BC Boards

Weirdest thing....

My 16 month old male border collie will not poop anywhere but in his own backyard. We got him at 9 weeks old and he has never gone #2 on a walk, at the dog park, literally anywhere else but our back yard. We just went on what was supposed to be a weekend trip(sons hockey tourney) and I ended up bringing him home last night because he would not go #2. The hotel was only an hour and a half from home. We got home around 6pm last night and he ran in the house to the back door. I let him outside and watched him. He ran to the yard.... And pooped. Within 5 seconds. I have to admit that I like the fact that he doesn't go on dour walks because we are usually gone over an hour and I like not having the carry the stinky bag around. But at some point in his life he will probably overnight somewhere besides our house....any suggestions on ways to get him to go? He's due for his shots this month so I plan on talking to our vet about it. Or am I worrying about something that will eventually resolve on its own? If we had stayed at the hotel-maybe he would have "had" to have gone?

I have run into refusal to poop, due to objection of location, with a couple dogs. It is really frustrating but what I do is take a deep breath, relax and tell myself when it is urgent enough for them, they will go. They are housebroken and will wake me up if needed. I think the longest wait was 36 hours. Just keep taking him out and using your potty word. If you don't have a potty word, come up with one so you can give him an additional cue to potty, for crying out loud!!! :)

Happy was like, she even grew up travelling, she simply would not go. we would be gone for 2-3 days eating normal, drinking plenty, and competing, under no circumstances would she go pee or poo until we got home, drove me nuts. only after years of constant travelling for competitions did she eventually start pottying, and even then it was mostly pee, if I was very very very lucky there was a small chance of her going poo.

even now only 1 of my 6 dogs will potty on a walk, thankfully they will potty when traveling but only off leash

My Brody would pee anywhere but if he was on a leash or not near bushes he would not do anything else, he liked his privacy and would back into undergrowth or shrubs to go. At agility trials I would try and find places that I could let him off leash and some greenery for him. Most of his overnights we always found spots, but he would keep his legs crossed all day if I could not find somewhere that he approved of.

Opposite. My dog will not poop in his own (fenced at great expense) back yard. Nope. No way. Sometimes, if it's extremely cold or I'm sick, he doesn't get to go for long walks, and he will hold it like a champion - up to 36 hours, I think.

I'm not sure which is better. I hate carrying poop bags, but I like that I never have to worry about stepping in poop in my yard.

Mary

OK, this is only for travel emergencies, because it is really NOT a good solution to this problem. Inserting the head of a match into the anus will cause a burning sensation and the dog will strive to poop it out within seconds. If the dog doesn't go ahead and poop, remove the match, you don't want a chemical burn there.

I don't think I would wait too long. I had a lib I took care of that would only go in the backyard. They left him with a friend for a week and he never would go. And they had a terrible time getting him straightened out again.

I knew some people year's ago that had a beagle that would only go on papers. If they were travelling they would have to stop the car and spread out papers on the ground.

I have had dogs go without having a BM for 36 hours. Not sure if we ever hit 48 hours. They ddn't seem worse for the wear, though I'm sure it wasn't comfortable. I hate when that happens, but we get through it and my stressing over it never seems to help. :) . If they went more than two days, I would probably contact my vet to see what he thought. Quinn once ate a bunch of sand and went a while before he could poop (the big dope). I can't remember how long it took him before he pooped, but I was ready to call the vet the next day (this was over a weekend) if he hadn't gone by then. But in that case, I was concerned about impaction (the dope).

I'm actually glad you posted this as my dog has a similar habit. She's only developed it in the last few months, and I'm not sure why. If we go on a longer walk, she can't hold it an eventually goes. But on our normal 2-milers she won't go and then when I let her out one last time before going to work, she always poops...but in the yard and not on the walk. So strange.

Just curious. Anyone have their dogs refuse to poop in their backyard and would hold it for walks?

We just moved and neither of my dogs want to poop in the yard.

Don't remember ever having pooping issue with any of the previous moves....

Dexter has to run far AWAY to poop, and preferably only in shrubbery of some kind. At home he travels about an acre to find a private place. He has been this way since he was a puppy, and his siblings seem to share this affliction. Who knew pooping preferences were genetic? We were away for three days at Regionals a couple of years ago and no matter how many times I took him for walks, he would stand with his face pressed against the chain link fence around the playing field and stare longingly at the woods across the street.

I've never had a dog like this before; my other dogs will all poop on command. At Regionals he eventually pooped on the hotel grounds; they were fortunately dog-friendly and the dogs were permitted to be off leash, so he could travel some distance to do his thing.

RDM

• 2 weeks later...

My 16 month old is the same. Never poops on walks or anywhere other than at home and at my mum's house (we lived there for the first 6 months we had him). I've never really thought about it before. With that said, he doesn't need to go to the toilet as much as other dogs I had growing up. He sleeps inside at night and in the morning he is never busting to get outside. Let us know what you come up with. :)