BC Boards

Random Question

Hi! I signed into this board several months ago and asked about advice as to whether or not I should get a BC now or wait a while till I was established on my farm. I heeded your advice and have decided to wait to get a full breed BC. However I did deem it necessary to get myself a dog that could act as my protector. So I adopted a mut from a humane society type place. I was told at that time he would be a medium sized dog. They were wrong but I love my dog anyway and would not dream of parting with him. He is a one mans dog and is very devoted to me.

I was wanting some opinions as to what breeds he might have in him. I know this is a BC board but thought that some of you might have some expertise ideas. I have put up a picture from about a month ago. He has grown quite a bit sense this picture. Currently he weighs in at 64 lbs and is 24 inches tall from paw to shoulder. He is 7 months old today. Any ideas what breed he might be? I was told that he had Golden Retriever in him.

He is extremely intelligent and learns really quickly, but has a very short attention span. He has a high prey drive, and has also displayed some herding instincts. He also tires easily - what happens is he gives his all in what he does and therefore wears himself out quickly, his endurance is low- and is very clumsy. He is growing like a weed!!!

Any ideas???

post-15361-0-16240600-1394298127_thumb.jpgpost-15361-0-80431700-1394308844_thumb.jpgpost-15361-0-14845600-1394308875_thumb.jpgpost-15361-0-42511500-1394308967_thumb.jpgpost-15361-0-74385500-1394308981_thumb.jpgpost-15361-0-44984600-1394896560_thumb.jpg

can you post a newer standing-up pic? Instead of pointing the camera down at him, get somebody to hold him when he's standing and then you sit down on the floor 10 ft away and take the shot pointing straight. Foreshortening makes it really hard to get a meaningful look. Then we'll all have a go for you...

Okay. :) Good idea. :) I will try to get one before the day is over. I tried posting some better pictures but they exceeded the limit for file size. I will definitely do my best to get some better pics, and try to get them up before the day is over. Thank you for your reply!!

Okay more pics are up. Will they work or do I need to try getting more? Just let me know. :) He is a hard one to get to stand still, and if I have someone come and hold his leash he just wants to play and get loves - so that idea really did not work. I resorted to just snapping pictures when I could.

He has a medium length coat and a feathered tail - not sure how much you can tell either of those things from the pics.

ok- we're good -

bits of: cane corso/mastiff, leonberger, st bernard (might speak to wearing out and short attention span), golden? ok, maybe but Shiloh Shepherd I'd say - he's got big round feet, he's brindle? akita, at that weight at 7 months you have to figure there's some giant breed ... what are you inclined to guess? The second pic where he's sitting up is very guard-y mastiff-y at first glance...

My thoughts before reading the other comments were Cane Corso/Mastiff (which they come in brindle) and Golden. The second photo, the expression on his face looks golden-like. That black mask on his face reminds me of a Cane Corso. I am not seeing any Akita though.

He is absolutely adorable by the way!

Beautiful dog.

His face looks mastiffy (I know that's not a word) to me, and his tail looks like a Golden's.

He actually reminds me a lot of my niece and nephew-in-law's dog who's a short coated Lab X mastiff, also brindle . . . and big. Maybe 90-100 lbs. One of the nicest dogs I've ever met, so you'll be very lucky if he's anything like their dog. :)

Thought you might find this interesting: http://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.edu/library/research-studies/current-studies/dog-breeds/dna-results/

I can come up with a lot of possible breed combinations. I'm just going to throw out Anatolian Shepherd and Dutch Shepherd for fun. No clue really.

Some of those are very "yeah, right!"

Dandie Dinmont? they are pretty rare!

Thank you all for your input! I have wondered about Saint Bernard before. I have also wondered about the possibility of him having GSD and/or King Shepherd in him.

But I was not even aware of the breed Leonberger - and after looking them up and looking at pictures - Oh, my some of them have just the same expressions as my Frodo does at times. And Frodo's eyes match up and so does his temperament. I could definitely see him having Leonberger in him! I have also realized that since I got Frodo his feathers have been getting longer and fuller and the hair around his neck has been getting fluffier too.

I am also going to do some homework on the Shiloh Shepherd - as I have also not heard of them. I have to agree with all of you that I am thinking that he must have some kind of Giant breed in him.

arf2184 - I did find that article interesting! Thank you for sharing it! Although how do you read it? Are the percentages what the dog is really supposed to have in it and the ones to the side a guess?

And as for all of you with pictures of your dogs they are all adorable as well!

Anyway, thank you all so much for you input!!

Okay, I just posted another picture to help show you how big Frodo is. It is attached to my original post. :) My guess at this point is Golden Retriever/ GSD(maybe King or Shiloh)/ Leonberger - because Frodo just had another growth spurt and is now basically 25 inches from paw to shoulder.

In that last picture I sure see Golden and Mastiff.

Don't cha think odds of finding the unusual dog breeds in a shelter pup are a bit of a stretch? Maybe back in the pups heritage but not right up front.

I didn't know Golden's carry the brindle color. Learn something new every day....

I do love big dogs!