BC Boards

SEEKING HELP/FEEDBACK REGARDING EHRLICHIOSIS RECOVERY

My border collie Carly (spayed female) is 4yrs old, 39lbs and has led an active and healthy life. I'd like to share what's been going on with her in the hopes that maybe someone has some insight from having known of a similar case.

A month ago she began to suffer joint pain which I attributed to an awkward fall while jumping out of the car. However, since then she has presented most of the symptoms of the tick transmitted decease Ehlichiosis. But has tested negative twice. Her symptoms have included:

- irregular lameness on different limbs and lower back

- doesn't sit, has trouble getting up and laying down

- fever

- nose bleed (yes and it was horrible)

-cough

-depression/lethargic

- loss of interest

-loss of appetite

Has been on antibiotics for two weeks and will continue for two more. Although there has been some improvement (no more nose bleeds), it has been up and down with regards to her joints, energy and spirit. She's been to three vets including one specializing in internal medicine and a chiropractor.

My question is whether anyone has had or known a dog that has suffered from this and has gotten better? Should I expect her to get better after the recommended round of antibiotics? What about steroids? It is devastating to think that she won't make a full recovery. But I want to be realistic and would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

To jvw: She can't take any more meds besides the Doxy because her liver enzymes are high (probably due to the round of anti-inflammatories given at the onset).

To Journey: Glad to hear yours fully recovered. That's what I want to hear! Unfortunately, in Carly's case, for the first two weeks it seemed like an injury and had tested negative to the SNAP4. Was put on pain meds, muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories. Then when she had the nosebleed and the fever, we started the Doxycycline. Two more weeks to go. Yesterday she had a setback and started to limp, no energy. Today she seems a little better so I am, once again, hopeful.

To Juliepoudrier: Thanks for the links! Also, great pictures everyone!

Or her liver enzymes are high because there's something else going on. Just a thought. Did the vets do any other blood work?

At 39 lbs I'd treat with 400mg doxy a day (200 am and pm) for 8 weeks. As Julie mentioned the tick-l list is a great resource. Join and post there and you will get good advice.

Just to add to what's already been said, many on the tick list (including vets) feel that most vets don't treat at a high enough dose or for long enough. They believe that the best hope of a cure is to hit it long and hard from the start. Even a dog who wasn't treated right away should be able to recover if given appropriate treatment.

I haven't been on tick-l in a while (since I moved and my e-mail addy changed), but I do remember seeing a discussion fairly recently about whether it was actually doxy causing a rise in liver enzymes in dogs with TBDs or the infection with a TBD itself (this may have been referring just to Lyme; I don't remember).

If you read the first link I posted, you will see that there are also alternatives to doxy, specifically I think Imizol can be used in dogs who can't tolerate doxy but who are positive for E. canis.

One thing I have learned in all the years I was on tck-l is that you really have to do your homework, Although they are becoming more informed, many vets just aren't that experienced with treating TBDs and so you really do have to go out and get information and be an active advocate for your dog.

J.