BC Boards

"Family Dogs"

I read the boards every day and not going to lie, to me, there is a "my dog is 'working' border collie," and a "your dog is 'just' a pet," vibe.

Well, just a guess but I think pet/sport owners may outnumber working dog owners.

I got Quinn for agility and obedience but I ended up dropping out of dog sports when he was two. He has been "just" a pet and "just" a fantastic companion his whole life.

To me, I see the family dog as a member of the family. Silly right!? Every member has its job or place, status if you like. So maybe that family has a farm...so some members work it. So maybe the family has a tiny flat...and the members provide comfort, company, education. And everything in between. But always a member of the family.

This is says it perfectly.

Regarding the working/pet dog vibe its there but I have never taken as a derogatory, but the reality that those with working dogs rely on them for their livelihood and so their relationship is different to those of us who have our pets as companions and I think we have to respect that working dog owners are the ones maintaining the breeds heritage, and even though us pet/sport homes adore our dogs the relationship is not the same.

This is says it perfectly.

Regarding the working/pet dog vibe its there but I have never taken as a derogatory, but the reality that those with working dogs rely on them for their livelihood and so their relationship is different to those of us who have our pets as companions and I think we have to respect that working dog owners are the ones maintaining the breeds heritage, and even though us pet/sport homes adore our dogs the relationship is not the same.

You're right about the working relationship. It's something I'll never know, to actually rely on your dog in order to make a living... That must establish a different kind of bond. That doesn't mean it's better or worse just brings to light how very special some family members(pets) can be.

It's more of a trust that I see as different when you rely on a dog to do a job. Most pet dog owners never establish the same level of trust because they don't need to/don't train together as much. I know when one points this out it sounds kind of elitist, but trust me, once you experience it you understand. As far as "family dogs" goes, I got the breed because I wanted a working partner but the dogs I have are very much family members.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha. I remember meeting my first old-sheep-dog-guy at an NC trial. I was scribing for him. He told me how women let their dogs sleep in the bed with them. He said he thought that was stupid - until those women starting beating him at trials. :lol: He said he figured if he could get dogs to work for him like those women, he'd let them sleep in the bed, too!