BC Boards

Our transatlantic adventures

We'll after weeks of being transient we have finally made it to England. Rievaulx made it safely but he made it very apparent that he was not happy with the experience.

Completing all the paper work was challenging as I was terrified that something would be forgotten, with the help of an amazing vets office manager in Aiken and the USDA office in Columbia we were all sure it was right.. Then we had to choose a crate my husband and FIL were convinced that he would fit in a 500 series crate... I had some serious doubts but we measured him another 10 times and it was marginal but worked... $300 difference on fare and another $100 on the crate...

We found our way to correct cargo terminal in Atlanta easily, the British Airways lady was very helpful, we were lucky that she was inexperienced as she let us measure him our selves, so we could shrink him a little!... But it took almost 2 hours to check him in, we had 45 minutes to return the rental car and check-in ... There are no signs in the international terminal to show you where to go... I ended up chasing down a shuttle bus with my fingers crossed that it would take me in the right direction...... no time to fill it up, I hate to think what Avis are going to charge. We were the last people to check in on the flight...

Arriving in London we picked up yet another car... And then set out to find the animal reception center with a GPS app we had never used before, while driving round Heathrow's ring road... All on the left hand side of the road, which I have not done in 2 years.

We got there about 2.5 hours after landing and Rievaulx was ready for us, they had cleaned his crate up, bagged the bedding, but rather than a happy dog to see us we got the sulky version, he was happy to get fussed but was not the exuberant happy dog we normally get.

It has taken the last three days for him to not be grumpy anymore, we can walk out of my mothers house and walk down the seaside and for a short walk we don't even need to take a leash with us. (She doesn't live in the country)

Tonight we are going to play agility, which should make him happy and on Sunday we have reservations for his first Sunday lunch in a pub....When I have visited here, I always thought it would be fun to have my dogs with me... It is

I know we are not supposed to find human emotions in our dogs, but I have a dog like yours that definitely sulks and lets me know the she is not happy with me. With a very definite nose in the air and back facing me....she will show me. They are amazing. Good luck with your travels.