BC Boards

A walking question!

Hey all, as you know, I have a 16 week old Border Collie, now I was wondering with regards to walking, how much is too much in one hit, as I want to take him on a longish walk, but I don't want to push it.

Cheers! :)

It's also a good idea when you go for a long-ish walk to try to keep it on softer surfaces, like grass or a dirt trail, as much as possible. There's also a lot to be said for "stopping to smell the roses". If you are taking a long stroll but your pup gets plenty of chances to stop, sniff, potty, explore, play, etc. then I think it's OK to be out a little longer. The way I understand it (and I could be wrong!) constant repetitive motion, like walking or jogging at a steady pace without breaks, can be just as high risk as going long distances when they are that young.

Well, let's see. By the time Feist was 16 weeks old, she was going on 1-2 hour offleash romps, key point being setting the pace for herself. We stopped a lot and I would let her do whatever she wanted (which would usually be...more running around). Personally, I think the 5 minutes/per month rule is pretty extreme, and I'd rather have my puppy learning how to control her body, and run properly, from a younger age. YMMV. Leashed walks, I'd be careful just because dogs will keep going even if they're tired if you're walking them on leash.

The five minutes per month of age is only for structured exercise, not puppy play, because as you say, dogs will keep on going even if they're tired if you're walking them on leash. Allowing them to run and play at their own pace and flop down for a nap whenever they want, is not structured exercise, but you still have to make sure puppies don't over do it.