BC Boards

very dog aggressive

I just adopted this dog well kind of got put into this situation (just posted story) in other thread anyways I am not experienced with BC but she is VERY dog aggressive she is young only about 1-2 yrs old. very skiddish of humans still but has come a long way since I had her for 5 month now. but the dog aggression I feel hopeless and don't know how I can make this better!? Any suggestions?

post-16277-0-23591700-1398737506_thumb.jpg

I am just seeking information what "others" might have done to help the issue of dog aggression! I for sure didn't come here to be attacked because I ask a simple question. I thought ONLINE FORUMS are there to ask questions or ask for suggestions OR ask for experience that others might have had that they could share with me. THis is my first Border Collie and it is OBVIOUS a total different breed than my Labrador was. And like I said I wasn't out there looking for a Border Collie I saved this dog from being euthanized so I am trying to gather as much info and try to learn as much as possible about the behavior issues of BC's because I heard dog aggression is very common in BC's!

I don't see any attacking here... The fact is, there are a MULTITUDE of reasons why a dog might have issues with other dogs. Fear, anxiety, reactivity, reacting to the "bad manners" of other dogs, lack of training/socialization, just being a jerk. Can you post some specific issues/situations/questions?

Hello Jamierenae ~

Flamincomet wasn't trying to turn you away, but to caution you that dog aggression is a problem that can't be adequately diagnosed over the internet. Particularly when you have not offered specifics or details telling us what happens, when it happens, how it happens, etc. From what little you've said, it simply sounds like you have a dangerous dog, and most people are reluctant to offer long-distance, sight-unseen advice for a situation that could result in tragedy.

There are many causes that could lead to dog aggression, all of which would need to be assessed. Was this dog abused? Was it used as a bait dog? Was it under socialized as a pup? Was it bullied by other dogs as a pup? Is the aggression fear based or territorial? What are its triggers? What are the situations in which the aggression occurs? Is it worse on leash or off? Is it aggressive to all dogs or only certain types? Is it scared of all other dogs, or is it reacting to overly-friendly dogs, or is it trying to eat little yappy dogs, or is it anxious and uneducated in how to meet strange dogs in general?

You say it's skittish of people too. Might you be exposing it to situations that are too overwhelming and scary to this dog? If you are running into a lot of dog aggression in this dog, where are you taking him that he's meeting other dogs?

This is very complex for people to address over the internet, especially with so little information. People could try to offer suggestions, such as teaching the dog the "look at me" trick every time it starts to key on other dogs, redirecting its attention from other dogs to some toy or treat you carry, or paying attention to what distance the dog can get from other dogs before reacting and making sure you stay outside that distance ... but what if we're wrong?

You've given the impression that you own a skittish, dangerously dog-aggressive dog. There is no easy fix for something like that and the very safest thing to do is rely on someone who can observe your dog and you, and give you hands-on advice.

I do wish you luck.

~ Gloria

I'm in complete agreement with previous posters. There's not nearly enough information provided here for anyone to even begin to offer suggestions on how to deal with it.

Another comment: Aggression and skittishness, whether towards dogs or people, is not border collie specific, nor are the approaches people use to dealing with them. Yes, there are some breed differences, but no so many as you might think when dealing with these particular issues. And from the pictures you've posted, it's not clear that this dog is a purebred border collie, making breed specifics even muddier.

Without knowing the details, I recommend keeping her away from her triggers (dogs and people in this case, I am guessing) as completely as possible until you can have her evaluated by the trainer. There is an old but true saying, "Management always fails," which is where training and other interventions come in. But management can work for a couple weeks to keep the dog and others safe. Good luck. I hope the trainer gives you helpful information and an effective approach to address the behaviors.

• 1 month later...

I understand . BC's are something that is hard to prepare for. They are not lassie and have some of the most closet attributes to a wolf. So aggression is short of a kill. Fantastic dog that will lay its life down to save its pack. You have awesome dog. be patient and your rewards will be great..

And this kind of response isn't likely to help elicit advice from people. Maybe you're stressed because you're in over your head with this dog. And I hate to be the one who says it, but isn't it possible that the aggression is the very reason this dog ended up in a situation of "about to be euthanized"?

The people on this forum often give of their time, energy, experiences, and expertise, but as others have already said they can't do that if they aren't given much information to start with. And even if they do give help, without seeing the actual behaviors and situations in which they occur, their advice is still going to fall in the category of "you get what you pay for."

I have seen countless times where someone asks a question, people answer, and the OP gets upset because the folks trying to help have made assumptions and they are the WRONG assumptions. But when given no real information to go on, they did their best.

Also, if you want to reach a larger audience you might want to post this in the General Discussion section, with greater details as outlined by Gloria.

J.

I am just seeking information what "others" might have done to help the issue of dog aggression! I for sure didn't come here to be attacked because I ask a simple question. I thought ONLINE FORUMS are there to ask questions or ask for suggestions OR ask for experience that others might have had that they could share with me. THis is my first Border Collie and it is OBVIOUS a total different breed than my Labrador was. And like I said I wasn't out there looking for a Border Collie I saved this dog from being euthanized so I am trying to gather as much info and try to learn as much as possible about the behavior issues of BC's because I heard dog aggression is very common in BC's!

I understand . BC's are something that is hard to prepare for. They are not lassie and have some of the most closet attributes to a wolf. So aggression is short of a kill. Fantastic dog that will lay its life down to save its pack. You have awesome dog. be patient and your rewards will be great..

Where on earth does this (mis)information come from, HJTRAS?

"Closest attributes to a wolf"? In what way? And where does this come from? I'd really like a reference for this. (Actually, the sptiz breeds are genetically closes to wolves.)

And advocating patience for a potentially dangerous situation involving aggression is really poor advice.

I'm very sorry to derail this thread, but these statements are so out there that I couldn't help commenting.

If a BC is truly aggressive, generally it's because the dog has suffered some kind of abuse or trauma, or it has an underlying medical problem. This poor person's dog was a rescue, so who knows what happened to him before he came to her. Aggression is NOT a trait of the border collie breed.

~ Gloria