BC Boards

Tess weaving

I've found that the 2x2 method is really intuitive to dogs.

I noticed that you dog is looking at you expecting you to throw the toy when she is in the last pole. That can lead to pop outs down the road (ask me how I know). I would put a jump after the weaves and reward after the jump.

Very nice off side entry. I have not tried the 2x2 but a lot of people do.

You want to keep that forward drive and I agree with Blackdawgs. I would also try not throwing the toy every time or maybe throw it from back a little farther. But she is looking good.

Last week a friend of mine that I trial with sat down on the ground in a direct line with the weaves, a ways back so as not to interfere and took a video of Kian running the weaves. She took a front and rear one. It is cool to see it from their level.

I've found that the 2x2 method is really intuitive to dogs.

I noticed that you dog is looking at you expecting you to throw the toy when she is in the last pole. That can lead to pop outs down the road (ask me how I know). I would put a jump after the weaves and reward after the jump.

I too am overly familiar with the 10th pole pop-out! Our weaves used to be something of which I was very proud. Then over arousal on the part of the dog and inattentiveness to criteria on the part of the handler resulted in the last 2 poles being considered optional. :) We're working back through all 12 poles and we'd just about fixed the problem... until last week where I tried to send away from me through the weaves and tried to call her back through a tunnel. Out she came at the 10th pole again.

So, basically, stay connected with your dog until the very end, proof proof proof and reward straight ahead. Good luck!

And since I just recorded this video last week, here's the weaves I have with my Aussie. She used to single-step them but she seems to prefer to double these days. I think single-stepping is probably faster, but I'm not concerned enough to focus on retraining her footwork. She's my first agility dog and as such is my guinea pig. We trained via 2x2 too. Her entries are stellar.

What the others have said. You need to build in speed and fluidity of action now. I note that her front feet get a bit confused although that could be because you are moving quite slowly yourself. Try geeing her up by being more animated and the footwork should sort itself out.

What I have to do really is stake the poles down...she moves the metal bases a bit and I think that messes up her feet sometimes. They are also only 20" spacing I believe but competition poles are 24" spacing. She does look better going through the 24" poles. I'll work on adding a jump after the weaves. I have another video where she's coming straight to the camera and I noticed in that one she was watching me and anticipating the toy.

If I get any more animated or fast, she pops out and just races me. Same as if I try to run and get ahead of her doing any of the contacts she will leap off the top of it because she gets over excited.

Jumping off not a good thing as she can get hurt. Sure you already know this. Ki had a tendency to bail on the dog walk. But we have worked through that now. LOL Bowwowflix has a lot a agility DVDs on agility and impulse control. They have really helped me.

We tried something new at practice last night with the weaves. It is supposed to help with the forward drive and hitting the entrance. Took the 12 poles and separated them into 6 with a space of about 3 or 4 feet between them still in line though.

They have to find the entrance twice. Never missed a beat with them this way.

The only way I can get ahead of Ki is when she is on a contact ( I make her wait ) then I can lead out but otherwise forget it.

Very nice weaves. Weaving is a very difficult skill.

As others have noted, try to throw the ball a split second sooner so that she doesn't look back to see where the ball is coming from. The dog should always be focused ahead. Also, the ball should be thrown/rolled on the ground to keep the dog's head down. I think that helps with speed and the focus forward.

If I get any more animated or fast, she pops out and just races me. Same as if I try to run and get ahead of her doing any of the contacts she will leap off the top of it because she gets over excited.

This is pretty common, and it can be hard to train away completely. Getting her to focus forward at the end will help (I usually toss a toy or treat low from the off hand in the weaves and use a target for contact training). You can also practice different length leadouts so that you're further and further ahead without the distraction of motion. A third thing to try is running (or jogging) at very slow speeds - separating new movements of your body (arms swinging, bouncing up and down) from sheer speed. If she can focus forward through all of those steps, it will be easier to ramp up speed and keep her focused forward.

• 3 weeks later...