BC Boards
roscoe11

Snow, Atlanta, and Dexter

If you had not heard Atlanta, Ga was shut down because of 2 inches of snow. Yes, I said 2 inches of snow. Thousands of people where stranded in there cars. School kids had to sleep in busses and classrooms. It goes on and on. But thats the bad news, the good news is that since I teach college i had the last three days off. Here's Dexter finding out that chasing a person sliding down a hill on a piece of cardboard is almost as fun as chasing sheep

dogandsnow.jpg

I heard that news out here in Utah... where they are calling for 1-2 FEET of snow over the next couple days and no one is breaking a sweat. ;)

Looks like everyone is having a blast and I just gotta' say, Dexter is a very, very handsome dog!

Glad you got to enjoy some snow days! Hope you're not teaching a lab class; I know from painful experience how hard it can be to reschedule under such circumstances (I teach college as well).

A few years ago we lost a whole week's worth of classes because of snow. I didn't mind (much) - until they tacked on an extra week at the end of the semester and pushed finals back. Students were upset because they had to change their end-of-semester flights, and faculty were upset because they'd made other commitments.

But if you only get snow once in a blue moon, what for me is a major nuisance is probably only a minor inconvenience.

I sure felt for all the people in Atlanta who got stuck, though. On the radio today they were saying some people stayed in their cars when they got stuck - which meant they'd been there for 24 hours.

I just read we may get 2-3 feet of snow in another week. I'm ready for this winter to be over.

U of Cincinnati has been closed an absurd number of days, mostly due to cold. The roads have been fine most days. I've had lab just twice, and had a practical rescheduled four times before I took it on a SUNDAY. My dad has two lab sections who are three labs behind. I think in my four years in college in Maine, we had one day off because of weather. My last winter there, it was -40F for eight weeks, and we never missed a day.

If you had not heard Atlanta, Ga was shut down because of 2 inches of snow. Yes, I said 2 inches of snow.

It can be the same in the UK because we don't get much snow. We aren't prepared or tooled up for bad weather. No point in having a lot of heavy equipment to deal with events that Very rarely happen.

Some areas get it more often than others though and having lived in such a place, it seems people there manage better, although I remember not being able to get to school less than a mile away one winter. The fact that I remember it shows how rare it was. Most winters I would get my sledge out If it snowed and use it to get to school at the bottom of the hill.

No snow at all this winter here, just a lot of rain.