BC Boards

is this average weight?

Hey guys,

Jack has is now a year old so I weighed him to see if he is healthy, I can't find any info on his correct weight for this age so thought id post here.

He weighs 18.5kg (I think thats roughly 40 pounds). Is this average/healthy weight? He was one of the largest of his litter but he seems to have stopped growing.

post-15269-0-01303600-1400216321_thumb.jpeg

Hey there,
In short, yes, he is probably fine. There is so much variation dog to dog with BC's that I'm not surprised you couldn't find a "correct weight". He should be pretty much done growing by a year, definitely height-wise and he may fill out a little more in the next year or so, but 40lbs is absolutely reasonable - he is just a bigger dog, like you said. How tall is he?
I can't tell much about his body from the angle/posture in the picture but hopefully someone else will be a better analyst. In the meantime you can check out this thread, it might be helpful to you: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=7572

Hey there,

In short, yes, he is probably fine. There is so much variation dog to dog with BC's that I'm not surprised you couldn't find a "correct weight". He should be pretty much done growing by a year, definitely height-wise and he may fill out a little more in the next year or so, but 40lbs is absolutely reasonable - he is just a bigger dog, like you said. How tall is he?

I can't tell much about his body from the angle/posture in the picture but hopefully someone else will be a better analyst. In the meantime you can check out this thread, it might be helpful to you: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=7572

sorry its the only photo I have at the time, he's 50cm (21 inches?) Tall. Also he's pure bred if that makes a difference.

Ours is around 21 ins, medium build. He was that height when we got him at 8 months but a very skinny 14.5kg. He is now around 19kg at 8 years old and has been at that weight since 18 months or so.

So yes, your dog's weight is probably OK if you can feel his ribs with light pressure and he has a noticeable waist.

The best way to tell if your dog is a good weight is to put your hands on him and feel.

Here's a body condition chart that vets often post in their offices: http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/body-condition-scoring-chart

The thing to remember, though is that border collies should be on the lean end of this chart. The chart's good as a guideline, but a normal, healthy sighthound would rate emaciated using it. Border collies aren't as extreme as sighthounds (well, some young dogs can be!), but healthy condition for them is definitely leaner than many dogs. You want to be in the 2 to 3 (max) range.

From everything I have read weight varies on average from 25 to 45 pounds and height can vary like 17 to 22 inches or so. There does seem to be a big gap in what they can be.

By the way your dog is gorgeous. I think the colorings are remarkable. Mya is a mix and a smooth coat although when we brought her home she was a puff ball with a whife fuffy chest like your dog. She is probably like yours. Outside in the sun she has a reddish glow to her but inside or in the overcast sky she looks dark brown...

Thanks for that link, I've only been around here for a year so I missed it (by 8 years!). Fun and interesting to see/read about others' Collies. Now the link is old and 4 pages so I kinda went through it briskly and got the impression that the average weight comes to around 30-35 lbs (but I could be off). I'm still pretty new to BCs so I guess that only surprises me because I've always guessed/assumed the average would be more around 40-45 lbs. But as many have already mentioned, they are typically very lean so they're size can be misleading.

I have a 13 month boy who is 51 lbs and 27" tall (he has some legs!). You might think that's huge but he's so lean and light on his feet (very springy) that I look at him and think there's no way he weighs that much but he does.