BC Boards

Managing a picky eater

So, Indie is proving to be a picky eater. He's 9 months now and was a good eater at first, but since around the 4-5 month mark, it's been a challenge to get food into him. He's fed twice a day (Acana) and will often grab a couple bites before wandering off.

As a result, we'd often train him in order to feed his meals since he would eat that way and it was a good way to bond when he was young but we don't always have the time to train and feed each piece of kibble to him in the morning. I'd like him to eat what I put down and efficiently.

Upfront, he's been cleared by the vet multiple times - no parasites, worms, nothing. His coat is soft and shiny, and his poops are decent (I'd like them to be firmer, but they aren't worrisome) They are firm when he eats both breakfast and dinner.

So, we've started to food rotate (not just as a result of pickiness, but also because I think variety is good for dogs) and be stricter with meal times. He now has 10 minutes to eat his meal. If he doesn't finish or walks away, up goes his bowl. If he finishes, he gets a treat. He's now on Acana Chicken and Potato (before was Duck and Pear). We don't fancy up his kibble other than the occasional fish oil because we don't want to make him pickier. The strict timelines are helping it seems already.

I'd like to hear if there is anything else you think we can do, and what you guys do with picky dogs. I'd also like to hear about anyone's experience with rotating foods.

Edited to add: We feed one cup in the morning, one cup at night (or at least, we want to, if he eats it haha) I'd like him to put on some weight.

Definitely not emaciated but could stand to gain a couple pounds. I'd rather dogs on the thin side anyways but think he could put on a couple if I'm being picky haha.

I'm not at the point of worry, it's more just about efficiency. But I suspect that as long as it is clear that he gets a limited time to eat, he'll start to hurry up.

At that age, I like my puppies to be skinny. It is easier on their growing joints. Once they mature, they tend to put on more solid weight. I was just at a friend's puppy class and forgot what little gazelles most Border Collie youngsters are. If the vet says your guy is fine and he has good energy and attitude, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tess was bad for eating right away when she was a puppy. The other 2 dogs were inhalers wheras she would look at the food and if there was anything more interesting going on, attempt to wander away. I always had to encourage her to eat. When she was about 1.5 we went away on vacation for 5 days and my parents watched the dogs (in the same house as normal). Tess got stressed and didn't eat but would still play and be active. When we got back she was similar - would sniff and then turn her head away. I ended up doing something I'd read online.

I took away her food for 24 hours. Not even any training treats or anything, just water. Then I put about 10 kibbles in the bowl in the morning. She sniffed it and looked away so I picked the bowl up right away and nothing until dinner - then the same 10 kibbles. She hesitated for a couple seconds and I took it away again. Next morning same 10 kibbles - she ate it right away this time. Dinner time another 10 kibbles - she ate eagerly. Next morning I doubled the amount and that night I doubled it again. The next day I did 2/3 of her normal meal and the day after that her full amount. Since then she has eaten every meal right away with no hesitation, even on the 2 occasions we were away and my parents were looking after them.

I own a picky eater. When I got her at 10 months I felt like I had to beg her to eat. I was also trying to get her to gain weight and I felt like I tried everything and she just wasn't interested. She wouldn't even eat most treats I tried to give her.

I started very strict feeding times, but it didn't help. She just wouldn't eat. So I started leaving it down. My vet recommended I put her on puppy food, so I put her on orijen puppy for awhile, and that helped her gain weight a bit.

Eventually I've noticed that she self-regulates really well. If we do a lot during the day she will eat all of her food in one sitting. If we don't do much that day, she will just pick at it. Once she got to a weight I wanted her to maintain I cut her food back and she typically eats all of her food now.

I had already decided to feed a rotational diet before I got her, and I think that has helped her more than anything. I mix two kibbles at one time. I usually always have a bag of nutrisource and I mix in something else. Typically whatever high quality kibble I can find on sale at the time.

When I started my new job and I'm gone all day I give her a stuffed kong in the morning. I stuff it with kibble and wet food, and anything else I decide to add in that week. For example, I don't like the yolk of hard-boiled eggs so if I make them for breakfast for myself that week I put the yolk in with her mix. I always mix the kibble ad wet food, stuff five kongs, and freeze them for the week. At night she gets 1 cup- 1 1/2 cups of dry kibble. Since I've started this she typically eats all of her food every day.

I have one of those and got some really good advice from his breeder. He now has to work for his bowl -- sit-stay, down, heeling, whatever comes to mind. If his nose leaves his bowl, it gets picked up and we can heel around the house some more. It seems to taste better if he has to work for it....