BC Boards

Stuck lamb--saving mama

RoseAmy

If the lamb died during the birthing, and it wasn't overly traumatic for the ewes, she should be fine. Make sure she has access to water & decent feed without a lot of competition. I've had to cut lambs up inside a ewe to get them out, an the ewe recovered with no additional help.

If the ewe is eating & drinking, able to stand and lie down sternal, then she'll likely be fine with some rest. If the birth was traumatic or dirty, then I'd keep a close eye out for infections.

Thanks! That's what I'm worried about..infection. I was here by myself, the lamb was rotated sideways with her legs behind her. She was so wedged in I couldn't push her back and could barely wedge my finger between the lamb and mom. Tried to keep things as clean as possible. She is up and eating some hay and been drinking water. I'm sure she is dead tired and sore. Time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a brutal pull a couple of years ago….smallish scottie ewe with lamb stuck in a back presentation. I worked on it for hours during the night, then I was worn out. Then a neighbor came and worked to shift the lamb and pull it (long long dead a this point). Then he call another fellow (old sheep codger) who finally managed to get the lamb out (in pieces). That plucky scottie ewe held up through the trauma of it all….I swear if she'd been a suffolk or some other show sheep she would have gone into shock and died.

But that ewe, jumped up and would have run off if I'd let her. I gave her LA200 and banamine and watch her for a week. No problems.