BC Boards

Question for those who have flown with their dogs

I have the crate size we need sorted, what I am trying to figure out is suitable water/food containers. BAs requirements are that the food and water continer are accessible from the outside, but I am trying to figure out how that works with the food container,...... And have people used the hamster style water bottles, because if that is the way to go then I need to get one soon so he learns to use one.

Thanks

My preference is for metal crate buckets (flat sided) clipped to the door. They are accessible from the outside if they pour water through the bars. It's my understanding that they actually open the crate door (if the dog is not aggressive) to give food. I guess if you kibble is small enough, that can be shoved through the bars too. You don't actually have any food or water in the crate when they accept the dog for shipping (not allowed). Yo provide directions for when your pet last ate and had water and when they are due to have more.

You have metal crate screws? (They have to be purchased separately from the crate.) The screw and the nut must both be metal.

Make sure you have all required stickers and the releasable cable ties. Sometimes they run out at the airport and not all airlines provide them.

Be very sure the exact crate is airline approved. For international flights, you need ventilation on 3 sides (door does not count) and sometimes need to go up in crate size.

You can generally get a copy of the actual check list the airline employee will use to inspect the crate. That helps a lot in your pre flight planning.

I just bought the cheap plastic water/food containers that I could get in the pet store. I attached the resealable baggie of food to the top of the crate with duct tape. I brought my own pull-ties and shut my own dog's crate myself after the security check and just as he was to go back to be ready for loading. The health papers were also in a bag attached with duct tape to the crate, with emergency info. I made sure beforehand that he could stand up straight in the crate, which meant my crate (this was for Dan) was a size bigger than his wire crate at home. He had a couple of blankets to lie on for the trip.

He was neither fed nor watered that I know of during the trip, which was about 10 to 13 hours one way (two round trips a year apart) but he was adult and seemed not bothered by that at all. He would have had the food he needed should there have been a problem.

Good luck with your trip! I know there are people who fly dogs all the time, very successfully.

Thanks Liz, haven't got the crate yet, British Airways require him to have the largest vari kennel, he is long bodied and long legged, he looks lost in one but when he stands the mastiff sized crate fits my border collie, they seem to require more space than Virgin which is my other option, but BA seem to offer a price that includes handling in Heathrow while with VIrgin you have to pay another company in London. As he is flying to England I am being very careful about all the paperwork and every other factor, this can't go wrong

Sue we were typing at the same time, thanks for the info, I can't imagine he will eat, he doesn't like to eat on good day. I just want to make sure I get everything right as we will be on the same flight and so don't have much wiggle room if I forget something. I think check in is 4 hours before and then he has to be cleared through heathrow so I imagine he is going to be in that crate for 12 hours.

I don't like the cheap plastic crate cups that are sold for airline travel because they are way too small and they rarely stay attached to the door. The airline employees agreed with me on that. For an international flight that might require food and water to be offered, I would want something less likely to come loose.

I found this web page to be very helpful.

PS, for international travel I believe you need the Sky Kennel, NOT the Vari Kennel.

Like I said, Dan (who actually made one other trip, one way to us as an eight-week old pup) was on the plane for anywhere up to 13 hours. What I did like about the cheap white plastic cups was that they were flimsy - and would not hurt him if he got bounced around in the crate somehow.

I think what Liz P mentioned are good but I just didn't choose to use those. They would take up a lot of room, would be more likely (I think) to cause injury in a problem situation, and my dog never was on a flight where he was fed (I know that for sure) or watered (and I didn't know that for sure) and that suited us just fine. It might have been a different story in a different situation.

We were fortunate in flying with Alaska as at either end of the flight, they made it possible for me to keep Dan with me until about an hour before boarding so he could walk around and relieve himself. They checked his crate and kept it behind the counter so all we had to do was check him when I loaded him. He came off at the baggage claim calm as a cucumber and relaxed each time.

I'll admit that as a pup, he was really eager to get out of his stinky crate - "Rescue me, now!"

I've flown my dogs to/from Europe, Africa and the U.S. Suggest shredded or regular newspaper as bedding, as soiled bedding can be disposed by putting into the trash while still at the airport, thus not having to transport a potentially stinky crate from the airport to a hotel/home. And paper is a pretty good insulator.

The other thing I like to do is put ice instead of water in the water container/bucket. The ice will start to melt as the dog gets loaded, but putting water in most containers just results in it likely getting spilled while the dog gets loaded. You might be able to get a cup of ice at the airport or bring a water container with ice already frozen inside with you to the airport. A folding water dish is nice to have in your own bag, as they mostly come off the plane pretty thirsty.

I (and Dan's breeder) put in the absorbent pad that came in the cheapy pet travel kit but also towels (when he was a pup) and blankets (when he was adult). Disposable material is a good idea or bring a plastic bag big enough to hold any wet or soiled material.