BC Boards

Teeth Snapping during play with other dogs

She looks so vicious! I know it is just play and Orion knows it is just play but I highly doubt others will see it that way. Also I am wondering if this play snapping could turn into nips and or bites. We tell her no snapping as we really don't have a better word for it.

when playing she repeatedly bites at Orian bites never touch his body its more snapping in the air rite near him. Accidents could happen. Its loud and fast and I just do not think this is proper play

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions

I have two dogs that engage in very vigorous play at time, with plenty of air snapping and sounds that would make your hair curl, and it's all play - no one gets hurt, they know when to stop it (and if I want it stopped, I say so and it stops), and they all have a good time. Just like the neighborhood kids did when I was young, with cap pistols and shouts and yells. Every now and then, one of us would get a scrape or other minor boo-boo. That's real life, and that's real play. Your mileage may vary.

I should tape the sounds sometime as they are pretty vocal.

Does she play with other dogs outside of your household? If so, does she do the same with them?

Meg plays different with dogs she knows well vs dogs she recently met, much like you and I behave different with strangers vs people we know well. We know those who are close to us and what is acceptable and what we can get away with. Just wondering if this is the case with your girl.

As long as its clearly play and the other dog doesn't mind, I wouldn't worry about it much. If she's is interacting with other dogs, just make sure they are ones that will give her fair warning if she goes too far.. Be ready to call her back and end the play session if she is warned by the other dog and doesn't heed their warning.

Much like a kid, its best to let them sort things out for themselves, but you should step in before things go too far. especially when someone else's dog is involved.

She does play the same way with some dogs ie a 5 month pit pup and her they play for hours rolling around and all but never any aggression. with little tiny dogs she does not do this she more tries to herd them or run being chased by some of the more outgoing smaller dogs.

I just thought Id double check I know she is not meaning any harm just would never want someone else to read it that way. the only one I ever see her getting too carried away is Orian Those two can get quite ruff so well have to chill them out now and then neither seem to think it is necessary.

Thanks for the input I will just keep a watchful eye on her. Just don't want to condone behavior that could turn ugly when shes older

Learning restraint, limits, and interaction from actual activity at a young age is more likely to lead to good social (and play) skills when older rather than leading to increasing undesirable behavior. JMO.

I watched very close today while the dogs were playing, it almost seems that she is careful not to snap too close to Orian and he does it too!! Its not just her lol silly kids

Last night I had her and Poppy to a local park, its very shaded had her on leash a great big dog very muscular dog was off leash he came charging up to us I thought ok here we go she is going to panic but nope she went rite into play mode not tail "between legs arching back with hair up. The man called to me "please catch my dog" so I did, all was fine no problems no fear from Gidget at all -phew- ( that fear snapping I know is not meant for play but saw none)