BC Boards

Been looking for a breeder for so long! Help Please :)

Hello,
I know there have been many posts about breeders on here and I have gotten useful information but still need a breeder! We have been looking for about 2 years and have gone to 3 trials (Rochester NY) but can't find anyone actively breeding. I have a few names but no one returns my calls.

We have been fostering dogs and next spring would really like to add a purebred puppy to our family. We know there are great rescue dogs (we've helped many BC find homes) and have fostered many puppies as well. We will continue to foster but want to add a working bred border collie puppy to the family.

Most of the breeders in my area are sport or have dogs that are skinny with horrible gaits etc. Look at Glen Highland Farms Flat Creek dogs that just came in. No way I'm going to a breeder with dogs so un sound looking. (ps. not that those dogs shouldn't find good homes but I wouldn't support a breeder with dogs like that)

Does anyone know a working breeder who is planning a litter for spring 2015? I'm willing to travel.

We are looking at Thompsons Farms VA or Culleymont Farms PA but they haven't responded either.

Please don't suggest a rescue as I work with one and know of the many wonderful options there but want to go through a breeder. Thanks so much for any information!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.fetchgatefarm.com

Located in the finger lakes. She responded to an email I sent right away. No clue if they have a litter planned for next year though.

I would continue to go to trials and introduce yourself to people. I think we take the internet and it's handiness for granted sometimes as most working folks will not be advertising their upcoming litters all over the internet like other breeders do. On the other hand I know how tough it can be to approach strangers at a trial but everyone has been nice to me in the past.

NEBCA has trials listed as does the USBCHA page.

Yes, Heather at Fetch Gate Farm replied to me right away, too. She was super nice. I didn't end up with a puppy from her, but I was very happy with the communication that she and I had back and forth.

Now if I wanted a dog from sport lines I could get one from down the Street. Except the dogs have no focus and no off switch from being bred to be fast over and over again :P. I'm hoping some things are worth the wait. Everyone please keep the contacts coming! Thanks so much.

I'm the same way having worked with a few different herding breeds in rescue that were so out of their mind because of crazy breeding. The owners had to give them up, They come a mess and leave with a nice off switch :) but its not an easy task!

Trial season is upon us so you need to be very patient with breeders responding. Do go to trials to talk to breeders. Many don't have web pages or keep them up to date.

Fetch Gate Farm puts on several excellent trials every summer. Come out and watch! I know they just had a litter this winter. Not sure if all are sold.

I would not recommend Thompson's Border Collies.

Many of us just had litters this spring and are not planning any more until next year. However, I start a waiting list quite far in advance and notify people on that list when a breeding takes place. People on the list get priority for picking a puppy. In other words, contacting breeders early is the right thing to do.

I'm not in a hurry (been waiting since I was 10 ;) to be ready) We are fostering in the meantime. Liz like you said I really want to find a breed I like with sound looking dogs that are true to the breed. I'm willing to go onto a waiting list I'm not actually wanting a dog until Feb-August 2015. Would rather not raise a puppy during our NY winter. And really just want to stay away from tris and rough coats better (cold here)

Could someone tell me if they know anything about

http://www.darnfar.com

Please feel free to PM me as well.

I lived in central NY (near Binghamton) for 4 years. Preferred my smoothies in the winter. They didn't seem any colder than the rough coats and they didn't pick up giant snow balls in their fur.

Haha good point I'm really not that concerned with coat etc. Just like the traditional look best if available and energy etc fits well here. I had 12 years with this girl snowshoeing etc so I know all about those snow balls in fur. :)post-16064-0-06852000-1399075714_thumb.jpg

DarnFar is active in AKC. If you look at the information on their dogs page, you will see they have nothing but AKC titles. One of their bitches is from Rising Sun. If you search this board you will find some discussion about that breeder as well. I wouldn't get a pup there. I was trying to remember why I knew the name, and it's because I was on an AKC herding list and she was an active member there.

J.

Getting a quality BC should not be this hard!! I have puppy fever so bad. (lucky I have 4, 10 week BC/Lab fosters coming in June) Anyone else know of a breeder with a planned litter for 2015?

I'm with Liz in not choosing to recommend Thompson's and with Julie in not recommending DarnFar. Cheryl Williams is a good source and I hope you are able to get in touch with her. Sometimes what you really need to do is make contacts, make connections, establish relationships, etc., before the good breeders will really consider you as the best breeders really don't produce very many puppies at all individually.

Go to more trials and *volunteer*. Helping out may be the best way to make contacts and let people know you are serious.

Would you consider an adolescent or young adult dog rather than a pup? Sometimes good breeders get one back because it doesn't work out in the original buyer's pack or doesn't demonstrate the working ability, interest, etc., that the buyer wants - but that youngster is still going to make a terrific sport or active pet dog for someone like yourself.

I have many age groups in the house at times and still really want a puppy. I got my first dog as a puppy at 10 and although I've bonded with many dogs as fosters I always have the mind set of getting them ready and sending them on their way. Although I do have this girl still right now who may end up staying here a while. She has attacked a dog (had to be put down) before coming here and I'm very picky with adopters because I've never gotten a dog back I'll work with the adopter on training first. Anyway I'm serious and will Hopefully get out to FetchGate in July for the trail so I can start building the connections. It's about 2 hours for me. I've raised quite a few puppies as well but with fosters I have to give them up! If I went in saying well maybe I'll keep one I'd have 50 dogs haha.

post-16064-0-25694400-1399082625_thumb.jpg

I have no input on breeders in that part if the country, but would listen to those who have chimed in.

I can however share that, at least in my experience, it is well worth the wait. I too felt rejected due to no contact from people or short, blunt responses of no. It was about two years before I had my pup in my waiting hands. He has been more than worth the wait, I'm so happy I held out for a well bred pup from a great person who stays in contact and is interested in what we are accomplishing. Timber is definitely the little sheepdog I had in my dreams. I hope you find the same thing.

http://www.wildblue.us/ this is where I got my current 8 month old BC puppy from! They're primarily from show lines, so are bred a little smaller, but a lot of working traits and drive have been bred into them! Overall, they are great dogs!

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1958419_10200554065093369_2029616539_n.jpg

pic of Skye!

Bethgeorge95, I have no doubt you love your pup, and that he makes a great pet, but please read the "read this first" post from Eileen the mod (you find it on the top of the page of each forum).

You might then realize how irrelevant your advice is on this particular board.

http://www.wildblue.us/ this is where I got my current 8 month old BC puppy from! They're primarily from show lines, so are bred a little smaller, but a lot of working traits and drive have been bred into them! Overall, they are great dogs!

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1958419_10200554065093369_2029616539_n.jpg

pic of Skye!

NoNoNo!!! I'm sure you have a great pup, but you DO NOT have a great breeder!!! Somehow you have missed that the whole point of this entire website is that the working Border Collie needs to be preserved and the ONLY way to do that is to ONLY breed Border Collies that work to a HIGH standard in STOCKWORK. Anything else is ruining what makes these dogs great. They are great because of the many generations of careful breeding that made them what they are today. And what they are today should not be pretty little fru fru dogs that prance around a ring.