BC Boards
airbear

The 2014 Bluegrass Classic Stockdog Trial

I travelled to Lexington, Kentucky, to take part in the 2014 Bluegrass Classic. While Rex and I didn't have the best of luck with our runs, we had a lot of fun. It's neat seeing dogs from the other coast, and the field was laid out in a way that provided good photo opportunities.

Patricia MacRae's Jim.

DS4_1803-L.jpg

Doug Brewer's Ben

DS4_1821-L.jpg

DS4_1830-L.jpg

Jenny Glen's Hemp

DS4_1836-L.jpg

Robin French's Bill

DS4_1901-L.jpg

Lori Cunningham's Matt

DS4_1913-L.jpg

Recognize this dog? Hint: scroll up to the banner at the top of this page.

DS4_1931-L.jpg

DS4_1923-L.jpg

Stephanie Goracke's Gwynn

DS4_1985-L.jpg

Fiona Robertson and Fen

DS4_2001-L.jpg

Robin Queen's Zac

DS4_2057-L.jpg

Robin and Zac ran in near darkness, but a last sunbeam landed squarely on the sheep at the set out.

DS4_2053-L.jpg

Robin and Zac setting up the shed.

DS4_2066-L.jpg

Kathy Keats and Craig had an incredible finish to their run. Pressed for time, they managed a spectacular, gutsy shed and a fast pen. This run put them through to the double life finals.

DS4_2166-L.jpg

DS4_2167-L.jpg

DS4_2172-L.jpg

View of the Open field from behind the post. Alasdair MacRae on the field.

DS4_2175-L.jpg

Alasdair MacRae's Sweep

DS4_2181-L.jpg

What turning the post with 20 sheep looks like. Alasdair MacRae and Sweep in the double-lift.

DS4_2217-L.jpg

Alasdair and Sweep calmly shed off the unmarked sheep. Their run was gorgeous.

DS4_2226-L.jpg

Ron Enzeroth's Mick

DS4_2264-L.jpg

DS4_2275-L.jpg

Roy Taber's Craig

DS4_2306-L.jpg

DS4_2310-L.jpg

Bev Lambert's Nan

DS4_2342-L.jpg

DS4_2345-L.jpg

DS4_2349-L.jpg

Allen Mills' Sis

DS4_2384-L.jpg

DS4_2392-L.jpg

At the end of the day, Alasdair MacRae and Sweep were the champions, and Ron Enzeroth and Mick were reserve.

DS4_2421-L.jpg

It was a lovely trial, very well organized, and despite the unseasonably chilly weather, the handler's tent was filled with laughter. Glad we came, we'll be back!

Your photos are, as always, wonderful - thank you for sharing them with us!

Great Photos! Did you happen to get any of AJ Espinosa and Brooke or Pike? He was the top Amateur handler in Nursery and most promising handler. The photos show how tough the sheep were

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

It was a fabulous trial. I look forward to coming back again next year, too! :)

These photos are wonderful!

This is a little off topic... but is it just me or are tri's becoming more common in the working lines nowadays? I only ask because I enjoy looking through the archives at threads like this one with stunning photography of trail runs. I feel like I'm seeing a LOT more tri-color BCs in the more recent threads.

Anyways, I always love looking at your pictures from these events. You have a knack for catching the intensity of the action. It's like we get to enjoy being there without having to suffer the weather. ;)

This is a little off topic... but is it just me or are tri's becoming more common in the working lines nowadays? I only ask because I enjoy looking through the archives at threads like this one with stunning photography of trail runs.

I can't speak for others, but I have a strong preference for tri's, and therefore, they will be overrepresented in my photos. :D I would say that, at the trials I attend, the black and whites outnumber the tri's by a lot.

Great Photos! Did you happen to get any of AJ Espinosa and Brooke or Pike? He was the top Amateur handler in Nursery and most promising handler. The photos show how tough the sheep were

I saw parts of his runs, but I was recording scores and didn't see enough to comment. I'm pretty sure his name was in the placings when we did composite scores, but after doing a LOT of math, my brain was a little scrambled. He was also very polite when he came to the trailer to check scores in the pouring rain :) (Score boards were blowing over & got moved inside).

Sorry I missed your runs, Kristi! And the double lift. Next year, I'll be back for more days... and with more brownies. Maybe I'll even waste an entry fee on running Hoot in P/N.

Don't neglect rhubarb bars. Or shortbread. Or whatever you make. It's worth a trip to Lexington just to see what comes out of your magical backpack...

Ben, your brownies were AMAZEBALLS! Thanks for sharing! Good to see you again, even if I had to fly across the country to catch a glimpse of your cute face. :D

Maybe I'll even waste an entry fee on running Hoot in P/N.

Ben, you're not wasting money - you're just a donor (like me) at this point in your trialing career.

And I use the term "career" very loosely. ;)

I agree: It was great to finally meet you Ben, and the brownies and rhubarb squares were amazing.

Camden's Mom,

Funny you should mention that. I set sheep on the novice field, so saw every dog that ran on that field in novice, pronovice, ranch, and nursery, and I thought to myself that there were a lot more tris than I'm used to seeing. But that just may be a cyclic thing (and of course dogs were running in multiple classes, so maybe I was just seeing the same tris over and over, lol!).

I've already made plans to meet a few folks on the field at the BG next year. Maybe we can get a list together. If I actually manage it, I would likely be running Birdie in P/N and nursery. We'll see. That means getting off my butt and actually training her....

J.

I've been seeing your Bluegrass photos posted and shared around Facebook, always a pleasure to look at. Excellent job!

Camden's Mom,

Funny you should mention that. I set sheep on the novice field, so saw every dog that ran on that field in novice, pronovice, ranch, and nursery, and I thought to myself that there were a lot more tris than I'm used to seeing. But that just may be a cyclic thing (and of course dogs were running in multiple classes, so maybe I was just seeing the same tris over and over, lol!).

I've already made plans to meet a few folks on the field at the BG next year. Maybe we can get a list together. If I actually manage it, I would likely be running Birdie in P/N and nursery. We'll see. That means getting off my butt and actually training her....

I don't expect the tri's will outnumber the traditional black and whites anytime soon, but I sure do feel like I'm seeing a lot more of them even just in pics on this forum.

I didn't know if "styles" of working border collies could wax and wane based on successful bloodlines. IOW if there was a great bloodline that had really fluffy, curly haired BCs would we see a spike in that look? Just curious as I'm still figuring out how all of this works. :P

On a slightly related note, would someone be so kind as to clue the newbie in as to who exactly the wonderful dog in the banner up top is?