BC Boards

A great dog park and an awesome new shelter in SC

We are currently staying with my FIL in Aiken SC, and yesterday went to visit the dog park, dog parks are a place we usually stay away from, but this one was different. Combo lock to get in, (there is a fee to use it) immaculately clean, a paddling pool, lots of grass, shaded benches for people... endless supply of tennis balls. I understand the shelter volunteers monitor the park behavior when they are there and the aggression and bad behavior rules are strictly enforced, resulting on you get tossed out.

The park is run in conjunction with a state of the art shelter, after all the rescue topics we have had on here about the importation of southern dogs to the north is is great to see such a great facility in South Carolina and the community support it has, the place was full of young volunteers when we went.

My FIL told me it was privately funded by one family and combined the town and county shelters (that weren't nice) into this one run by the local SPCA.

I've always had mixed feelings about dog parks. We have a lot of terrible ones in my area and a few that are phenomenal.

At the end of the day, no matter how well manicured or how well up-kept the dog park it all boils down to the quality of the dog owners who use it. The terrible dog parks are filled with people who don't watch their dogs, don't clean up after their dogs, let their young children run wild with the dogs (I really hate this) and are far more engrossed in their phones then anything else going on around them. I avoid these places like the plague.

The excellent places have owners who closely monitor their dogs and all the interactions going on around them. They help keep the place clean and safe for everyone. This park you visited seems like it's got good owners AND a volunteer staff acting as a second line of defense.

It sounds like a wonderful place and it makes me wonder if all dog parks wouldn't benefit from having a "lifeguard on duty". Sure, some owners would still be lazy but I'd like to think many would learn a lot about dog behavior and what is/is not appropriate by having someone knowledgable there to help them monitor their dogs. Either way, it sounds like the place you found is pretty incredible and I'm guessing you'll be getting a lot of enjoyment out of it while you are staying with your FIL! Have fun :)

It is a cool place, but we really don't like the limitations of an enclosed dog park as we like to walk with our dogs, today we of to explore a large city park that welcomes off leash dogs that are under control... It's mission is to provide equestrian trails and others are welcome.

After having lived in New England and watched the enormous importation of southern dogs, it was just really nice to see a community having the same type of modern shelter as the one we had in our dog loving small Rhode Island community.

we go to one dog park its said to be the only good one in the area, with that said lately more and more doggie drama is happening, 2 big huskies attacked an old beagle on Christmas Eve causing thousands in vet bills, the woman got her dogs and ran, another whos ear was ripped almost off. I agree it is not the dogs its the owners. I prefer to go to the smaller park on the bottom of the hill but it is not quite big enough to go for walks and what not.

Yesterday we went to a place called Indian Canyon, it is beautiful there, we choose to go to a part where the canyon is not a major drop off because this was Gidgets very first outing off leash not in a fenced in area. We didnt want anyone running off the cliff or playing and falling off. It was amazing! Gidget was such a good girl came back when called. We still have a bit of work to catch her but she will come now with a little help from a turkey dog hehe. We were full ready for a bit of trouble and had the mindset to stay calm and deal with anything that happened, we had a wonderful time and so did the 3 dogs

I would love to see volunteers at the dog park keeping things running in a more organized fashion it would weed out some of the problems. Id even be interested in being a volunteer I think I will speak to SpokeAnimal and see if they would be interested in organizing some sort of volunteer group. I am sure many at the park would love to be involved