BC Boards

How do breeders know what coat a pup will have??

Just a random question.. I've seen a few times, going through websites or ads, where breeders with 8wk+ pups will say they are medium rough, rough, or smooth coated pups. Is it actually possible to tell this at that young an age? Certain signs you look for?

Just curious, I didn't know if that was possible or not :)

Interesting. When my girl was 8 weeks, her body was pretty short haired, but the hair at the very tip of her tail was about an inch or two long, so it seemed obvious she's going to be some kind of rough coat.

On a sort of split off that question... if you breed two rough coated BCs, will the litter only have rough coats? Or is it still possible to get a smooth?

Smooth vs rough is easy to tell when they are just a few weeks old.

What type of rough coat can be harder to tell (sparse vs medium vs lots of coat). Sometimes you get a mix in the litter of different types of rough and smooth, in which case you can take an educated guess.

Smooths even come in a variety (slick, thicker double coated like a GSD, etc)

There are even bearded Border Collies.

Smooth vs rough is easy to tell when they are just a few weeks old.

What type of rough coat can be harder to tell (sparse vs medium vs lots of coat). Sometimes you get a mix in the litter of different types of rough and smooth, in which case you can take an educated guess.

Smooths even come in a variety (slick, thicker double coated like a GSD, etc)

There are even bearded Border Collies.

And how is it that they can tell that early? What are the tell-tale signs of a rough or smooth pup?

Thanks everyone for the replies! Very interesting to me :)

we can pretty much tell which are going to be real short hair, which will be more of a average short smooth coat and which will be medium or rough coated by about 4 weeks factoring in what we know what the parents will produce. By 8 weeks a rough coated pup will be pretty much fluff, and a medium will be fuzzy when compared to the short/smooths. We have two different lengths of smooths, one is a real short smooth that is pretty much the same hair length everywhere and short the other will have a little bit more length on their hips and such until they blow their coat out, usually twice a year, then they will be real short haired again.

When they are 2-3 weeks old I begin to see in their neck area, especially if they have a white collar, which will be short haired and which will be long haired.

• 6 years later...