka over and just uses them as treats for all of the dogs so she doesn't forget and give her an innapropriate treat.

If someone at Lyka's class asks me if they can feed her I will ask them what they want to give her and if it has grain I give them something for her to eat. But there are always those people that assume that it is OK to treat her without asking. I would hope that they are honestly forgetting as opposed to being jerks, but if it continues even after warnings and a reminder from the instructor at the beginning I'm going to have to put my foot down, as I am also a shy person it is difficult for me to start a conflict, but I have to do what is best for Lyka.

Camden's Mom: it is nice of you to let the owner know that you messed up by sharing your treats. In most cases I wouldn't mind but where allergies are involved I have to take anything she eats seriously. I think her problem is just like the pup you tossed a treat to, in the way that she is a very friendly/happy go lucky dog and people just want to reward her for it.

Honestly, I'm not really sure how much a bandanna would help. I doubt most people would read it, or even how visible it would be.

People are clueless. You have to be the one who's constantly on the alert. Sad but true.

I'm with Camden's Mom; I'd threaten people with vet bills. It just might make them take you seriously.

I am always on alert with her getting food. I understand it comes with the responsibility of having a dog with allergies. I figure a bandanna couldn't hurt when she is off leash. If nothing else it will just help her look more fabulous :)

I wish there was less of a culture of feeding other people's pets. One of our lot had to go on a strict special diet recently (sudden immune problems) and the vet suggested a 'Diabetic- do not feed me' tag on the collar in case she ever gets lost. You shouldn't have to warn people not to feed a healthy owned dog, especially when the owner's there, it should be the default.

I hadn't thought about a warning tag for if she gets lost, but that's a really good idea. She wears a normal tag now.

Honestly it doesn't bother me if someone wants to feed my dog, but they really need to ask first. Because you are 100% right no one knows what issues someone one else's dog may have with the food they're giving them. If they would ask I could give them something acceptable for my dog to eat.

Are your classes large? Is it possible for you to make a quick announcement, offer to pass out a few of your treats to those who want to treat your dog? I understand that you should be asked if it's ok before someone gives your dog anything but... Sorry so this is so stunted, on my phone with poor thumb typing skills.

I actually passed out a few treats today, and only one person almost fed her a different treat. It was an older woman who is usually very good, but I'm fairly sure it was an accident.

I wouldn't say it solved the problem, but handing out treats and a reminder from the trainer has certainly been a step in the right direction.

Dear Doggers,

If you are in a treat culture, where treats are believed "good" and even "useful", people will give your dog treats. In a non-treat culture (sheepdogging, traditional training)people don't give your dog treats.

In her 8 years I don't think Fly has ever had a treat from me or anyone else.

Donald McCaig

Donald, the OP is asking for help dealing with people in her own culture. Are you suggesting that the only way for her to address this issue is for her to abandon her culture and take up yours?

Whether you choose to use treats for training or not, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it's a very useful tool for many types of training. I don't understand the need to criticize it at every opportunity.

Dear Ms. Lake,

I have seen (mostly) drive trainers and (mostly) ecollar trainers use treats.

When one is training dog breeds with no genetic urge to cooperate with humans to tasks which make no sense to the dog, I understand introducing dog money into the equation.

Border Collies do wish to cooperate with human beings and though money tempts some priests; to others it's irrelevant.

Because treat culture is smug, dominant and part of how many pet and agility trainers understand their dogs, I fear you'll have to put up with or ignore my occasional reminders there are other successful treat-free training methods.

Donald McCaig

I am fully and happily immersed in the cookie culture, but not sure why so many people would be giving treats to other students' dogs in class. I would keep my dog at my side and not allow her to interact with other people unless I was confident they weren't going to give her treats. No need to be rude, but I would be very firm and clear about no treats, physically preventing the interaction if the other person refused or seem incapable of complying.

I actually passed out a few treats today, and only one person almost fed her a different treat. It was an older woman who is usually very good, but I'm fairly sure it was an accident.

This is great news! It's also a relief to hear that other people giving her treats might have been an honest mistake/slip up more then the other owners intentionally disregarding your requests. I've been in a few training classes and the energy can be pretty high, people get distracted and excited... sounds like your classmates are performing well with gentle, constant reminders. You should bring cookies for them, too. ;)

I am fully and happily immersed in the cookie culture, but not sure why so many people would be giving treats to other students' dogs in class.

I think it really depends on the goal of the class. I did a weekly puppy socialization class and also a formal training class geared towards younger dogs (under 2yo). In both of these classes owners were highly encouraged to pass their dogs around. The dogs were getting love, pets, attention and treats from everyone. They were also learning how to properly interact with people and other dogs (sit for pets, no jumping, calm greetings, etc.)

However, when we took an obedience class the environment was the complete opposite. Handler focus was the primary goal and the dogs were not given an opportunity to socialize at all. Dog interaction was actively discouraged. I, personally, much preferred the atmosphere of the obedience class but I think the socialization in the puppy/young dog classes was good for my dog in the beginning.

I think anybody feeding my dog anything, without asking my permission, be it a treat or scraps/bones from their own food is rude and irritating.

Case C, I don´t really understand why people of your training class feel the need to give treats to other dogs than their own...?

I cannot imagine that this would be good for training.

It is typically during the part of the class where we let the dogs greet eachother and all the other humans at the beginning or end of class. Lyka tends to visit the people and start doing tricks so they will give her treats. She had learned to work the crowd of sorts.

I like the treat training method because it works best for me. It is a personal preference, but I respect whatever method someone else uses on their own dog.

My old beagle will get sick from people food any and all people food pretty much will render her ill for a couple weeks. I have been through this issue time and time again for the 15 years of her life! I have just gotten to the point where I just tell them my dog gets sick please don't feed her that. If they insist I tell them how sick she gets! yep all the icky details, then I say with a smile "But if you still think its being nice to feed her that I will gladly let you take her home after she eats it, you can deal with the 2 weeks of sick beagle and have fun cleaning up the mess" Well oddly they decide that it is not so important to share with Poppy

We will at times write please don't feed me I get sick on a scarf or something when going to places just to be safe their is a cool little bar up the road where they make home brew beer and wine, they are all about dogs, bring your dogs serve you in dog bowls and things lots of fun dogs are welcome and encouraged to come. I just keep Poppy on a leash when we go there I figure sometimes better to be safe then sorry