BC Boards

Looking for breeder in Michigan or surrounding states

Hello I currently own a bc and would like to add another one to our family. I am in northern Michigan willing to travel but need some names of breeders. Yes I have thought about a rescue but think it would be easier for my current BC to adjust to a puppy. Thanks for any info.

Welcome!

Please don't discount rescue as they sometimes have puppies although the demand may be high enough that the puppies don't make it to the website before they are adopted out to people who have already done the paperwork and other requirements in advance. They often have young dogs as well, which might also work with making introductions easier with your current dog.

Do remember that to a certain extent, puppies are unpredictable and can turn out to be quite different than they seemed to be as a pup, once their personalities begin to take on their adolescent and then adult characteristics. A young dog or adult that has been fostered by a reputable rescue is more of a known entity - for instance, a good rescue will have evaluated whether or not a foster is good with other dogs, children, men, women, etc. It's something to consider.

That said, there are many fine people involved with Border Collies in Michigan and there should be a few of them on here. I hope someone will chime in to point you in the right direction.

^^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm not sure why people think their dogs will be able to adjust better to a puppy. Puppies can be a real PITA, to other dogs as well as for people. I know quite a few dogs who don't care for pups, but who do just fine with adult dogs.

Whatever you decide to do, best wishes.

Fwiw I prefer to bring in a puppy vs. an adult dog. I've had old dogs, they all have quirky relationships. Its easier for me to work in a pup to our pack rather than an adult or even young adult who comes with its own quirks or habits.

That being said im sure you can find some nice pups in both rescue or a working dog breeder.

Hi! I have a six month old female black and white smooth coated BC named Ella that I am trying to find a home for. She is sweet, smart (of course) and loves to retrieve balls and Frisbees. She is house broken, has had all of her shots to date and is spayed. She has been through her first puppy obedience class. I live in northeast Indiana and am willing to drive to Michigan if you might be interested in meeting Ella. If not, I know you will find a great pal for your BC. Cyndy

I would not rule out rescue either, we got our bc mix pup at 9 weeks and love her to death. But here is a breeder in Hemlock, Michigan who has pups now and due the end of April it seems. [Link deleted by moderator]

and here are some more [Link deleted by moderator]

Edit: I very rarely edit a member's post, but while I'm grateful for Mom of Mya's kind intentions, it's not a good idea to recommend specific breeders or lists of breeders without first-hand knowledge about them. --Eileen

Seriously? BCSA breeder website? and a breeding facility with a large number of bitches and sires with links to another breeding facility with multiple, multiple bitches and "sires" both with a major concentration on color......including breeding dilute to dilute....... never thought I'd see such things on these boards.............sad.

^^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm not sure why people think their dogs will be able to adjust better to a puppy. Puppies can be a real PITA, to other dogs as well as for people. I know quite a few dogs who don't care for pups, but who do just fine with adult dogs.

Whatever you decide to do, best wishes.

Not to derail the conversation from breeder references, but I have to say now, from my own experience, that this can be very situation specific.

I said "older dog way easier to integrate than puppy" for years, but that was because Speedy was terrified of puppies and none of my dogs at the time cared much when new adult dogs came into our home, whether for a day or longer.

But now that has been flipped on end because Tessa earns the title "bitch" when any adult dog who is not a member of our household comes into our home for any length of time. She will tolerate them because I tell her to, but she gets on a fine high horse and stays there for days if the newcomer happens to stick around for a while. This is absolutely a home-specific thing. She is perfectly lovely around other dogs out and about at dog events and in public - even the same dogs she went into a snit over for being in our house!

But bring in a puppy and she is over the moon. She actually crawled into a strange man's lap in our house because he was holding a puppy! (Unheard of under normal circumstances) Dean and Tessa both enjoy puppies, so . . . . well, ask me in a few months how it went!! :D (My prediction - it's going to go just fine, taking normal "new household member adjustment" stuff into account)

So I think the situation can just vary from one household and one group of dogs to another . . .

But here is a breeder in Hemlock, Michigan who has pups now and due the end of April it seems. [Link deleted by moderator]

This isn't a breeder we here would recommend. Breeding for color, some ACK dogs, no indication that they're proven on stock. Nope, not someone I'd think twice about.

and here are some more [Link deleted by moderator]

And this page is worse. BCSA is anathema to everything we stand for on these Boards.

I'm sure you mean well, Mom of Mya, but please familiarize yourself with the Boards' philosophies (readily accessible on the home page) before referring to breeders we can't possibly endorse.

Not to derail the conversation from breeder references, but I have to say now, from my own experience, that this can be very situation specific.

Of course it can be different from dog to dog, and I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't. Sorry if it came off that way. (And, as it turns out, the OP knows from her or his experience that the dog doesn't do well with other adults.)

It's just that heading up a rescue application committee I see many people believing that their resident dog(s) won't accept a new adult dog into the home only to find out later that it isn't necessarily true. And I've seen pups relinquished to rescue because the adult dog wouldn't tolerate the puppy's shenanigans.

So I was just trying to dispel the myth, if it were operating in this case. ;)

I bought my girl out of Mi, she told me to stay away from jawanna.

In getting my puppy fix I look at puppy find and she is listed on there. The pups I have seen don't look healthy at all, and have funny shaped heads. Plus what others have said about her.

I would definitely stay away from her.

*Any* breeder who advertises on Puppyfind, Kijiji (sp?), or any similar site is someone to stay far, far away from. I'd also advise avoiding anyone who advertises in any of the dog fancy magazines, even the more respectable magazines. When that happens, there are too many puppies being produced and they are being marketed. A listing in a respected stockdog journal or similar resource (Sheep Dog News from the UK, The Working Border Collie, Stockdog News, www.handlerspost.com, for instance) might be a place to start but even then it is wise to really check out the breeder. You will find some top breeders and trainers listed there but some that might be less than stellar, as well.

You can always ask here and also ask for PMs in reply if you prefer.

The best way to find a good breeder is to make good contacts - listen and learn from people here, go to USBCHA-sanctioned trials, volunteer, meet people, make contacts, learn from others with experience, and be prepared to wait for a good breeding that might produce something you would like.

• 5 years later...

I got my first border collie almost ten years ago from jawanna “border collies”- just did a dna test and he is 12.5% Australian Shepherd. A friend also purchased a Blue Merle puppy about 4 years ago, which died shortly after from seizures. He was refused a refund unless a necropsy was done.  Not a fan, sorry.

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2020 at 2:49 AM, ErinGlass said:

I got my first border collie almost ten years ago from jawanna “border collies”- just did a dna test and he is 12.5% Australian Shepherd. A friend also purchased a Blue Merle puppy about 4 years ago, which died shortly after from seizures. He was refused a refund unless a necropsy was done.  Not a fan, sorry.

Erin, Please contact me.  We have 3 year old BC form this same breeder and she has seizures.  :(  tnoll944@yahoo.com