BC Boards

A Dog and His Ball Obsession

Do you mean the Chuck It? I get good accuracy with it and find it easier to throw the ball than doing so by hand. My yard isn't very big, so I don't do really long throws. I like not needing to handle a slobbery and/or muddy ball. For years, I thought the Chuck It was pretty stupid. As soon as I began using it, I was sorry it took me so long to try it.

Me too.

I can't throw, my daughter can, having played cricket as a bowler for 10+ years. I find the CHuckit great for distance, accuracy and versatility as to method of launching the ball meaning that there is less strain and jerking on my upper arm and shoulder.

I would get bored with mindless repetition of ball launching though. We incorporate plenty of variation and no we work and problem solving when the ball gets lost. They are getting much better since I started using a Chuckit.

The lady Donald met had an arthritic arm; she may have been contributing to OCD-type behavior in her dog, and she smacked June with the ball. Any one of those are good reasons to not throw balls, particularly for her.

Perhaps. In fact, I'm inclined to agree. But I just don't see how that particular reminiscence is relevant to the OP's concerns.

As for the Chuckit and similar ball launchers, I throw like a girl :( and the only way for me to get any kind of distance and/or accuracy is to use one. I wish I'd gotten one sooner than I did, too.

To respond to the OP, I'd be patient and persistent, and your BC will naturally drop the ball nearby. Then put a command to it. The reward is clear...another throw :) If your dog continues to be restless when the ball is present, put it away until the next game. -- TEC

Since I started this thread just a few days ago we've implemented a few of the suggestions given thus far. I have to say, he's been quite a superstar and his "give it" is already much improved. We'll keep working on it, but I have to say the turn around, in such a short period of time, has me very, very pleased (good boy!!!). Playing ball is fun again, thanks everyone!

As for keeping the ball out, my husband and I decided to give it a few days and see if his behavior might change at all. Maybe he'd be able to relax knowing the ball is always out? Nope. It's been much like Donald's experience with the dog just constantly pushing a ball into our hands, faces, at our feet, in our lap... you name it. He is relentless and we HAVE been patience and ignored him, but to no avail. His pester power is far greater then I has anticipated. This morning I woke up and rolled to the edge of the bed, where normally I'd be greeted with a cold nose or a quick face lick. Instead of my sweet boy's muzzle, what I saw shoved in my face was that freakin' ball. :mellow:

Needless to say we tried, we really did, but I am going to heed the advice that many of you have given and just put the ball away when we're not actively playing with it.

LOL. Fair enough. It was a very, very long time ago that I tried this for my really ball-obsessed dog, but I recall that it took weeks to get past the initial (OMG, there is a toy out) for both dogs, even the younger, less ball-obsessed one. And it took months for the more ball-obsessed one not to revert to that behavior on occasion. But I am nearly as persistent as they are, and it is nice to now have dogs that will not try to play with me unless I ask it, even if there are numerous toys around inside. However, everyone has their own thresold of tolerance, and all that matters is that you and he are happy :-)

This morning I woke up and rolled to the edge of the bed, where normally I'd be greeted with a cold nose or a quick face lick. Instead of my sweet boy's muzzle, what I saw shoved in my face was that freakin' ball. :mellow:

:lol: Had to laugh at this! Too funny but also why I decided from the start to put Quinn's fetch and tug toys up when we finished playing. I just didn't want him obsessing with toy in mouth. This morning I gave him a new toy to play with that is tough and squeaks. He tugged, fetched, caught soft lobs, pounced when told ok, chewed and romped for about 25 fun and squeak filled minutes. After no walks or fetch in almost two weeks due to weather and deep crusty snow, he was so thrilled with the new acquisition and very intense in his play. When he wound down, I picked up the toy and put it away. In this case, it removed any reason to obsess and while the toy is Quinn resilient, it would not last long if he decided to really chew. Once the toy was put away, he had a good drink of water and took a nap.