BC Boards

Herniated Disk

B Point

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew a dog who had idiopathic meningitis of the brain. He was an old dog when this was diagnosed but made a very good recovery (he had a bunch of other health problems, too). Best of luck that the steroids can work their magic! Please keep us posted.

Thank you everyone..it means a lot. Most people just don't get it.

For now, I just wish we could get a handle on the incontinence. Staying on top of just that part is a full time job. Expressing the bladder helps and I've gotten pretty good at it but it's bit of a nasty cycle...the steroids make him thirsty so he's drinking a lot more water but of course now he's peeing constantly. We shaved his abdomen as he was getting a rash and I dip him in the bath a few times a day which is helping to keep him clean.

Hangin in there for now..

I just wanted to offer you moral support. I have been through the whole thirst-inducing steroids/bladder-expressing thing with a smaller (standard Dachshund) dog, so I can imagine it must be much more difficult with a bigger dog. Sending good thoughts your way.

Do you have a belly band for him? If so, lining it with a disposable diaper might help. It'll pull/hold the moisture away from skin. Also, for a rash check out regular diaper rash ointment. It'll help protect/heal his skin. Desitin is great if you can get it there. Keeping you and Tio in my thoughts and hoping for a good outcome!

Do you have a belly band for him? If so, lining it with a disposable diaper might help. It'll pull/hold the moisture away from skin. Also, for a rash check out regular diaper rash ointment. It'll help protect/heal his skin. Desitin is great if you can get it there. Keeping you and Tio in my thoughts and hoping for a good outcome!

Yes! He now has a belly band and I rigged up some velcro that works with the male lap diapers. The largest size they come was too small but with a piece of wide velcro across his back which sticks very well to the diaper material it works perfectly!!

We have some 0.5 chlorohexinene (sp?) from the vet that seems to be working for the rash.

Perhaps a little progress...he's much more with it today and scooting around the house with maybe 60% movement in one leg and 20% in the other. Both were near 0% a few days ago. Seems to be holding his pee a bit better as well.. Fingers crossed..

I find myself checking this thread often hoping for updates on Tio... I'm so very glad to hear of the recent improvement and I hope things are continuing to get better!

Thank you and thank you all for the best wishes.

Tio is about the same. My wife seems to think he is improving ... however, I think he's just adapting. I hate the Prednisone he's on. Dealing with the pee and incontinence is a constant issue. We have a lap band and diapers but with the volume of urine we have to change the diapers at least 8 times a day and that is with me taking him outside for routine bladder expressions. I guess a good point about living in an aging society like Japan is there are plenty of human adult diapers to choose from and they are significantly cheaper than doggy ones. We have another week to go with the steroids so we'll see after that.

He can stand and use his left hind leg fairly well but the right is still floppy and when he does get it in a proper walking position the paw is still curled up. Although...he is moving the leg around quite a bit more like trying to scratch and things like that.

Out of curiosity I have been researching wheel chair harnesses but man,,,a young Border in a wheel chair just seems so wrong.. He'll be one year old next week..

Anyway, one day at a time for now I guess.

Thanks,

Chris

Out of curiosity I have been researching wheel chair harnesses but man,,,a young Border in a wheel chair just seems so wrong.. He'll be one year old next week..

You'd be amazed at how well they adapt and get around like there's nothing stopping them.

Check out Roosevelt's story:

http://www.today.com/pets/roosevelt-border-collie-has-new-deal-two-wheels-1C6440993

http://www.dogheirs.com/misst/posts/925-happy-go-lucky-border-collie-gets-around-despite-no-front-legs

Don't give up hope. When my dog had a spinal embolism (not the same thing, but the same end result--paralysis), she regained use of one hind leg really quickly but the other took a while--long enough that I was considering amputation. So it may just take a little while. Are you still consulting with the vet regarding the antibiotics? I wonder about continuing the pred, since it's an immune suppressant and he's got an infection? Did the vet discuss that?

J.

In line with what Julie said. I was taking care of a springer spaniel that had meningitis that affected his brain. He drooled like crazy and he couldn't blink his eyes - among other strange things. His eyes would roll in different directions sometimes. It was so weird.

It took time but he finally got completely over it. Finally his eye lid starting blinking again - that took a couple of months at least. They had to put drops in his eyes all the time.

I'm dealing with a dog with Cushing's right now that drinks and drinks and then pees and pees. It's a really difficult thing to deal with. It's frustrating.