BC Boards

Learning how obsessive border collies can become.

We turned our very quiet and stable life upside down over the last few weeks as we start the journey to move to Europe. First we started selling furniture, having yard sales and movers coming, which meant that the house kept changing which upset Rievaulx so he was not in a good mental place, and lots of people came by. Nearly everyone who came by got the border collie treatment, throw the ball at the feet and wait for it to be thrown, and most fell for it... And my normally melo and calm dog started to become manic.

Once we closed on the house and moved out, we have been visiting friends and family before leaving, and everywhere we have gone he has worked the crowd, and I have had to play the role of mean human and force him to chill, as opposed to him doing it himself. Now we are with my FIL who adores dogs, and we are being very careful to keep both of them from going over the top.

Even with our first dog who was not a border collie we always asked for quiet time, so when we started living with border collies, it was just the way we lived with our dogs, and our subsequently our foster dogs, so I have never really witnessed how nuts they can become when you dont make them stop, it has been eye opening.

Isn't it crazy!!! I get BC and other herding breeds who have not even a tiny off switch through foster because people don't make them stop. It's interesting though because once we create a calm dog when we ask them to be it still requires us teaching the adopter because if we don't they go right back to crazy lol